Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Bourne

Which of The Following Weapons do You Use The Least?

Which of The Following Weapons do You Use The Least?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What weapon do you use the least in doom and doom pwads?

• Shotgun
    • Super Shotgun
    • Chaingun
    • Rocket Launcher
    • Plasma Gun
    • BFG

Probably plasma gun, since I'm always either saving it for when I really need it, or saving the cells for the BFG. I find myself doing that out of habit even when pistol-starting a map with no BFG, or when I have full cell ammo and plenty of cell pickups around the map. I tend to use the plasma gun more in Ultimate Doom wads since there's no SSG.

Probably the BFG. In Doom 2 where the SSG is available I rarely use the shotgun, but I use it all the time in Doom 1 WADs. I really only bring out the BFG for bosses like Cyberdemons or Spider Masterminds, or groups of tough enemies like Archviles.

I think it'll be BFG. Uses way too much ammo to be used in anywhere else than special occasions with boss monsters or sometimes arch-viles, depending on how many there are and do I need to get rid of them quick or would SSG suffice.

On the topic of SSG, I do use the regular shotgun even in Doom 2, even when I have the SSG. Ol' trusty shottie is good for sniping situations or for conserving ammo when mowing down weaker enemies (individual imps or hitscan zombies, and lost souls).

Like I said in the thread before, definitely the plasma. Given a full kit, chaingun is the causer of pain frames the mower downer of hitscanners and the sniper, super shotgun is the workhorse weapon I'm probably gonna overuse cause I am stingy with better ammo, regular shotgun is if I am being super stingy but also to hit midrange enemies with burst damage, rocket launcher is the super special boy and fills out a lot of categories of use depending on the situation and the ammo given but if I am given ammo the thing is not gathering dust, the bfg is self explanatory, but the plasma?

It is a good weapon, but any time I use it when I have the bfg I feel like I'm wasting the cells even if I very much know this is not the case, and if there is no bfg I hoard cells entirely too much and end up underusing the hell out of it, even if I am not doing a blind playthrough it is tough to shake this habit. It's also just kinda an unpleasant weapon to use. Big projectile sprite, god awful just downright rancid sound, makes it hard to know what is going on. Tend to only use it when a fight has big blinking lights pointed to it saying "THIS FIGHT WAS DESIGNED FOR THE PLASMA, FUCKING USE IT" written on it. My underuse of it goes so far as to make it so I think I kinda suck at using the thing.

Hmm, I think I'm having a deja vu.

Anyways, BFG. Too many cells wasted for just one or two low-tier foes.

shotgun. Don't play Doom 1 wads, only Doom 2. And the pwads for doom 2 I play usually don't care about the shotgun

typically plasma is what i use the least. i just...don't like using it. it doesn't have that sorta kick to it that makes most other weapons feel satisfying to use; if i HAVE to use it then i will, but otherwise i'll use up cells with the bfg instead

i find myself using the normal shotgun fairly often actually, despite how many have voted for it. it's a great sniping weapon for enemies too tanky for the chaingun

Surprisingly it might be the BFG or plasma gun. Not because I don't like to use them, but because I like to reserve their ammo only for emergency situations because cell ammo is generally rare.

Not surprised that poor regular shotty got the most votes. Personally speaking, I still find the shotty rather useful even when I have the SSG. The weapon is good for sniping or kill single zombie tier enemy where the SSG would be overkill.

I like to BFG Arch-Viles, so i use it a lot! I don't know... i voted for the shotgun, but i'm not sure if i use it more or less than the BFG. Deppends on the wad and the available ammo for both weapons.

BFG for me. I don't really play crazy slaughter-type WADs that require a lot of BFG spamming, so most of the time it's reserved for dire circumstances.

Plasma. Don't like wasting precious cells when I can do more damage with the BFG9000.

I don't like using the plasma rifle because it's hard to precisely control how much ammo it chews and I want to keep multiples of 40 cells to use the BFG.

The best idea in Doom 3 was to give the plasma and the BFG their own distinct ammo pools. I'd use plasma a lot more in classic Doom if it didn't eat BFG ammo.

2 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Plasma Gun occupies number 6 slot and is actually weaker than RL (unless in tight area) is kinda ironic.

They are completely different tools.

Rocket launcher is for blowing up packs. Plasma gun is for sudden bouts of infighting, like monster closets and traps and tight areas

1 hour ago, Gez said:

The best idea in Doom 3 was to give the plasma and the BFG their own distinct ammo pools. I'd use plasma a lot more in classic Doom if it didn't eat BFG ammo.

They had this idea with the first Quake and the lightning gun having its own unique source of ammo, an idea they sadly backed down from going forward with Quake 2.

As such and on that note, I’m having a hard time choosing between the plasma gun and regular shotgun as my pick for this poll. A BFG and chainsaw won’t see as much action as the double barrel in a fully kitted out arsenal, but one shines when you have little to no ammo and the other when you’re dealing with way too many guys.

I’m leaning towards the plasma gun. The times where I’d prefer the regular shotgun over the chaingun are very rare but they exist: If I’m low on bullets, high on shells, and I can’t get close to justify using the super, I’ll whip out the shotgun. I’d have to be in a similar but more niche scenario to justify using the plasma gun over the rocket launcher.

Just now, BGrieber said:

They had this idea with the first Quake and the lightning gun having its own unique source of ammo, an idea they sadly backed down from going forward with Quake 2.

