Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

Heretic/Hexen: Demo ports repository

Introduction:

As promised in March, i have setup a little FTP repository with links to various demo ports used in the Heretic/Hexen speedrunning community. Part of bringing this in one thread is to make it easier to find all these ports that are now scattered across various posts in the Heretic speedrunning thread and elsewhere. Although they are DW attachments (and thus ''permanent''), i don't think an extra archive hurts. Unlike Doom, where most of the ports used are usually PRBoom based and are collected on the DSDA pages, The Heretic/Hexen community does not have such a thing (as far as i know).

Even if it does, in either case: I just want to provide a one click download stop to these ports so that atleast one barrier (Of not knowing where to start) is eliminated, and perhaps participate in these communities regarding speedrunning.

Additional note: Both demo focused ports aswell as executable hacks are included in here. Basically everything related to demo's and Hexen/Heretic.

Credits:

A few people in particular:

• @PVS for supplying his jHeretic SE and ChocoHeretic/Hexen SE builds aswell as providing the Maraakate Hexen/Heretic stuff. And well, with this thread i am obliging to your post back from March ;)
  • @JCD For generously releasing several of his older hacks and ports. 
  • @kraflab for all your work on speedrunning in general.
  • @fabian for the Crispy work aswell as supplying a Crispy Heretic build.
  • @Opulent for everything demo-related over all these years.
  • @Fonze For sparring in PM and for being a constant reminder to ''The Fonz''. The Fonz is cool. So seeing a post by Fonze makes everyone look cool. ;)

PS:

I would appreciate if this could be stickied somehow. If it needs to be in the speedrunning thread, please let me know.

PPS - A personal note:
I don't want to spend a lot of words on this, simply because i don't know how to put it properly in words. But as i was writing this, i found out that Opulent suffered a personal tragedy back in March and has since left the scene. I am sure the seasoned veterans know of this, so i abstain from sharing the personal (but public) message he left on his forum. All in all, i hope for the best for Opulent, and this thread is dedicated to him. Considering all his work for the demorunners, it only feels just.

List of downloads:
Heretic:

Hexen:

Edited by Redneckerz : Changed Crispy 5.7.2+ to 5.8.0.

I dont understand why I'm credited; I've done nothing to make any of these ports nor did I provide you with anything useful. It's a nice gesture and thanks but I don't think I should be listed in the same place as people who did actual work forwarding the heretic demo scene.

That's sad to hear about Opulent though, I hope they're ok.

26 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I dont understand why I'm credited; I've done nothing to make any of these ports nor did I provide you with anything useful. It's a nice gesture and thanks but I don't think I should be listed in the same place as people who did actual work forwarding the heretic demo scene.

That's sad to hear about Opulent though, I hope they're ok.

Just a personal thanks really, aswell as for participating in these threads :) Talking to you was useful, henceforth, a thanks. If you want it removed then ill do so ofcourse :)

As for Opulent: I rather not wade much further publically into this but it was rather bleak, sort to say :/ Feel free to contact me privately on this.

@Redneckerz Why did you post the download of Crispy Heretic 5.7.2 when 5.8.0 is the latest version (and not to mention it added a lot of much needed features for Crispy Heretic)?

Also you might want to look at the "Russian Doom/Heretic/Hexen" ports. I think they are also demo compatible ports (not sure tho).

7 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Redneckerz Why did you post the download of Crispy Heretic 5.7.2 when 5.8.0 is the latest version (and not to mention it added a lot of much needed features for Crispy Heretic)?

Ah, one of my infamous I have-seen-it-but-it-did-not-register kind of things. :/

I thought it added something additional, but it seems it did not. Ill put that one up, thanks for noticing :)

7 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Also you might want to look at the "Russian Doom/Heretic/Hexen" ports. I think they are also demo compatible ports (not sure tho).

Thanks for mentioning :) But are these ones actively used in speedruns? I know Crispy Heretic was, so i added that in as a late addition.

Will fix the Crispy one, yikes!

Just now, Redneckerz said:

But are these ones actively used in speedruns? I know Crispy Heretic was, so i added that in as a late addition.

I... I honestly don't know. I haven't heard of these ports being used for speedruns.

