Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Nobody

[MOD-HUD] Mortal HUD: for Vanilla-DooM & Smooth-DooM

On 2/15/2022 at 12:09 AM, FlyingBearCrap said:

Anyone know what would be causing this? The hud either comes up super small and unchanged. Or is just invisible. 

Screenshot (101).png

I had the same error as you, and at first I thought my HUD was gone but really it wasn't. So the script error isn't really a big deal

Except I'm pretty sure the keycard icons aren't loading.

On 2/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, FlyingBearCrap said:

Alright, Imma try that. Thanks btw!

Edit: Got it working, it was super small in the left hand corner of my screen. Had to look up "Hud" in options search and adjust "alternative HUD"

On 2/16/2022 at 4:32 AM, Artbor said:

I had the same error as you, and at first I thought my HUD was gone but really it wasn't. So the script error isn't really a big deal

Hi people, Has the SmoothDoom mod been updated recently?

I need to know what version of smooth doom are you trying to load along with Mortal Hud or even better, if you can provide the SmoothDoom mod .pk3 archive that would be ideal.

The error is related with keys, smooth doom overrides the vanilla doom keys definitions/name. I think there could be two causes;

That the SmoothDoom mod has been updated recently and the modder has changed the name of the definitions for the keys, that's why the older definitions are no longer recognizable. Or that it is a problem related exclusively to GZDooM 4.7.1 version.

Need to pinpoint the source of the issue, in short.

I haven't updated my SmoothDoom mod since I released the Mortal HUD, I'm also recording multiple Youtube videos with it since, not a single error is showing on my end.

Yeah the errors now showing only affects keys, the rest of the HUD elements should work just fine.

4 hours ago, MORTAL said:

Hi people, Has the SmoothDoom mod been updated recently?

I need to know what version of smooth doom are you trying to load along with Mortal Hud or even better, if you can provide the SmoothDoom mod .pk3 archive that would be ideal.

I got it from the official thread, where it hasn't been updated since April. I've still attached the file I use, its SHA-256 is 5903A8C55693ED59085BD6AC8DBAB94CAF9FDCDFF08A13BEAE4FEADD7BD1F949 if you just wanna compare it to the one you've got.

I don't use any other mods at the moment.

SmoothDoom.7z

19 hours ago, Artbor said:

I got it from the official thread, where it hasn't been updated since April. I've still attached the file I use, its SHA-256 is 5903A8C55693ED59085BD6AC8DBAB94CAF9FDCDFF08A13BEAE4FEADD7BD1F949 if you just wanna compare it to the one you've got.

I don't use any other mods at the moment.

SmoothDoom.7z

Thank you! Yeah I'm getting the same error in GZDoom 4.7.1.

I realized I'm using a different SmoothDoom version downloaded from Moddb, which is compatible with Zandronum port, which I also edited time ago to modify the super shotgun Doom64 sprites colors.

I'm usually play with Zandronum, ZDoom, ZZDoom, RZDoom, ZDaemon and DSDA-Doom.

Not a big fan of GZDoom latest year and half of changes, which also makes the port to run awful on my end, specially in outdoors areas, no matter how big the map is, no matter the amount of monsters present in the map. I also tend to play big ass maps and some slaughterfest-like ones depending the mood and GZDoom just melts running that kind of wads. Nevertheless I know other people use it and have no such issues. I'm not saying GZDoom is bad or good, just my personal take here, very subjective.

Gonna do some testing with GZDoom 4.7.1 + Smooth Doom + Mortal HUD

Will let you know when I've got something working, Maybe a new version to work with GZDoom port, latest version.

A side note: If you're experiencing size-scaling issues with the HUD using GZDoom, try these settings:
gzdoom_f6Ng5pBFyJ.png.4153cbf629818357fbf0c49e1582b440.png

Scaling Options menu setting, Tested this using 16:9 (1920x1080)

On 2/15/2022 at 1:09 AM, FlyingBearCrap said:

Anyone know what would be causing this? The hud either comes up super small and unchanged. Or is just invisible. 

