Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

The New Plague

S.A.R.S.

Toronto is the city with the highest number of cases and deaths in my country. What do you guys think? Is is just a little disease that we'll probably find a cure to in the most likely place...or a wrath of plague from hell the Orient?

Ideas and debate are always welcome.

Heard about it on Channel 1 today. (you know, the news show they play during school) They just added it to the list of quarantine diseases. It ranks up there with smallpox and plague, it's gotta be bad.

Hahahhahahaha, plague. While ~100 deaths is significant, I wouldn't call it a plague.

EDIT: Plus, it isn't always fatal. I think all the people over here who've caught it have survived.

Iraqi Death Plague is comming to a city near you!

Book your plot in advance, demand is sure to be high!

(PS: 1200 cases of SARS in far east and counting. Let's hope it sticks to killing those chinks and doesn't pull the same shit AIDS did. Man, the happy fun that everyone is having now God's anti-fag missile friendly fired).

My father had to put off a trip to Vietnam because of this. But I wouldn't call it a plague just yet. I mean more people are dying of the current strain of the flu then S.A.R.S.

And we will all watch in amazement, as the media tries to horrify us, building up un-needed coverage for such a thing as S.A.R.S.

Then, we get all those crazy people who begin to go into a, "Panick", and begin frantically searching for a cure ahead of time.

S.A.R.S. - almost sounds like something that came out of Resident Evil...

darknation said:

...Let's hope it sticks to killing those chinks and doesn't pull the same shit AIDS did. Man, the happy fun that everyone is having now God's anti-fag missile friendly fired).

DN is the Pink Ranger.

darknation said:

(PS: 1200 cases of SARS in far east and counting. Let's hope it sticks to killing those chinks and doesn't pull the same shit AIDS did. Man, the happy fun that everyone is having now God's anti-fag missile friendly fired).

Care to clarify that?

Arioch said:

Care to clarify that?

Certainly.

Iraqi death plague being a reference that ties the current strains of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome to the Weapons of Mass Destruction that the Americans' have used as a crowbar into war with the state of Iraq. Such weapons have failed to manifest themselves, but the insinuation that S.A.R.S could be a biological weapon plays upon the current mass hysteria rampant in certain American mindsets and popular culture. This suggestion is, of course, utterly retarded and hence the humour in this line.

Booking your plot in advance is a pun or play on words, suggesting that you would like to invent your own theories and invent your own fictional stories regarding the advent of this 'plague', or a reference to the sensationalist news articles that are circulating in the absence of anything big and flashy blowing up in Iraq. Also, 'plot' could be a reference to a plot of land booked in a cemetery in preparation for your dead body, again a reference to the S.A.R.S virus and how it will kill every man woman and child. Also, 'plot' could reference an Al Quedia 'plot' or 'cunning plan' to unleash the horrors of biological warfare on the constantly besieged American population.

1200 cases of S.A.R.S in the Far East is a statistic gleaned from the 17th April Edition of Private Eye.

Chinks being a degrading term from 'Chinese' or anyone from eastern descent, used here as a link to the term 'fag' insinuating that the same people who find conspiracy in the S.A.R.S outbreak are the same people of limited mental capability that still believe A.I.D.S is God's punishment for the crime of homosexuality. Also linking to the above conspiracy motif and the urban legend that the C.I.A unleashed A.I.D.S on the homosexual population some time in the cold war, thus providing common ground between the bullshit of the past and the bullshit of the present.

Friendly fire should be a self explanatory piece of Current Comedy, suggesting that God is an American and that he Hates homosexuals, but he accidentally killed a bunch of heterosexuals with his ill-guided weapons of mass destruction, again linking to Biological Warfare and S.A.R.S

Any questions?

Ct_red_pants said:

just out of interest,
Has anyone seriously linked S.A.R.S to Saddam?

Point proven, thank you ladies and gentlemen, goodnight.

darknation said:

Dude, someone here must really hate the Chinese... :/ :p.... I couldn't really give a shit about that though because I'm Japanese (although I hate being Asian in general, but that's for personal reasons...) I'm kinda hopin that the disease disapears eventually, like the Black Plague. ...Wait, did the Black Plague just disapear after a while?

If it ain't called Captain Tripps I'm not worried. The media love to make a spectacle out of crap like this, like the shark attacks a while back.

For people living in third-world or extremely crowded conditions, this could be a problem. But for people who have "breathing room" and access to good medical care, this won't come close to "plague" proportions.

Whatever happened to the West Nile virus, the last new plague? Where will SARS be when the next new plague comes along?

And the concept of SARS as a bioweapon is just silly.

Famine, War, Pestilence...