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I... I honestly don't know. I haven't heard of these ports being used for speedruns.

I can't say for Crispy Heretic 5.8.0 either. All i know is that 5.7.2 has a + notion in its filename, which i suppose was about the Plus features but is, now that i think about it likely just a git thing.

I believe PVS did use Crispy Heretic for speedruns, hence the inclusion.

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

now that i think about it likely just a git thing.

That "plus" is just a git thing.

Just now, ReaperAA said:

That "plus" is just a git thing.

Thanks.

Fixed the error, now has 5.8.0 as a mirror :)

In my opinion, need to add to this list Heretic/Hexen Plus by Andrey Budko, which are often needed for newer pwad's, especially Hexen Plus, because there all in one - extended limits and normal demo playback/recording state.

Heretic 1.3a/Hexen 1.1a - not for demo recording, as long as I remember, this project has a different goal - an expanded network game modes vs vanilla. I need to test it again, but I’m sure, that I would remember if these versions changed the vanilla demo recording state to the better.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:30 AM, El juancho said:

Thank you for this, i literally could not find ANYTHING on the internet about this tool, now i can speedrun heretic on dosbox :D

I should be getting them written up someday, but atleast they are helpful for you :) I just try to preserve these.

@PVSHowdy there! I did some more digging into your speedrunning endeavors and your ports and i came across a few things that like your previous workings interest me :)

Note: This is a parallel post to this one about Heretic-N, and its also partially why i am asking the following things. In essence i want your works to be more centralized when it comes to Heretic/Hexen. (So when i refer to the availablity of a modified build, its with the intention to get these hosted more centralized).

JHeretic/JHexen:

• I noticed on DSDA that like your JHeretic 0.93 (se4), you also use a modified JHexen, 0.99.6 (se2) or (se3) for the Hexen runs. What are their modifications, and are these available for download?
    • In addition, many of your demo's use JHeretic 0.93 (se4), your more recent demos now use (se5). What are the changes?
    • In general; Are your custom builds hosted somewhere?

Doomsday:

I came across this picture showing your amazing Doomsday Kickstart:

5RFKlu4.jpg

• It mentions a DoomsDay v1.7.15se from 2013. This seems to be a custom build from your hand.
    • What was the purpose of this build?
    • Is this available?
  • Is there also a JDoom se build?

Other JHeretic:

• Based on the JHeretic Kickstart picture, i see a JHeretic Infine, 1.0. Through dengine i found out that it is a script to watch JHeretic demos with. For which version of JHeretic/Doomsday was this written?
  • I also found on Deengine that you were working on getting the rarely used Bias Lighting working for JHeretic, and you released the .ded files for it for E1M1-E1M5. You mentioned that the Bias Light Editor runs from DoomsDay 1.90 Beta 1, but not on DoomsDay 1.10 where it was disabled. For which JHeretic/Doomsday version are these made?
  • The below shot shows JHeretic E1M1 with Bias lighting but also models. Your Kickstart list show a huge number of files. What exactly is needed to replicate this?

inhBp7r.jpg

Other JDoom:

There is also a KickStart list of JDoom:

W7na7eg.jpg

• I see a lot of resource packs bearing the name PVS Edition. What does this mean?

You're an archaeologist, how did you manage to find this?! heh. Answer your main question: this was my hobby modding for Doomsday, which I did just for myself for many years, and simply because it was interesting. I never planned it as a project that someone needs and is interested in, I never completed it, even to the stage that I planned. I haven't seen these screenshots for many years, and I'm not sure if I still have the folder with this hobby. I didn’t upload this anywhere, it’s just not necessary, you look at least by the numbers - screenshots from 2013 with 2003 engines versions! heh

What it was: I called it "Doomsday time machine", it was a collection of all versions of the engine (really, lots of), from ~2002 to 2013, that worked together with the same addons packs. There were also many addons, old and new, that I collected. Everything was controlled by this launcher, where you select the engine to start and possible options for this engine, everything was automatic. A lot of addons had to be reworked, mostly scripts, to isolate conflicts between new addons and old engines, and even vice versa - old addons with new engines, for this reason there are a lot of these labels - edition, PVS, etc. I rebuilt some old engine versions for myself, yes, in order to fix some errors there that have tormented me for many years, but it really was a couple of small fixes, I don’t even remember which ones.

