Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rotting Corpse

Monsters dieing in lava and toxic waste.

I just thought of this last night.The doom and quake monsters dont die when they are in lava or toxic waste.I think it would be cool if they did in doom3.What do you all think.

l33t monsters from hell are EVIL (Mwuahahah!) so I think they can handle un pure subtances like lava and toxic shit, but water is to much for them!

Different types of monster should be affected by different types of liquid. For example, zombies would be burnt to cinders by lava, but Arch-Viles should be able to wade through it without being hurt.

NiGHTMARE said:

Different types of monster should be affected by different types of liquid. For example, zombies would be burnt to cinders by lava, but Arch-Viles should be able to wade through it without being hurt.

Damnit. You are making me impatient.

I think that the Arch-vile would have affected by lava.To me his attacks were more like spells.The fire dosnt come form him he just casts a spell.Every monster except the B.O.H and hell kinght would be hurt by toxic waste.

Yes, but if he can cast a spell to create fire, surely he can cast a spell to protect himself from it too.

True.I would love to see a zombies melt when try are in toxic waste.That would be cool.I all ways the toxic waste was carosive.That why it hurt you when you touch it.

What would be even cooler (but unlikely to be executed this time around) is if the toxic waste actually killed and then mutated the zombies, forcing you to fight them in a weirder and perhaps tougher form. None of the real demons would be affected by it, though, although lava should affect almost all of them (except perhaps the Arch-Vile, the cyber and the mastermind).

Heh wouldn't that be funny if they gave you the option to kick with your boot like in Duke Nukem. I'd just go around kicking them into lava and toxic waste pools :D

Cool, as long as you don't have the ability to kick with both feet at once... Or maybe then they'd finally code in the "fall on your ass" ability missing in so many first-person games.

Somewhat related: For the sake of realism, MBF had a "monsters avoid hazards" variable you could set in an OPTIONS lump...

Ultraviolet said:
Somewhat related: For the sake of realism, MBF had a "monsters avoid hazards" variable you could set in an OPTIONS lump...

Yes, but since hurting floors do not pose a threat to monsters they will have no reason to avoid it. They do avoid stuff like crushing ceilings.

Rotting Corpse said:

True, but if monsters in doom are so stuped that they cant open doors.There to stuped to avoid hazards.

Um, they can open doors.

Mordeth: Yeah, but I never used MBF :P Seems they could avoid those floors, though, for uh, realism...

Job: Uh... I missed the name change... who are you? Oh, checked profile... OMGWTF!!1 SPAMMARMIKE!

Yes they can open doors I'v had pinkeys open them on me all the time.
Now I think it would be cool if zombies and the like would turn to cindars if they were to go in lava. But some of the demons should not for example yes the arch-vile imo he should be resistant to flames. Im also hopeing that they integrate radioactive substances into doom 3 I think its neat when they have places like that, and you have to watch out for them. Maybe even have a metre for reading radiation levels.

Ultraviolet said:

Mordeth: Yeah, but I never used MBF :P Seems they could avoid those floors, though, for uh, realism...

Job: Uh... I missed the name change... who are you? Oh, checked profile... OMGWTF!!1 SPAMMARMIKE!

Heh, yeah, it's me again. Same tasty recipe minus the Spam. :P

Rotting Corpse said:

Realy??? I never had a monster open a door.

Weird, it happens to me all the time :)

Tyockell said:

Maybe even have a metre for reading radiation levels.

A Giger counter as a secondary item would be cool. Just think of the atmospheric possibilities: you're standing still, and suddenly you hear the staticky crackling from your counter... and two seconds later, a mutated marine busts through the wall :D

And yeah, I have monsters open doors on me all the time too.

At least toxic waste should have some effect on the demons, seeing as there's probably not a lot of it to be found in hell. Maybe it could cripple them, or something. Of course, it would all depend on the depth of the waste pools. What do you suppose the waste consists of? What do they do at the base that would result in a byproduct such as that?

Agnes said:

At least toxic waste should have some effect on the demons, seeing as there's probably not a lot of it to be found in hell. Maybe it could cripple them, or something. Of course, it would all depend on the depth of the waste pools. What do you suppose the waste consists of? What do they do at the base that would result in a byproduct such as that?

It would slow them down as they wade through the thick mess of waste.

Job said:

It would slow them down as they wade through the thick mess of waste.

Then you can line up a head shot a-la assault rifle :D

Agnes said:

I think that maby they use some sort of uraium ot give the place power.It makes sence. I think that they would use sone sort of nukeler power.
Also maby they are useing all sorts of stuff to conduct experments.
Also if a zombie taks a swim in toxic waste they should come out a mutated.Have theres skin and limbs melting.If they touth you it dose damnage. But they die after a while.

Rotting Corpse said:

I think that maby they use some sort of uraium ot give the place power.It makes sence. I think that they would use sone sort of nukeler power.
Also maby they are useing all sorts of stuff to conduct experments.
Also if a zombie taks a swim in toxic waste they should come out a mutated.Have theres skin and limbs melting.If they touth you it dose damnage. But they die after a while.

I would think that the toxic waste would consist of the radioactive isotope by-products of uranium fission, mixed in the water coolant run-off; toxic medical/chemical materials from UAC experiments; and perhaps just generic green evil hell sludge. ;) And I already mentioned the mutated zombie point, but I think they should be able to take on other forms from the waste.

The slow-down from wading through the waste is a really good idea too, except for the fact that lava is actually too dense to wade in (as liquid metal it has a specific density far higher than that of the materials that make up humans [mostly water], so it's impossible to "drown" in lava because you'd just be skittering around on top of it. My dad unfortunately saw somebody try to commit suicide this way at a steel mill and it turned out to be pretty gruesome).

Ubik said:

...toxic medical/chemical materials from UAC experiments;

Oh man, I hope Doom III doesn't end up to be one of those Resident Evil-esque things where it's the "big bad corporation" doing evil experiments with cross breeding chimps and bananas so they eat their own body or something. I'm tired of that stuff.

Job said:

Oh man, I hope Doom III doesn't end up to be one of those Resident Evil-esque things where it's the "big bad corporation" doing evil experiments with cross breeding chimps and bananas so they eat their own body or something. I'm tired of that stuff.

True. I'm just saying that I'm sure the UAC has their fingers in a lot of other pies, probably everything from generic chemical engineering to biological weaponry. Every industry has its toxic by-products, and I'm sure the UAC has stakes in a lot of different areas of production, ergo they produce a lot of waste that needs to be processed.