Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

Best sound wad?

Firstly this thread was originally going to be best version of the doom sfx but i didn't do that because everyone would just choose the original pc doom sfx, and to be fair that's OK because i sometimes prefer the old sfx.

So what's your favourite sound wad or sfx from a wad.

Mine would be anime.wad and tronic.wad

Beavis.wad! e.g.:
Cacodemon death: "Whoa! His brains fell out"
Baron wake-up: "Those guys are pissed"
Imp: "Are you threatening me?"
Demon death: "I kicked his ass"
Cyberdemon wake-up: "He looks like a dork"
Spider Mastermind death: "That was pretty disgusting, Beavis." "Yeah, I know, huh huh huh huh huh..."
Gibbing sound: "Butt-Head!! Did you see that???!!!"
Marine death: "This sucks, we lost. Let's get outta here."

I don't use stuff like that. Doom sounds best as Doom! Even if a mod replaces a sound without reason I tend to remove it.

All of the ones that I've tried have some thing or another that makes me not like them, but I'd say the best one's I've heard are HOE.wad and Real.wad. If I had to use a sound effects wad, I'd probably end up making my own from the best of everything else.

DEMOn said:

Is there anyone like 'cool' in there?

The word "cool" features in a large number of the sounds, especially the most common ones. "Cool" (item pickup); "Cool - dead mouse" (imp death); "Whoa, that was cool" (baron death); "Those guys are cool" (lost soul), etc.

There was another B&B sounds wad (Butthead.wad, IIRC) that was inferior in most other respects, but had a great one for the lost soul: "That flying skull rules!". It also had a good one for the Spider Mastermind death: "Beavis, pick up those pieces, there's a reward."

fodders said:

DMsound wad of course.

"ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?"

Methinks that quote is my favourite.

And yeah i do kinda agree that original doom sfx rule from time to time. Sometimes i try something else. It kinda depends on the wad that i use. I beat Hell revealed with the Tronic sfx.

(btw: you can get some of these wads on doomworld)

I despise sound replacement WADs, unless they are part of a TC or something like that (and then they are OK only if they fit well...)

Scuba Steve said:

Newface

f+x=y(k); for x=u and y=c

and the only sound wads I use are music wads. Namely atomic.wad and music3.wad. I don't think you can find the latter anymore. Unfortunately, since my SC is dieing and source ports cannot play mus files PROPERLY, I'm kinda screwed if I wanna listen to some of the best game music ever. :(

PSXDoom, Mark Klem's sounds are pretty spiffy also.

ravage said:

Unfortunately, since my SC is dieing and source ports cannot play mus files PROPERLY, I'm kinda screwed if I wanna listen to some of the best game music ever. :(

I found that with the GUS patches I use MUS-based music sounds pretty good (in respect to giving the proper MUS feel, I mean.)

http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/default.htm

Both zdoom and prboom support TiMidity (and thus the patches.)

PSX Doom sounds. if only because it replaces the lame default pistol 'pop' sound (what where they thinking?!). Now the chaingun sounds like its doing some damage. although, the shotty sound could have been better...