JHeretic Infine, 1.0: it was internal engine base (used Doomsday Infine script feature) for my demos in Doomsday format, where was some primitive menu, sections, pages with categories, info, etc. You pressed the navigation buttons, chose the desired demo and push "play", all demo dependencies (pwads, modes) were written in the script, nothing need to be remembered how to play this demo, everything was automatic. If you search on youtube by JHeretic Infine - you can find my video, how it worked, half a year ago - video was still available.

Bias Lighting: a very interesting thing that I found in the engine by accident, sorting through the console commands, although this feature has been in the engine for a long time. After start Doomsday, you can go to the internal light editor, turn off all map sectors lighting and in realtime in game - make your own, new and colored lights, save this mini-mod in ded-file and then use it as an external addon. In fact, such lighting turned out to be very dependent from engine version, engine settings and addons, all this is arranged differently for each user. When I saw what guys have with my Bias Lighting examples, I realized that it was bad, not nice, but it remains possible to make such map lights for yourself individually, which I showed in those old screenshots. Bias Lighting appeared in DoomsDay 1.9 Beta 1, remained working in 1.10.4 (2013), what is the situation with this functionality in newer versions and in the modern Doomsday 2 engine - I don't know at all.

Vanilla compatible Doomsday 0.99(se) - remains my main hobby so far, but I don't working with it regularly, quite rarely. jHeretic 0.93(se5) - I just up version, after I gave you se4, so that they differ, there are not many changes and I don’t remember it, to be honest. jHexen(se) - still not ready to show even for you, if we are all, will still be here - you will be the first to know about my super version for Win95-XP.

I hope, I have answered all your questions. But in any case, thanks for these screenshots, for me they have not been available for a long time and even cause nostalgia, heh

Magnificent response PVS:

On 1/28/2022 at 1:23 AM, PVS said:

You're an archaeologist, how did you manage to find this?! heh.

Ill unearth what deserves to be unearthed :P

I am kinda surprised that you haven't seen that folder for years - I thought you kept it up and running and had some kind of repository for this stuff!

What it was: I called it "Doomsday time machine", it was a collection of all versions of the engine (really, lots of), from ~2002 to 2013, that worked together with the same addons packs. There were also many addons, old and new, that I collected. Everything was controlled by this launcher, where you select the engine to start and possible options for this engine, everything was automatic. A lot of addons had to be reworked, mostly scripts, to isolate conflicts between new addons and old engines, and even vice versa - old addons with new engines, for this reason there are a lot of these labels - edition, PVS, etc. I rebuilt some old engine versions for myself, yes, in order to fix some errors there that have tormented me for many years, but it really was a couple of small fixes, I don’t even remember which ones.

That sounds like a huge undertaking for your own personal needs. Frankly, i'd love to play with this, did you keep a record of your time machine somewhere??

I can imagine a few possible uses outside of playing along - Your Doomsday engines could be hosted on DSDA.

JHeretic Infine, 1.0: it was internal engine base (used Doomsday Infine script feature) for my demos in Doomsday format, where was some primitive menu, sections, pages with categories, info, etc. You pressed the navigation buttons, chose the desired demo and push "play", all demo dependencies (pwads, modes) were written in the script, nothing need to be remembered how to play this demo, everything was automatic. If you search on youtube by JHeretic Infine - you can find my video, how it worked, half a year ago - video was still available.

That would be this one:

So, if i read you correctly, you compiled your own engine build alongside this InFine script for your demo's? How would they be played back? Which build would be used?

Bias Lighting: a very interesting thing that I found in the engine by accident, sorting through the console commands, although this feature has been in the engine for a long time. After start Doomsday, you can go to the internal light editor, turn off all map sectors lighting and in realtime in game - make your own, new and colored lights, save this mini-mod in ded-file and then use it as an external addon. In fact, such lighting turned out to be very dependent from engine version, engine settings and addons, all this is arranged differently for each user. When I saw what guys have with my Bias Lighting examples, I realized that it was bad, not nice, but it remains possible to make such map lights for yourself individually, which I showed in those old screenshots. Bias Lighting appeared in DoomsDay 1.9 Beta 1, remained working in 1.10.4 (2013), what is the situation with this functionality in newer versions and in the modern Doomsday 2 engine - I don't know at all.

