Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Geoffrey

HELL TO YOU! My first map (for Doom)

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to release my first Doom 2 map, Hell To You.

It's my first level after a 10 (15?) year break from building levels (though I used to work with Duke Nukem 3D). In the past few years I've actively been playing Doom, and inspired by wads like DTWID and NERVE and finally playing through Doom64 I set out to try and make my own originals-inspired Doom map.

It's made using Doom Builder 2 in Doom 2 format and thoroughly tested with GZDoom and Crispy Doom. I'm not sure if there's anything else I should've tested since I'm still exploring the ins and outs of Doom maps, so for now I'll release it here as an open beta. It's a small Doom-styled techbase with looping pathways and all skill settings included. I hope you enjoy it!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

HTY1.jpg.f9f46478520a8c9d0c855768ddbb958f.jpgHTY2.jpg.1007f8a64df2d836e5ec9ee436f70408.jpgHTY4.jpg.6df683744dc754c3fdf98ddf072243dc.jpgHTY5.jpg.f4ba5072ca92d567d18d88c33645fc53.jpg

Download:

HTY v3.rar

Edited by Geoffrey : Updated the map

The video might still be processing but I got to go. This was a pretty sick map and certainly for a first map good job. My only real complaint are those switches. They should hold the door open because now I always have to walk to the switch to open it up.

Here is the video:

A really strong comeback for sure. It's quite tough and pulls no punches with some really cheeky encounters but you balance it well by providing just enough to get the job done while also making the player sweat a little. Welcome to Doomworld, Geoffrey! I hope to see more maps from you in the future.

Really enjoyable. The only small annoyance was switches opening doors on timers, like the first green door you see at the start of the map. It wasn't too bad, though on longer maps it would become a bit tedious. Overall though this would be a great Map 1 to a WAD that was somewhere around a little bit easier than Plutonia difficulty or something.

Hope to see more maps from you!

Thanks for the feedback and the videos! I can take a hint regarding the timed doors - I currently have 3, and for the official release I'll leave just one, removing one and turning the third one into more of a conventional trap. They are indeed a bit tedious! 

I liked this map.  Though I agree with the idea that having to flip switches over and over to open the same door is rather annoying.  It may be a better idea to have the door stay open. 

Nice map buddy. Always awesome to see an older mapper find their passion again. Also kudos on making a challenging map with teeth without spamming high tier monsters - almost a lost art 

Whilst the idea of a map that loops on itself is pretty cool, this isn't done well.

For one, health is SERIOUSLY tight on HMP difficulty to the point I was constantly 1-2 hits away from death due to the lack of stim-packs and med-kits in the level. What doesn't help was the lack of any armour throughout most of the map (I did see a green armour somewhere but GL finding out how to grab it).

Secondly, the map really loves placing pinkies about the place with not that much bullet ammo. Fortunately, they're not too much of a threat and if you want, you can always knock a few teeth out.

Difficulty however is actually pretty fair, besides the low hp issue. Quite often enemies that do pop up aren't too hard to disband and any that are a threat can be dodged by quickly moving. With that being said, keep your eyes open, or a caco will eat you. ;)

Lastly, the constant switch pressing was getting a bit tedious by the time I grabbed the 2nd key. It's fine with the occasional door but after a while I'm just looping around and wasting time.

Overall though this is a pretty solid map! Also, I do love the tech-base design you got going on and the use of lighting on the curved stairs, lovely! <3

9 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

I have more than 2 years of practice. How is this level better than anything I can make?

Don't be intimidated, be inspired!

9 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

How is this level better than anything I can make

throwing yourself a pity party in another's thread isn't going to make you better - studying and practicing will! mapping is not just "the result of mapping". it is the result of years of experience doing other things too, including critically analyzing other game experiences. everybody grows at different rates.

Thanks again for all the feedback! I wasn't expecting gameplay videos so I had alot of fun seeing you all running through the level. And the song in your video is appropriate Clippy, that's the track they used in the Duke3D Lameduke alpha isn't it?

