Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ganbare-Lucifer

Lost Media Wads or Resources

One thing that's been walking around my head lately.

It's NOT related to the infamous Eric Harris wads, but rather, wads or misc resources for Doom made by other people that due to the years passing, the download link or site has been down, and currently there's no way to find them.

For example, old pics from old posts from the Spriting Carnival from ZDoom forums are what comes to mind.

Share your thoughts about this, and/or talk about undocumented lost files here, I wanna read them since lost media has been an interesting topic in my eyes.

The only thing I can think about is skulltag mods and some old zdoom/gzdoom mods for example older versions of gears of hell and aeons of death and realm of Chaos randomizers

For skulltag which is plenty of those but what I consider lost media is those 

Old obscure weapon mods coming from wadhost fathax site not mine btw but those other ones like

Super obscure mods with maps and custom weapons and items skulltag ones in specific for example hell after dreams 1 and 2 and swan fox 1 and 2 and various other ones that got lost over time 

Invasion wads is one of them too but the invasion gamemode was pretty pouplar in the st days but what was more pouplar was those survival mods like zombie horde gvh and whodunit jumpmaze was up there too but it wasn't as pouplar 

For the invasion mappacks there was Armageddon 1 and 2 alpha invasion and delta invasion which both were put into one pk3 later on 

Futur war invasion

Invasion unleashed 

Satan's comvenant

Various other ones that never seen the light of day in popularity 

I can't really make a list of everything st related but you get the gist.

Some good 10 years ago I found a WAD that wasn't uploaded anywhere else before, it was made by some folks working at a Gateway office, recreating their office building for fun. I made a (in hindsight, terrible( video about it and there's some valuable comments below but I don't have the files anymore and the download links aren't working so I think it's lost again.

Also, on a less interesting note, I've had some early finished maps, and even some properly finished and tested ones for Somewhere in Time that I lost because of a partition failure, and I couldn't get my betas from anyone I knew...so I contributed to the stuff forever lost, too. Most of them was not even recorded.

2 hours ago, haruko haruhara said:

Invasion unleashed 

Long ago I found a video about the Anime Mansion level and I loved it so much I had to make my own, too.

I was going to link them and say it's insane how the videos are up but the source is lost - however, when I searched for them, I found a gameplay from the 31st of January! Insane, it's as fresh as it can get...seems that Invasion Unleashed is not lost, after all?!

6 hours ago, DannyMan said:

What about lost terry wads, are those a thing too?

I think those are the kind of things most people would prefer to remain lost.

Anyway I was trying to find WADs to add to my monster count thread (shameless plug BTW), and there were some I wanted to add but couldn't find, such as ESP 2. I don't know if it's available anywhere.

Anything that was in Freedoom prior to 0.64 (I think it was?) is no longer available because of a music copyright issue.

I'm also not sure how well we've preserved the outtake maps from previous versions of the wad, either, to be quite honest :(

5 hours ago, Katamori said:

Some good 10 years ago I found a WAD that wasn't uploaded anywhere else before, it was made by some folks working at a Gateway office, recreating their office building for fun. I made a (in hindsight, terrible( video about it and there's some valuable comments below but I don't have the files anymore and the download links aren't working so I think it's lost again.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=31440

Yes, indeed there is tons of wads lost in time from old sites like fathax, that was the main wad archive for both ZDaemon and Skulltag, everybody uploaded wads there as the wad-searching algorythm could easily find and download something from that archive. Sadly, most of that stuff is "lost" until the creators of said stuff appear, or until some other person appears showing that he has "X" wad in his disk drive. Also, we don't know, specifically, what is actually "lost", so we have yet another problem. We can only assume there are lost things in lost wad archives. The /idgames archive is massive enough that you can even find weird '95 maps you may have played when you were a child, luckly, Doom modding stuff is really well preserved.

help. I’m looking for Skirmish4c.wad which is a map collection, an update to Skirmish4b.wad. Does anyone know where I can find it ? I’ve been on the wad archive and various wad listing ftp sites but to no avail. Thank you. @Doomlover77

15 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

Anyway I was trying to find WADs to add to my monster count thread (shameless plug BTW), and there were some I wanted to add but couldn't find, such as ESP 2. I don't know if it's available anywhere.

Here:

11 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Yes, indeed there is tons of wads lost in time from old sites like fathax, that was the main wad archive for both ZDaemon and Skulltag, everybody uploaded wads there as the wad-searching algorythm could easily find and download something from that archive. Sadly, most of that stuff is "lost" until the creators of said stuff appear, or until some other person appears showing that he has "X" wad in his disk drive. Also, we don't know, specifically, what is actually "lost", so we have yet another problem. We can only assume there are lost things in lost wad archives. The /idgames archive is massive enough that you can even find weird '95 maps you may have played when you were a child, luckly, Doom modding stuff is really well preserved.

I have pretty much all of the good stuff from that site wadhost fathax site if you want all of the following files I can put them on the archive.org I have many things archived there but I already have archived gears of hell and aeons of death already but I will do that archive with the files I asked for on zdoom forums vitsim has everything except for those ones from early 2008 I'll let you know when I got the whole archive made but knowing archive.org they will be a network error if the wad has a lock or copyrighted material of course but I will see what I can do.

I remember there being a fix for New Doom Community Proj 2, since the release of it on idgames had some bugs yet to be squashed, so I looked into getting the patch for the fix but it seems it’s lost now since it was 10 years since it was made.

This thread is a good reminder that just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it is there forever. If you want something to be around in ten years then it needs to be uploaded to multiple places and backed up locally. 

18 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

I think those are the kind of things most people would prefer to remain lost.

You aren't wrong

I still kick myself sometimes for not having burned JWANGO13.WAD and JWANGO15.WAD to disc or something back when I had them.  It seems like they're completely lost now.

I remember years ago as a kid two wider versions of Hate Arena by HotWax, one that was the same as standard Hate Arena but wider, and another one where there was a top floor which added an extra switch that not only killed the opponents but also ends the round early. Both wide versions of Hate Arena are now lost to time.

6 hours ago, VoanHead said:

I remember there being a fix for New Doom Community Proj 2, since the release of it on idgames had some bugs yet to be squashed, so I looked into getting the patch for the fix but it seems it’s lost now since it was 10 years since it was made.

There is TheV1perK1ller's fix, which can be found here.

This actually does make me wonder if there's people out there who still have my first zdoom mods (as "UBX Master"/"Zanaveth The Corruptor"), the ones I had hosted on filefront back in the day (BAD IDEA).

As it turns out, I never really kept backups, so they're pretty much lost forever on my side.

2 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

This actually does make me wonder if there's people out there who still have my first zdoom mods (as "UBX Master"/"Zanaveth The Corruptor"), the ones I had hosted on filefront back in the day (BAD IDEA).

As it turns out, I never really kept backups, so they're pretty much lost forever on my side.

I know I have other "lost" stuff of yours, but not those.

17 hours ago, DannyMan said:

You aren't wrong

It's not a Terry WAD, but the map Aquarius199 reviewed in this video seems to be lost (although it doesn't exactly matter, as anyone could recreate it in about a second if they wished to).

On 2/12/2022 at 12:25 AM, Grazza said:

There is TheV1perK1ller's fix, which can be found here.

Ah sweet, thank u. Nvm then.