It still seems current, but 1.12 was the last mention of it on the dengine page, and your video shows it still working on 1.9.7. Here is the definition page.

For what it is worth, your Yandex link for the DED files still works - Here. Which version of Doomsday are they build for? 1.10.4 or the 0.90 beta?

For everyone else, PVS experimented with the bias lighting feature present in earlier(?) Doomsday builds. It implements a per-vertex lighting model and the ability through a specialized editor called the Bias Editor to place manual lights. PVS made some videos about that:

Vanilla compatible Doomsday 0.99(se) - remains my main hobby so far, but I don't working with it regularly, quite rarely.

I love to hear more about this verison (This is JDoom, right?) What are your changes? Is this mean't for demo recording? If anything, this part got me curious the most of all, because old JDoom (Before it got merged into Doomsday as a dll - As a plugin it could still be a separate entity)

jHeretic 0.93(se5) - I just up version, after I gave you se4, so that they differ, there are not many changes and I don’t remember it, to be honest.

For the thread (and for SRCD-Doom/Heretic-N!), i'd love to see it :)

jHexen(se) - still not ready to show even for you, if we are all, will still be here - you will be the first to know about my super version for Win95-XP.

Haha, great. Its just that i noticed demos being played around with that port, so color me interested and i am looking forward to your response to this!

Edited by Redneckerz

Thanks to Yandex, that still keeps my files and screenshots, although they are not available to me with my old PC, they remain available to people, heh

My jHeretic Infine and Bias Lighting examples do not required special engine builds, they are for original Doomsday. Infine demo-base script worked since version 1.7.11 (2003) (if I remember correctly) up to 1.10.4 (2013), but after 1.8.6 - demo recording/playback in Doomsday was broken, in later versions - blocked for this reason, and use this demo base script example in newer versions - does not make sense. If Bias Lighting is dropped in 1.12.x means, that this my definitions may work from 1.9.0 Beta1 (2005) to 1.12.x (201?).

Why did these 2 little addons catch your attention? Much more serious mods/addons has been done for Doomsday 1 than these, heh. As I said above - "Doomsday time machine" not available even for me, these couple of screenshots with her launcher - that's all that's left, but you already found this yourself. I did not erase it of course, a lot of my time was invested there, I hope that folder with this "Doomsday time machine" is alive on one of my archive disk, but I have not been interested in that for a long time.

jHeretic 0.93(se5) I have nothing to show there yet and don’t even have a CHANGE LOG, what are you asking about. There only "programmer side changes", I don't remember what is there "user side changes" at all, last year I worked only with Hexen. When I make new "user side changes" in Heretic, I will show this version, for your collection.

I didn’t say anything about old jDoom, I meant this old Doomsday 0.99.6 project in general, it includes main engine (Doomsday.exe) and all child modules, including game dll's: jHeretic 0.93/jHexen 0.99.6/jDoom 0.82, this was the structure of this old project. jDoom 0.82 could be of interest to me if it was compatible with original Doom, but in fact it is not, a lot of desync's when playback demos. I spent a lot of time trying to find incompatibilities for this old jHeretic/jHexen, but for jDoom this is not necessary for me. I compile jDoom 0.82 sometimes, just to make sure I don't lost forever this child dll, to keep it compatible with the updated main engine, for which small changes are required in jDoom part, but this is again - only "programmer side changes", not "user side".

On 2/3/2022 at 12:08 AM, PVS said:

Thanks to Yandex, that still keeps my files and screenshots, although they are not available to me with my old PC, they remain available to people, heh

My jHeretic Infine and Bias Lighting examples do not required special engine builds, they are for original Doomsday. Infine demo-base script worked since version 1.7.11 (2003) (if I remember correctly) up to 1.10.4 (2013), but after 1.8.6 - demo recording/playback in Doomsday was broken, in later versions - blocked for this reason, and use this demo base script example in newer versions - does not make sense. If Bias Lighting is dropped in 1.12.x means, that this my definitions may work from 1.9.0 Beta1 (2005) to 1.12.x (201?).