Screenshot (101).png

Greetings everyone, apologies for the waiting I've been very busy recently. Anyway!, Here's the new version: the problem related with keys-icons not displaying properly in GZDoom-LZDoom while running SmoothDoom has been finally fixed.

Here it is (Also already up in the main thread page):

MORTAL HUD (All Versions).zip

I decided to pack all the mod versions together into the same .zip file, to make the download process more straightforward and less confusing, (HUD mod files are ridiculously small anyways). I also added new patched versions intended to work with Zandronum port and Delashin's Smooth Doom Remake mod (More information about this can be found in the main thread page). I also reworked the entire thread and added extra information and few other external links.

Here's the major changes in short:

• All the Mortal-HUD mod versions now comes into one zip file (patches for Delashin's Smooth Doom Remake mod and Zandronum port included)
  • Mortal HUD keys icons should now display correctly playing SmoothDoom running GZDoom-LZDoom ports.
  • Mod thread reworked, added extra information, doom ports testing record, alternative download links.

If you find any problem with this new version, please let me know, thank you!.

Edited by MORTAL

Can you use this to play online or you will get kicked for unpure files?

Also, can you disable the doomguy face?

On 3/10/2022 at 2:25 AM, mankubus said:

Can you use this to play online or you will get kicked for unpure files?

I don't think that's possible however I haven't tried. Just drop the Mortal-HUD mod into the "skins" folder in Zandronum and try to join any server.

On 3/10/2022 at 2:25 AM, mankubus said:

Also, can you disable the doomguy face?

Yes, by editing the SBARINFO lump into the Mortal-HUD mod .pk3 archive:

The line is: 

Drawmugshot "STF", 5, 87, -36;

Just add a double // at the start of the line to disable the doomguy face. Like this:

//Drawmugshot "STF", 5, 87, -36;

17 hours ago, MORTAL said:

I don't think that's possible however I haven't tried. Just drop the Mortal-HUD mod into the "skins" folder in Zandronum and try to join any server.

Yes, by editing the SBARINFO lump into the Mortal-HUD mod .pk3 archive:

The line is: 

Drawmugshot "STF", 5, 87, -36;

Just add a double // at the start of the line to disable the doomguy face. Like this:

//Drawmugshot "STF", 5, 87, -36;

Unfortunately it doesn't work online, so I dont want to get used to a type of hud on SP wads to then join DM and have a different one.

I cant believe im stuck with the alternative hud which they refuse to add a bigger number for the ammo you are using, but its either that or not being able to see the list of ammo on the right.

I have to bite my tongue constantly while writing all this because your comment distills condescension and disdain to higher levels. I also realized that you're doing similar fashion around other doomworld forum threads about huds stuff and complaining about everything as well, interestingly enough, users there given you similar responses as mine.

11 hours ago, mankubus said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work online, so I dont want to get used to a type of hud on SP wads to then join DM and have a different one.

You're being very extremely picky and not very realistic or plain simple you don't fully understand how doom servers works, or how doom mods and the doom modding community works at all.

Doom community has made probably thousands if not hundreds of thousands of mods along these last two decades, and many of those have custom HUDs, if you can't adapt to other mods that implements custom huds because you have such narrow way to approach this game and so thin skin, I guess you will never have the opportunity to enjoy the most majority of the best mods ever created and probably you will discard 9 of 10 mods out there just because "muh the hud me don't like"

11 hours ago, mankubus said:

I cant believe im stuck with the alternative hud which they refuse to add a bigger number for the ammo you are using, but its either that or not being able to see the list of ammo on the right.