...and Death comes trailing close behind to reap your feeble souls, puny mortals.

Lizardcommando said:

I'm kinda hopin that the disease disapears eventually, like the Black Plague. ...Wait, did the Black Plague just disapear after a while?

Dan's Half-Assed History of the Black Plague:

Little known to Western cultures, the bubonic plague actualy ravaged Asia before making the trek to Europe. It first came into contact with Europeans during a battle between Italians and Mongols (I think) somewhere in the vicinity of Asia Minor. A Mongol fortress was being besieged by the Italians from without and being killed by the plague from within. As the Asian forces were running out of both soldiers and ammunition, someone came up with a brilliant idea: to lob their plague-infested fallen comrades at the enemy. I'm not sure the outcome, but a sizeable amount of the Italiens came home, their ships stopping in various ports in Italy. And from these ports, the plague began to spread. The year was 13xx and by the end of the year, it had ravaged much of Italy, and southern Spain and France (though I don't know if thats what those countries were called back then). I think it lasted something like a decade or so before subsiding, but the end result was about 7-13 million dead (1/3rd of Europe's population). It had killed off both peasants and nobility, horribly maiming both the political and economical policies of Europe. Outbreaks happened up at least to the time of Shakespere (that was like what...late 1500s, early 1600s) and perhaps happening as late as the 1700s. Nowadays, there are probably like 3 deaths worldwide of the bubonic (and pneumonic) plague, mostly because of genetic immunity (most of our ancestors were in contact with it).

So yeah...it killed about 1/3 of Europe, probably an equatable amount of Asia, and I guess got into Africa a little as well. Though it never really left, its no longer a threat. Thats how biology works.

As for SARS being the next plague, we could only be so lucky. Lets see...in Canada, there have been 188 cases and 10 or 11 deaths. Thats what...6% or so...much less than what the Black Plague did (33%, though I have no idea how many survivors actualy came in contact with it), and vastly less cases-to-deaths than HIV/AIDS (100%) which has been with us for about 30 years now. So there you go...its not even comparable to the Bubonic plague, AIDS or Smallpox (killed ~95-99% of the Native American population). More people probably die of the flu every year.

myk said:

Famine, War, Pestilence...

...and Death comes trailing close behind to reap your feeble souls, puny mortals.

I'm taking you down with me.

ravage said:

I'm taking you down with me.

Son,you should know that waht you said isnt nice.

I seems like there finding a cure realy fast.I'm not that worred.If poeple start dieing becouse of it in C.O. then maby Ill start worrying.

God damn serious ass ramming syndrome, if any of those fuckers come near me with it im gunna beat there head in with a pipe wrench.

In South China you have a two thirds chance of dying from this, in Hong Kong that drops considerably and in Britain it's just ~1 in 5.

This is no plague, just a hardcore infection.

Tyockell said:

God damn serious ass ramming syndrome, if any of those fuckers come near me with it im gunna beat there head in with a pipe wrench.

And that's gonna stop you from catching it... how, genius?

Rotting Corpse said:

Son,you should know that waht you said isnt nice.

DN isn't nice, why don't you bother him. Besides, I only implored that I am mortal, and DN is no different. And if he wants to play rough and pull insults out his ass, then, well you know why I said that.

Actually I was just joking. I thought everyone knew the drill around here. Never take anything I say seriously. :P

...There is no son.

Whoops, I thought he said pitiful mortals. I really need to find my glasses. :P

pritch said:

And that's gonna stop you from catching it... how, genius?

dude its a joke

serious ass ramming syndrome......durrr

the_Danarchist said:
Lets see...in Canada, there have been 188 cases and 10 or 11 deaths. Thats what...6% or so...much less than what the Black Plague did (33%, though I have no idea how many survivors actualy came in contact with it), and vastly less cases-to-deaths than HIV/AIDS (100%) which has been with us for about 30 years now.

HIV does not have a 100% mortality rate.

Heh...I guess thats true. There are about 10 million other ways to die before it kills your immune system (which is actualy what kills you, etc etc).

My point is, there are no know cures, and no one ever recovers on their own. True, some people have survived in excess of 15 years without it turning into full-blown AIDS, but it will most likely get them in the end.

Yes, all this panic over SARS is ridiculous considering that the total number of people who have been infected with it so far is around the same number of people who die because of AIDS every day.

It's a semi-concern over in Australia. Most people infected with it seem to fend off the killer lurgy.

ATM the real concern around here is the new AFL footy season... feh, sports.

Mordeth said:

HIV does not have a 100% mortality rate.

Contrary to popular belief. NOBODY dies from AIDS. They die from other diseases WHILE they have AIDS, which has weakened the immune system.