Do you want this to be tested by any means? I believe the Yandex link has the Infine DED files, so it should be easy to compare.

Why did these 2 little addons catch your attention? Much more serious mods/addons has been done for Doomsday 1 than these, heh. As I said above - "Doomsday time machine" not available even for me, these couple of screenshots with her launcher - that's all that's left, but you already found this yourself. I did not erase it of course, a lot of my time was invested there, I hope that folder with this "Doomsday time machine" is alive on one of my archive disk, but I have not been interested in that for a long time.

There aren't that many authors doing active things with Doomsday whatsoever - The most prominent one is Zoow: Alien Dimension, which is a completely forgotten TC for Doomsday that somehow is archived.. I tried installing it with the exact Doomsday build but it just throws up a bunch of errors, which is likely due to me running on Windows 10.

The bad part is that Doomsday as-is still has some great visuals, but the launcher, as fancy as it is, makes or breaks compatibility. The various versions also underwent significant change, but not in terms of features. JDoom/JHeretic/JHexen went from a separate binary, to a wrapper (a dll that still could run semi-standalone) to a plugin native to the Doomsday.exe binary.

Bias lighting is a great feature of Doomsday, but completely underutilized. So you doing what you do there, catches my attention..

jHeretic 0.93(se5) I have nothing to show there yet and don’t even have a CHANGE LOG, what are you asking about. There only "programmer side changes", I don't remember what is there "user side changes" at all, last year I worked only with Hexen. When I make new "user side changes" in Heretic, I will show this version, for your collection.

Would love to see it then, when it's done :)

I didn’t say anything about old jDoom, I meant this old Doomsday 0.99.6 project in general, it includes main engine (Doomsday.exe) and all child modules, including game dll's: jHeretic 0.93/jHexen 0.99.6/jDoom 0.82, this was the structure of this old project. jDoom 0.82 could be of interest to me if it was compatible with original Doom, but in fact it is not, a lot of desync's when playback demos.

Weren't those versions separate binaries and didn't they turn into dll's later on?

EDIT: Hmm. JDoom 0.82 is already a .dll. For the record, ill spoiler my research here:

