Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
imgonnagetcha

WADAUTHOR trouble

I just recently downloaded a WAD editor called WadAuthor. I understand all the ways to create DooM maps, but when I try to play them on Doom95, an error message that says something along the lines of "bad music number 168" or something like that. If anyone else has this wad editor and knows how to fix my problems, or knows of a better Wad editor, please HELP ME!!!

Try using ZDoom, JDoom, or some other source to play your maps.

Go to DOS mode, or open a DOS window. Next, type:

cd\doom2

Then type:

zdoom -file filename.wad

and ZDoom should start up and play the wadfile you wanted.

Well, I guess someone else can help you with that one. I use Windows 98, myself.

Create a shortcut of your zdoom.exe and then go to it's property.
In the command line you have the path to zdoom. Add :

asdf\zdoom.exe -file yourwad.wad

yourwad.wad in the wad you want to play. Of course for this to work, you must have your wad in the same directory of zdoom. I think you can do this if it's not in the same directory:

asdf\zdoom.exe -file C:\asdf\yourwad.wad

1.From your desktop click on Start.
    2. From the pop-up menu select All Programs.
    3. From the next pop-up menu select Accessories.
    4. From the next pop-up menu select Command Prompt. A DOS window will open up, and you will be in the default directory (most likely something like
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\
    5. Type cd\ to take you to your root directory (i.e., c:\)
    6. Type cd\(folder name)\(folder name) etc. to take you to your doom directory. For example, say you have a Games folder in your C:\ drive and your DooM folder within your Games folder. You will type: cd\games\doom and you will be in your doom folder.
    7. Assuming your ZDooM files are in your doom folder, type:
    zdoom -file filename
    Add any other parameters you choose (e.g., -skill 4, -warp 18, etc.) on the same command line. It might then look like:
    zdoom -file filename -skill 4 -warp 18
    8. Press Enter, and next thing you know you're having the time of your life.
A much simpler way of doing things is to create a batch file. Open up Notepad, and type in your command line (see Step 7, above). Save your file, which will save as a text file. From Windows Explorer change the extension of your file name from .txt to .bat. For example, if you saved your text file as PlayMap1.txt, change it to PlayMap1.bat. You can then either run the batch file (by double-clicking it) from your DooM directory or from your desktop via a shortcut.

okay, i downloaded the caverns of darkness WAD from this website and i did everything i was told to do, but when i do, the caverns of darkness title comes up, when i start a new game, it has all the music from COD, but the maps are from doom 2!!! It's driving me nuts!

Don't bother with the batch files or anything like that, just drag and drop the wad file you want to use onto the Zdoom.exe.

As for the problem with the maps not changing..... maybe it starts at a map other than map01?

ReX said:

ZDooM's up to v2.44 beta, which is the version available. Your link is to v2.43, which is not available at /lars

Ooh, didnt hear about that one.
/me downloads.

Yes the easiest way to play a wad with zdoom is to drag and drop the wad into zdoom.exe. IIRC, this can be done from different directories.

Edit: Heh, it's already up to 45.cab

Assmaster said:

Edit: Heh, it's already up to 45.cab

Damn! Randy should stop doing that.

Unbelievable that after so many versions it's still in a beta stage.

Since you're using XP, you can get Legacy which encludes a launcher in the package which you can use to select the wad you're playing. Easier than trying to get to dos prompt on XP.

[shameless plug]

Or you could try my wad launcher(see my sig) which is for windows and has been known to work with quite a few source ports(zdoom, edge, etc...)

[/shameless plug]