Yet again, if this HUD issue is causing you so much trauma and is so unbearable for you, why not make your own hud mod instead. Complaining in every single forum mod-thread, literally in every single one, about "people should do this because I DEMAND IT, unbelievable that nobody did what I demand!" this is not going to get you anywhere. People who make mods for doom are encouraged precisely for this same reason, to fix things, add new content and improve something, they act rather than complain, if you don't know how to make something, then you learn how do do it, or this is so much for you? it's better to just whining around hoping that some fool does all the hard work for you right?. As Dark Pulse said in the other doomworld mod thread where you also have been complaining around, go and Make your own HUD/Status Bar.

About trying to join Multiplayer servers with user-side pre-loaded mods

You are attempting to join servers with user-end preloaded mods... You can not pretend to be allowed to join into a server with a mod that may make the whole server to crash due mods incompatibility. Servers have a list of already predefined mods loaded, and you MUST have the exactly ones to be allowed to join for multiple reasons. you can't pretend to load doom mods on your end and then join a server like nothing happens, because if that's allowed for every single user, everyone will be joining to all servers to the left and to the right full loaded with cheating/hacking pre-loaded user-side mods and running rampant all over the place with god mode immortality, infinite ammo and pistols that does 9999 damage, passing through walls like ghosts, ruining the fun of the other legit players, messing around the servers and only god knows what more issues may happen, not to mention the most probable server errors and other stuff that 100% will happen by loading indiscriminately mods that causes conflicts with each other. Also all servers will never let you join with obsolete mod versions even if those are the same mods.

You know if that is really a big issue for you, you can always host your own dedicated server and then add all the mods you want into it, that definitely would work.

You're asking for something almost impossible (unless as I said you're the one hosting your own dedicated server + with your own combo of mods), you can't merge specific wads or mods because they conflict with each other and will make the entire engine to crash to desktop, you can't merge brutaldoom with complex doom or Who dun It with Bloom and so on. Mortal-HUD was made to work along with vanilla doom or smooth doom, PERIOD. if you try to load any other mod that adds or edits weapons, player class or defines custom ammo or replaces the existent ones, or prioritizes its own HUD, mortal-hud no longer works, which is exactly the case, guaranteed. Every single mod has its own code definitions and sometimes code conflicts with each other because they tweak the same parameters.

As a side note; Nowadays Doom multiplayer is almost dead, 9 of 10 servers are empty and those left with few players active are always the same old well known asses that usually plays the same combination of mods over and over for the last years. This is me telling you this, a man who have been playing doom multiplayer since Skulltag-ZDaemon times, like a decade ago, and the decline is very evident, almost flatline dead player base. Years back you can even find a lot of people playing pure vanilla-doom or chillax long lasting games with 3 lives, for such games Mortal-HUD should work just fine. But nowadays is totally different; The remaining servers with daily active players as I said, have a ton of mods already loaded that completely changes the hud, monsters classes, monsters spawns, custom player class, weapons, game mechanics and other stuff, Such as Complex doom + LCA + InsaneLCA, Who dun It, Chillax + custom shop and experience code, or the others megagames around. It's impossible to make the hud work with those combination of mods that already uses and had integrated their own HUD system.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:47 PM, MORTAL said:

Doom community has made probably thousands if not hundreds of thousands of mods along these last two decades, and many of those have custom HUDs, if you can't adapt to other mods that implements custom huds because you have such narrow way to approach this game and so thin skin, I guess you will never have the opportunity to enjoy the most majority of the best mods ever created and probably you will discard 9 of 10 mods out there just because "muh the hud me don't like"

I only play classic DM/Duel so there are no wads that would overlap the hud typically. I play Zdaemon mostly tho which also has this problem.

In any case the solution to all of this would be that default alternative hud adds the missing bigger number for the ammo you are using. I don't understand if they didn't add this because of some technical limitation or it's just some arbitrary decision. I don't see how this is the case since the classic Doom HUD already shows big number + ammo list.

6 hours ago, mankubus said:

I don't understand if they didn't add this because of some technical limitation or it's just some arbitrary decision. I don't see how this is the case since the classic Doom HUD already shows big number + ammo list.

People already told you why and Graf came up with a suggestion. Did you miss it by chance?