Spoiler
  • - JDoom (Pre-Doomsday, look for older sources and most recent JDoom build. Only supports limit-removing wads/Dehacked, not Boom compatible) Another Glide port is JDoom/JHexen/JHeretic (before it was Doomsday) - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/49914-first-release-dates-of-historical-ports/?do=findComment&comment=854336 and releases are here: https://www.doomworld.com/3ddownloads/ports/ - http://www.jbserver.com/downloads/jdoom/jdoom/ (Has JHexen/JHeretic)
  • - Doomsday 0.99.6/JDoom 0.82 (D3D/OpenGL/3DFX), June 17, 2000 - Older JDOOM (version 0.82, compatible with Doomsday 0.99.6, last standalone version with full Doom compatibility, and no MD2 support. Already has a JDoom.dll aswell) - https://web.archive.org/web/20030212144000/http://www.doomsdayhq.com/files.php
  • -- However, JDoom110.zip (JDoom 1.1, also a DLL, plugin, September 10, 2001, so last version where seperate JDoom history was maintained?) and JDoom111.zip exist, implying that standalone versions existed till Doomsday 1.10/1.11 - https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=676776#p676776
  • -- However, jDoom111.exe, jdoom1123.exe, jdoom1131.exe, jdoom1141.exe, jdoom1144.exe and jdoom1145.exe, exist, implying standalone versions existed till Doomsday 1.14.5.
  • --- jDoom111.exe does not included a wrapper executable for JDoom, but just regular Doomsday.exe.
  • --- jdoom1145.exe includes a Doomsday 1.7 installer, but produces a blank JDoom.exe, version 1.14.5, based off Doomsday 1.7.6, February 19, 2002. This is just a wrapper for Doomsday.exe to highlight the specific JDoom version. History file dictates this version is from December 11, 2002.
  • - Doomsday 1.8.6/JDoom 1.8.6 (D3D8/OpenGL) (Last stable JDoom version before the great Doomsday 2.0/Doomsday 2 rewrite. JDoom 1.8.6 is used in the demorecording community, January 8, 2005)
  • -- deng-inst-1.8.6.exe from January 8, 2005 produces a blank JDoom.exe version 1.15.6, February 19, 2002. This is just a wrapper for Doomsday.exe to highlight the specific JDoom version. This version also has ''blank'' JHeretic and JHexen executables. History file says its from February 26, 2003, but there is no seperate ''JDoom version history'' anymore. JDoom.wad is from May 28, 2004.
  • -- deng-inst-1.9.0-beta1-setup.exe from July 1, 2005 produces a blank JDoom.exe version 1.15.0-beta-1, February 19, 2002. This is just a wrapper for Doomsday.exe to highlight the specific JDoom version. This version also has ''blank'' JHeretic and JHexen executables. History file says its from February 26, 2003, but there is no seperate ''JDoom version history'' anymore. JDoom.wad is from May 28, 2004.
  • -- deng-inst-1.9.0-beta2-setup.exe from July 18, 2005 produces a blank JDoom.exe version 1.15.0-beta-2, February 19, 2002. This is just a wrapper for Doomsday.exe to highlight the specific JDoom version. This version also has ''blank'' JHeretic and JHexen executables. History file says its from February 26, 2003, but there is no seperate ''JDoom version history'' anymore. JDoom.wad is from May 28, 2004.
  • -- deng-inst-1.9.0-beta3-setup.exe from October 16, 2005 produces a blank JDoom.exe version 1.15.0-beta-3, February 19, 2002. This is just a wrapper for Doomsday.exe to highlight the specific JDoom version. This version also has ''blank'' JHeretic and JHexen executables. History file says its from February 26, 2003, but there is no seperate ''JDoom version history'' anymore. JDoom.wad is from May 28, 2004.
  • -- deng-inst-1.9.0-beta4-setup.exe from May 28, 2006 produces a blank JDoom.exe version 1.15.0-beta-4, February 19, 2002. This is just a wrapper for Doomsday.exe to highlight the specific JDoom version. This version also has ''blank'' JHeretic and JHexen executables. History file says its from February 26, 2003, but there is no seperate ''JDoom version history'' anymore. JDoom.wad is from May 14, 2006 and is the last version with these wrappers.
  • -- deng-inst-1.9.0-beta5-setup.exe removes the wrappers and it also has a different icon from beta4.
  • - Doomsday 1.9.9: Last version with JDoom/JHexen/JHeretic.exe wrappers, September 30, 2012. ''We've made a fundamental change regarding game plugins. We are now using the main Doomsday version number (1.9.10) for all of the “official” game plugins (libdoom, libheretic, libhexen). This effectively marks the end of jDoom and the other j-ports — they have been finally fully demoted from individual ports to mere plugins for Doomsday. However, we will continue supporting the j-prefixed names inside resource packages for backwards compatibility.'' Doomsday 1.9.10 made them into libraries, as LibDoom, LibHexen and LibHeretic, respectively, although 1.9.9 already has them as libraries too (JDoom.dll). Perhaps 1.98 was the last with wrappers?
  • --DTest2: DT2dec29.zip is DTest2. Doomsday 1.0 pre. This was a build of JDoom with client/server (So CSJDoom). This is interesting because DTest2 seems to the only standalone C/S build of JDoom/JHeretic before it became a plugin, and it uses a more recent JDoom aswell for it. So DTest2 is pretty significant. These would only work with the provided JDoom and JHeretic versions and includes JDoom 0.83, from Doomsday, 29-12-2000. - https://www.doomworld.com/3ddownloads/ports/dt2dec29.zip + source: https://www.doomworld.com/3ddownloads/ports/dt2src_dec29.zip
  • -- Last standalone JDoom: 0.82 (From Doomsday 0.99.6) Last stable JDoom (As in ''fixed features''): 1.8.6, Last JDoom version with a wrapper JDoom.exe (Just a shortcut to Doomsday.exe): 1.9.0-beta4.
  • - ddsnapshot.rar (Doomsday Snapshot) Oct 12, 2003 - http://www.jbserver.com/downloads/jdoom/jdoom/unsupported/
  • - R3DEdit - Level editor with Risen3D code, similar to how Visplane Explorer works, which is based on modified and stripped down Chocolate Doom code with raised limits.