As such and on that note, I’m having a hard time choosing between the plasma gun and regular shotgun as my pick for this poll. A BFG and chainsaw won’t see as much action as the double barrel in a fully kitted out arsenal, but one shines when you have little to no ammo and the other when you’re dealing with way too many guys.

I’m leaning towards the plasma gun. The times where I’d prefer the regular shotgun over the chaingun are very rare but they exist: If I’m low on bullets, high on shells, and I can’t get close to justify using the super, I’ll whip out the shotgun. I’d have to be in a similar but more niche scenario to justify using the plasma gun over the rocket launcher.

I hear you guys but I don't think it's such a big deal - the mapmaker can just put in a ton more cells if they desire. At the end of the day it's kind of irrelevant that they share ammo. If you guys are picturing a scenario where you're free to fire the BFG alot more, than either the difficulty would have to be increased or BFG ammo would be more scarce

Personally as far as the chaingun is concerned, the only time I use it is for keeping a demon locked down in an awkward location or if I'm conserving ammo

I think the super-chaingun from uhh, Valiant? Wouldn't be that bad for balance if that was the chaingun. But in saying that, I haven't given it much thought.

The chaingun, mostly because I didn't know how yo use it properly. Still learning!

It’s how the cells are spent that’s a concern, and you get way more out of 40 cells through a BFG than a plasma gun. @Nine Inch Heels has a nice post about it that I found:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1758622

It just becomes hard to justify the use of the PG once you’ve picked up the BFG, you get much more bang for your 40 cells (literally!). Superweapons getting their own unique ammo gets rid of this awkward balancing kink, and in the newest Dooms its also fun in being one of the only longterm resources you need to track.

17 minutes ago, Kute said:

I think the super-chaingun from uhh, Valiant? Wouldn't be that bad for balance if that was the chaingun. But in saying that, I haven't given it much thought.

I’ll agree, and frankly I think it’s perfectly balanced with how it absolutely destroys its ammo pool.

52 minutes ago, Kute said:

They are completely different tools.

Rocket launcher is for blowing up packs. Plasma gun is for sudden bouts of infighting, like monster closets and traps and tight areas

Agreed. Unless I have reason to think it's "a BFG map," the Plasma is what I prefer to keep at the ready as a default. It's also great for running and gunning; it's far too easy to waste ammo with the BFG, or waste yourself with rockets, when you're going fast.

On topic I'm also in the camp who doesn't use the BFG too much even though I do play "slaughtery" maps, because I've still got the gamer instinct that precious resources should only be wasted when absolutely required (I'm guilty of carrying around 99+ ethers in Final Fantasy). Whenever I'm wrong about that and the map regards the BFG as its SSG, it usually doesn't take very long to realize.

Definitely Shotgun. I still have nightmares from shotgunning barons in Doom 1. I mostly use it for Imps, prefer chaingun for general sniping, and the rest gets plenty of use (I gravitate towards harder wads where BFG is common).

2 hours ago, BGrieber said:

Meh, there's like 3 lightning gun ammo in the entire game and it burns twenty thousand ammo per seconds to use it. I was always very underwhelmed by that weapon and wonder why they bothered to put it in the game at all given how little you can use it. It's not even like it's all that powerful; it's not that much more DPS than the SNG and you don't get the feeling that the designers are actively attempting to prevent you from using the SNG.

19 minutes ago, Gez said:

Meh, there's like 3 lightning gun ammo in the entire game and it burns twenty thousand ammo per seconds to use it. I was always very underwhelmed by that weapon and wonder why they bothered to put it in the game at all given how little you can use it. It's not even like it's all that powerful; it's not that much more DPS than the SNG and you don't get the feeling that the designers are actively attempting to prevent you from using the SNG.

That’s all the more reason I’m glad it’s not just another nailgun upgrade, resulting in two automatic weapons becoming useless over an episode! Having its own ammo pool is the only thing it has going for it.

Once I get the BFG, I try to use the Plasma Gun sparingly simply because 40 cells has more killing potential from the BFG. I also always try to keep at least 120 cells in my BFG for any sudden cyberdemons, spider masterminds, or waves of heavier enemies, so just due to how much more frequent imps and zombies tend to be, the chaingun and shotguns get used a lot more on average.

When out of chaingun ammo, the single-barrel makes a great sniper and the faster ROF makes it better for stunlocking than the SSG is, so it definitely stays handy even after you have the SSG and CG.

Love Doom's weapon balance so much - the roster would feel very incomplete without any of them!

i hear alot of people saying pistol but tbh fist isnt even that useful most of the time even with berserk. you already have the pistol witch is 1000x better than the fist just kinda rendering it useless. even when you do have the berserk it still isnt very useful to me. i would rather use normal shotgun

EDIT : i just now realized this an completely different thread from the other least used weapons one

I'm in the same boat for saving cells for BFG when I have it so the poor plasma gun gets little love. I however do use my shotgun for weak enemies, mainly zombies and imps.

I use the chaingun the least, because it sucks. At least in Doom 2 it sucks. The damage is far too underwhelming for what it is. 

It makes sense that the BFG is currently ahead because of how rare it often is and how rare ammo for it can be, so ultimately that's probably my least used weapon from a practical standpoint, but assuming i already have all weapons i almost never touch the chaingun, i hate it. even as a sniping weapon i feel like i can deal much more damage at most ranges with the pump shotty unless the enemy is extremely far away. If i am attempting to snipe an enemy at extreme ranges i'm likely to get irritated by how little damage i'm doing and attempt to get closer so i can use the shotgun instead. there's almost no reason to use it.