This hud is so great, I always hated that the full screen hud removed the face. If I had to imagine what my ideal FS hud would look like, this would be it. Thank you so much this is now my default hud when playing GZDoom wads :)

On 3/18/2022 at 8:58 AM, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

This hud is so great, I always hated that the full screen hud removed the face. If I had to imagine what my ideal FS hud would look like, this would be it. Thank you so much this is now my default hud when playing GZDoom wads :)

Sweet glad to hear! and thank you very much for your kind words.

Finally, found a perfect minimal HUD for me. Berserk\armor color indicator, mugshot and all ammo counter. Ideal HUD!

Like some ppl say earlier, it would be cool if PRBoom\DSDA doom compatibility is implemented.

3 hours ago, Zaratul said:

Like some ppl say earlier, it would be cool if PRBoom\DSDA doom compatibility is implemented.

I don't think the result will be identical to MortalHUD, but dsda/prboom do support a feature which should let us get something close enough

I was looking into it the other week, but I was unable to find much knowledge/documentation about that feature

I'm talking about the "-PRBHUD-" lump 

11 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

I don't think the result will be identical to MortalHUD, but dsda/prboom do support a feature which should let us get something close enough

I was looking into it the other week, but I was unable to find much knowledge/documentation about that feature

I'm talking about the "-PRBHUD-" lump 

The -PRBHUD- lump, from what I can tell, is a list of the different arrangements of the advanced HUD (the fullscreen HUD without status bar). The default lump that comes with dsda-doom can be found here: https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom/blob/master/prboom2/data/lumps/-prbhud-.lmp

You can rearrange the available elements, but that's about it. True HUD customization is a ZDoom thing.

yeah I've already tried creating and loading a wad with that lump inside, it leads to nothing

the only way to get something is by editing the lump inside dsda-doom.wad, which of course is not ideal (any change would be overwritten every time the source port will be updated)

Edited by Delfino Furioso

I noticed from reading through this that the compatibility with other source ports seemed unanswered, or I missed it but in either case I'll clear that up right now. 

The answer NO that is not compatible with PrBoom or crispy or various others.  It would be compatible with ZDoom 2.8 however using the Zandronum Patch version. The reason for this is that it is not built as a "proper" ( theres a couple ways to do it unless you are going for Chocolate compatibility then it must have a DEH) Doom pWad, but as ZDoom family format using PK3.

In PrBoom you can press = to max out the HUD to a simplified version, just in case no one knew that.

Edited by kalensar : adding on extra thoughts.

Hi @MORTAL I've taken the liberty to make some changes to the "Vanilla-Big" variant

This was only for personal use and the results are just a matter of personal preference, though I'm still posting them in case someone has similar taste.

DOWNLOAD ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lkh2onjey0axl3k/MortalHUD-Tweaked-20220721.7z/file

TWEAKED VERSION ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2474092
Author  : DelfinoFurioso
Version : 1.3.DF.20220721
File    : MortalHUD-Tweaked-Main.pk3
Patches : MortalHUD-Tweaked-Patch-BDLite.pk3
          MortalHUD-Tweaked-Patch-FinalDoomer.pk3
          MortalHUD-Tweaked-Patch-PerkEnhanced.pk3
          MortalHUD-Tweaked-Patch-SuperCharge.pk3

LEVELINFO COMPONENT ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60356
Author  : Tekish
Version : 1.30
File    : Embedded in Main .pk3

HOW TO USE THIS HUD ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
GZDoom is required
Zandronum is not supported
You must set the "ScreenBlocks" CVAR should to "11"
You should load the HUD after all other wads, here's a coomand-line example:
gzdoom.exe -iwad /path/to/DOOM2.WAD -file /path/to/EVITERNITY.WAD /path/to/SUPERCHARGE.PK3 /path/to/MortalHUD-Tweaked-Main.pk3 /path/to/MortalHUD-Tweaked-Patch-SuperCharge.pk3