It should thus be noted that DTest2 had a more recent JDoom build, so you may want to check that out too. Perhaps the above is interesting for someone aswell.

I spent a lot of time trying to find incompatibilities for this old jHeretic/jHexen, but for jDoom this is not necessary for me. I compile jDoom 0.82 sometimes, just to make sure I don't lost forever this child dll, to keep it compatible with the updated main engine, for which small changes are required in jDoom part, but this is again - only "programmer side changes", not "user side".

Highlighting the bolded: An updated JDoom 0.82, even when its just compatibility changes, is interested for outsiders! You have to remember, JDoom (Albeit in its standalone binary form) was the source port for Dooming up to 2003-2004. There are many threads on DW that highlight JDoom as the port if you wanted to play Doom with maximum visuals.

From what i researched, 0.82 is also the last standalone binary version of JDoom. The last stable JDoom (As in fixed feature) was 1.8.6 and the last one with a wrapper JDoom.exe (Just a shortcut to Doomsday.exe) was 1.9.0-beta4.

EDIT: It is a standalone version alright, but it is Doomsday.exe with a .dll already.

It is superseded obviously nowadays, but JDoom's look is still very pleasant to look at. If you have an updated standalone version of JDoom 0.82 (Or well: Doomsday 0.99.6 with the JDoom 0.82 dll!) that plays nice on modern systems, it might be viable. Yes, it does not have Boom support, but it has (basic?) DeHacked support and could thus be a good OpenGL alternative to Chocolate Doom; Pure Vanilla, but with eyecandy. There isn't any port that has that, as they all expand to include more standards.

Hey, I don't do anything for support newer Windows, you are mistaken, if you think, that my versions will work better on modern systems, I'm work on old PC - for old PC, only.

jDoom 0.82: not have DeHacked, this parser was developed later, you can orientated on dpDehRead.dll in Doomsday packages. Publish a copy of the 22 year old original project, just because I rebuilt it - it's not right, I won't do it. If I make any my own changes, new functional vs original, not just changed 2 lines of code, then, I can show it, even if it still remains - an old program for old PCs. I hope you understand me correctly.

I did not quite understand your attention to this: "separate binaries" or "turn into dll's". From the beginning, Doomsday project had the same structure: the main engine Doomsday.exe (which provides interaction with OS) and auxiliary modules, including the games themselves. SkyJake started with Hexen, maybe the very first jHexen versions, from 1999, was a separate exe, not sure, but by then he added Heretic and the last one Doom, it was this project structure - the main engine and dll's.

For several years he published games separately jDoom/jHeretic/jHexen, but in fact, these releases differed only in game dll inside, everything else was the same. These releases were labeled by game dll version, not the main engine version, for example: jHeretic 0.93 release had 0.93 jHeretic.dll version, but main engine was 0.99.6. After was developed a new launcher, that could launch all three games by choice - releases included 3 games inside, and they were marked according to the Doomsday.exe version, not game dlls inside. This has always confused people, I know, heh. 

In any case, you gave an interesting excavation of Doomsday project history, very specific. If in your searches you will find old project sources, starting from version 1.0 (2001) to 1.7 (2002) - I would be grateful, I did not find it myself, Internet did not save them, heh

On 2/9/2022 at 1:14 AM, PVS said:

Hey, I don't do anything for support newer Windows, you are mistaken, if you think, that my versions will work better on modern systems, I'm work on old PC - for old PC, only.

I understand, its just more that your improvements - any improvements, really - are worth looking into. Even when its mostly a programmers optimization :)

jDoom 0.82: not have DeHacked, this parser was developed later, you can orientated on dpDehRead.dll in Doomsday packages. Publish a copy of the 22 year old original project, just because I rebuilt it - it's not right, I won't do it. If I make any my own changes, new functional vs original, not just changed 2 lines of code, then, I can show it, even if it still remains - an old program for old PCs. I hope you understand me correctly.

Yes, i do understand - But predictably, disappointed :) I love updated versions of these older engines because they would fly on any recent machine.