If I didn't know already I certainly do now: I was being way too strict with the route I wanted the player to take and I was using the switch doors to do so. I've modified this now! And the overall pacing AND the final part of the map (at least in ultra violence) are much better for it. I've attached the file to this post and updated the OP as well - I don't expect anyone to replay it but at least new players will get a smoother experience :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also added *some* extra ammo and health here and there.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, PeceMan said:

I have more than 2 years of practice

I've made alot of maps in the past! I'm just new to Doom mapping.

Thanks again for the feedback and the kind welcome!

Edited by Geoffrey

7 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Thanks again for all the feedback! I wasn't expecting gameplay videos so I had alot of fun seeing you all running through the level. And the song in your video is appropriate Clippy, that's the track they used in the Duke3D Lameduke alpha isn't it?

If I didn't know already I certainly do now: I was being way too strict with the route I wanted the player to take and I was using the switch doors to do so. I've modified this now! And the overall pacing AND the final part of the map (at least in ultra violence) are much better for it. I've attached the file to this post and updated the OP as well - I don't expect anyone to replay it but at least new players will get a smoother experience :)

I've made alot of maps in the past! I'm just new to Doom mapping.

Thanks again for the feedback and the kind welcome!

HTY v2.rar

It was rise of the triad music, the best music ever

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/rottmus

10 hours ago, PeceMan said:

I have more than 2 years of practice

the same way I could never get to the level of TiberiumFiend and Predators maps in red alert 3

1 hour ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

the same way I could never get to the level of TiberiumFiend and Predators maps in red alert 3

Been playing Quake for decades, why aren't I as good as Rapha yet? /s

Great little map! You definitely nailed the oldschool feel and design imo, and the looping and spiraling nature of the map is always nice.

Minor issue; there was a big HOM with the elevator that you ride up to the blue key.

Spoiler

doom00.png.b5fdfd207c0be09467fc077a6b2e6d35.png

Here's my skill 3 fda.

htyfda.rar

Woww thank you for that, that one's new to me. I'll get right on it! 

EDIT: Updated the map!

Edited by Geoffrey

Good stuff! really has that Vanilla, Shores of Hell / Final Doom-ish vibes that I supremely enjoy, with monster count and difficulty adapted to current standards. 

image.png.87da9bb624832e3e23905e0baab36971.png

This switch. VERY neat trick!

GLBoom+, -complevel 2: helltoyou.rar 

Maps like this make me consider quitting mapping, even if I know I'm improving. Nothing to complain, the level is perfect. I really like the way it works. Some stuff is a bit weird to me like the way the doors open. But that's good anyways. 

15 hours ago, Thelokk said:

image.png.87da9bb624832e3e23905e0baab36971.png

This switch. VERY neat trick!

Glad you liked it! I love how in some Doom maps (especially in D64) you never know when a floor is going to drop from underneath you or trap doors are going to open up, so I spent alot of time trying to think of similar tricks and jokes.

11 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Nothing to complain, the level is perfect. I really like the way it works. Some stuff is a bit weird to me like the way the doors open. But that's good anyways. 

Thank you. My next map will have normal doors, I promise! 

Remembering which switch opens which door is a good mind-melter. That one switch you press through the wall that lowers a lift with imp on it is super neat. And you never really know what's gonna happen when you see a new switch. Really solid comeback.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Geoffrey said:

Thank you. My next map will have normal doors, I promise! 

Oh, these also are good. They make the player think, which is what I wage most. Using both this and the "normal" doors, however, is best. 

Played the map, really well done, and it seems that it can run on vanilla from what i've checked on the visplane checker (via ultimate doom builder), though i am not sure if i can 100% confirm it, seeing i haven't checked if the Door sectors are tagged, regardless this is really nicely made.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be the case either, tested it with chocoderlimits and it didn't crash.

Edited by Redead-ITA