MOD COMPATIBILITY //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
the "Main" pk3 should be compatible with:
- all IWADs and PWADs using stock resources and actors
- DECORATE/ZSCRIPT mods that do not add/alter/replace any weapon/powerup/key
- DEHACKED mods that make only small changes to stock weapons/powerups/keys

the "Main" pk3 has been successfully tested with:
- DOOM.WAD/DOOM2.WAD/TNT.WAD/PLUTONIA.WAD
- BlackOps by VGA ( https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/84859 )
- MiniCharge by Tango ( https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/109195) 

the "PerkEnhanced" patch provides compatibility (and has been successfully tested) with:
- Smooth Weapons Enhanced by NightFright2k19 ( https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=32628) 

the "BDLite" patch provides compatibility (and has been successfully tested) with:
- Brutal Doom Lite by DavidN ( https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62203) 

the "SuperCharge" patch provides compatibility (and has been successfully tested) with:
- SuperCharge by Tango ( https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/109107) 

the "FinalDoomer" patch provides compatibility (and has been successfully tested) with:
- FinalDoomer by Sgt.Shivers ( https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55061) 

VERSION HISTORY ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Initial release:
- cosmetic changes to MortalHUD-Vanilla-Bigsize
- mughsot/inventory switcher

2022-03-30:
- added support for pwad-provided custom STTNUM lumps

2022-03-31:
- added support for "Smooth Weapons Enhanced"

2022-06-01:
- cvar-based settings (with menu and translation support)
- reorganized pk3 contents (with lump filtering)
- minor cosmetic changes
- added support for more keys than 6 keys
- added support for "Brutal Doom Lite"

2022-06-03:
- added "LevelInfo" hud component (with permission from Tekish)
- added support for "SuperCharge"
- added support for "Final Doomer"

2022-06-06:
- added current ammo type indicator
- added support for custom key sprites
- removed unused graphical lumps

2022-07-21:
- updated the "Supercharge" patch to support the mod's 2.9 version

SCREENSHOTS ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The following images demonstrate the hud's various features:

- scaling support (screenshot taken at 2160p, with UIScale=6)

- pwad-provided hud fonts and armor/health/key sprites (ie: BTSX ep1)

- more than 4 ammo types on display, supported mods only (ie: Supercharge)

- custom settings for mugshot, keys, powerups, stats indicators

default settings:

Spoiler

MortalHUD-Tweaked-Default.jpg.d7103bfdf49cd510d76889ce9949fe77.jpg

custom settings:

Spoiler

MortalHUD-Tweaked-Custom.jpg.de1f2794361c17f6ada2ca037c754555.jpg

Edited by Delfino Furioso : 20220721 release

3 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

Hi @MORTAL I've taken the liberty to make some changes to the "Vanilla-Big" variant

This was only for personal use and the results are just a matter of personal preference, though I'm still posting them in case someone has similar taste.

Every credits goes to you, of course, since I've mainly edited the placement of various sections (ie: keys and active powerups)

The only change that could be considered major is how the mugshot show up only when there are no active inventory items

I've tested this feature using Inventory Doom since I have no familiarity with other mods which spors an inventory feature. 

The screenshot below should let anyone understand what I mean. 

I've also attached the edited file to this post, enjoy!

new layout, mugshot visible:

Hide contents

Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked (no item).png

new layout, mugshot replaced by the currently active inventory item:

Hide contents

Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked (active item).png

Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked.7z

Yo, looks nice 👍

On 3/29/2022 at 10:05 PM, Delfino Furioso said:

Credit goes to you, of course, since I've merely edited the placement of various sections (ie: keys and active powerups).

I also removed all STTNUM lumps, so the hud will use those provided by the megawad.

download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vr8wjq5bbow359n/Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked.7z/file

The only change that could be considered major is how the mugshot shows up only when there are no active inventory items

I've tested this feature using Inventory Doom since I have no familiarity with other inventory-featuring mods. 