I did not quite understand your attention to this: "separate binaries" or "turn into dll's". From the beginning, Doomsday project had the same structure: the main engine Doomsday.exe (which provides interaction with OS) and auxiliary modules, including the games themselves. SkyJake started with Hexen, maybe the very first jHexen versions, from 1999, was a separate exe, not sure, but by then he added Heretic and the last one Doom, it was this project structure - the main engine and dll's.

For several years he published games separately jDoom/jHeretic/jHexen, but in fact, these releases differed only in game dll inside, everything else was the same. These releases were labeled by game dll version, not the main engine version, for example: jHeretic 0.93 release had 0.93 jHeretic.dll version, but main engine was 0.99.6. After was developed a new launcher, that could launch all three games by choice - releases included 3 games inside, and they were marked according to the Doomsday.exe version, not game dlls inside. This has always confused people, I know, heh. 

I made a post regarding this separation found below:

Far as i understand, there are 4 versions of J-Ports:

• Standalone (These cover from 1999 to around 2002 or so)
  • Intermediate Wrapper (2003-2004, carrying intermediate version numbers independent of the mainline Doomsday port)
  • Full plug-in (2004/2005)
  • Module (Part of Doomsday 2)

In any case, you gave an interesting excavation of Doomsday project history, very specific. If in your searches you will find old project sources, starting from version 1.0 (2001) to 1.7 (2002) - I would be grateful, I did not find it myself, Internet did not save them, heh

I have various old sources, include DTest2. Perhaps this is more for the PM?

PS: @Gibbon has been working on something for Hexen/Heretic DOS: Massive expanded limits. I figure you may like it. :)

If anything requires PM - of course, you are welcome!

After Doomsday 0.99.6: there were about 3 test versions marked as '1.0 pre, DTest2', the last one was from December 29, 2000 - I have this sources (and you already gave links to them, above). Doomsday 1.7.6 and above - I found, these are not needed. But for release Doomsday 1.0 (2001) - up to version 1.7.5 (2002) - I could not find any sources. In any case, if you found something old and rare for this project (sources/releases), so that you do not waste your time - you can just send it to me, I'll take a look myself and figure out if there is something interesting.

Heretic128/Hexen128 - interesting marking, why 128? heh. I looked, by readme - it was compiled with increased main constants only.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:32 AM, PVS said:

If anything requires PM - of course, you are welcome!

After Doomsday 0.99.6: there were about 3 test versions marked as '1.0 pre, DTest2', the last one was from December 29, 2000 - I have this sources (and you already gave links to them, above). Doomsday 1.7.6 and above - I found, these are not needed. But for release Doomsday 1.0 (2001) - up to version 1.7.5 (2002) - I could not find any sources. In any case, if you found something old and rare for this project (sources/releases), so that you do not waste your time - you can just send it to me, I'll take a look myself and figure out if there is something interesting.

Then i think this (which covers sources from 1.7.9 to 1.7.13) is not useful, but i am linking the site anyway. And here is the JDoom directory. And here are some other older sources.

I am also linking ddsnapshot, a Doomsday snapshot from 2003.

I also have a working Boomsday build (Before it became Risen3D), but i figure that's outside your scope.

What i found is that really old sources were hosted on a ftp site, solarwinds.net, which means (unfortunately) that not even archive.org is ready to hoist them.

I could tag Danij, but his last activity is from 2016. So the only real option is to message him directly.

Heretic128/Hexen128 - interesting marking, why 128? heh. I looked, by readme - it was compiled with increased main constants only.

More is coming. Limits are expanded as Doom-plus x16, so huge assets can be played in DOS. Sadly there isn't that much material though... but try it out!

Edited by Redneckerz

I have all files that you indicated, but thanks for your attention anyway. No need to bother Danij, I doubt he can have the old sources that I'm interested in, he joined in project later.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:05 PM, PVS said:

I have all files that you indicated, but thanks for your attention anyway. No need to bother Danij, I doubt he can have the old sources that I'm interested in, he joined in project later.

Then it should be Skyjake then. Either way, if you have anything new to share around your SE-series of modifications, please do show and tell! Love to see this :)