The screenshots below should let anyone understand what I mean. 

new layout, stock STTNUM, mugshot visible:

Reveal hidden contents

1289046096_Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked(stockSTTNUM)(noInventoryItem).png.923d4ed94e5bbadf5e011253b3029c90.png

new layout, stock STTNUM, mugshot replaced by the currently active inventory item:

Reveal hidden contents

835830573_Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked(stockSTTNUM)(activeInventoryItem).png.9dc0bc63c36e23914ef0e201ec26dbf5.png

new layout, custom STTNUM, mugshot visible:

Reveal hidden contents

1760847888_Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked(customSTTNUM)(noInventoryItem).png.562b8c527ec4ebd5a03fbdeb032f01c6.png

new layout, custom STTNUM, mugshot replaced by the currently active inventory item:

Reveal hidden contents

645767934_Mortal-HUD-Vanilla-BigSize-Tweaked(customSTTNUM)(activeInventoryItem).png.f1b7c66b3882faf129b91ccffb1eabc6.png

Very nice, thanks for share with us. :D

No worries fell free to edit the hud and share as much alternative versions you want, have to thank you once again for the idea of the big-sized HUD elements as an alternative HUD variant option, which I personally have been using while playing some frantic slaughtermaps.

Is it okay if I put the direct link to your post as an alternative HUD version in the main thread? (That way you can update it if you make changes in the future and the link will remain the same). Like this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2474092

On 3/22/2022 at 10:46 AM, Zaratul said:

Finally, found a perfect minimal HUD for me. Berserk\armor color indicator, mugshot and all ammo counter. Ideal HUD!

Thank you so much!. Yeah adding PRBoom/DSDA Doom compatibility is one of the things I would love to see, I know that other users have looked at ways to do it, but I don't know if that's even possible in the same way as regular mods are loaded on other source ports. Delfino Furioso did some testing and as far I know, the conclusion so far to make it work is by editing the source port wad, which is a very invasive and volatile solution due changes would be overwritten every time the source port is updated, unfortunately not a solid or straightforward way to do it (or we haven't figured it out yet): https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2471069

17 hours ago, michealrockshim said:

your hud looks great!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

I've added support for @NightFright 's "Smooth Weapons Enhanced"

the original post has been updated with the latest download link

Gotcha! Already added your version as alternative option in the thread description.

regarding compatibility with other ports: I think it would be better to clarify that this mod is (and will always be*) available for GZDOOM only

This is due to how the hud is coded, taking advantage of gzdoom's SBARINFO lump support/api

It should also be noted that SBARINFO itself is considered deprecated by gzdoom's devs

So in a (distant?) future MortalHUD will probably require a rewrite using ZScript 

https://zdoom.org/wiki/SBARINFO

porting MortalHUD to PRBoom/DSDA without losing any of its features is not possible right now, because

A) these ports don't support external HUD addons,

B) some ui elements are available in gzdoom only (es: powerup timers)

C) the available elements can't be customized in their appearance, they can only be displayed/hidden at arbitrary coordinates 

*if MortalHUD for DSDA will happen, it will essentially be something completely new

On 4/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, Delfino Furioso said:

It should also be noted that SBARINFO itself is considered deprecated by gzdoom's devs

So in a (distant?) future MortalHUD will probably require a rewrite using ZScript 

Very Enlightening thanks. Not a big issue to rewrite the whole thing using ZScript, just need some free time, a good mug of coffee and figure out how to do it. Yeah will be probably the near future to keep the mod up & running. Very valuable information indeed.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, Delfino Furioso said:

*if MortalHUD for DSDA will happen, it will essentially be something completely new

That may be another possibility, I'm quite busy these days, but maybe by next summer I can find some time for new projects. I'm the first one interested since I use that doom port from time to time to play slaughtermaps. I was never a speedrunner kind of player but Boom ports performs spectacularly well on those wads, plus their additional features.

This HUD is incredible. Fantastic work.

I would also like to express big interest in using it in PrBoom+ in hopefully near future.

No pressure, but the demand is definitely present. :)