Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marine_Eliminator

Meshuggah - Nothing

I just purchased this CD today and i have to say i am really impressed with theese guy's musical talent! so what if there is no melody, or no real meaningful lyrics - this is pure headbangin metal! Awesome stuff and HIGHLY reccomended. What did everyone else think about this disc?

hehe you guys obviously dunno that NOTHING is the title of the CD. It aint boring, infact its just the opposite. Its more fresh and way more original than the marilyn manson and slipknot sh**, although i do enjoy the murderdolls. but they sound nothing like slipknot

I've got Destroy Ease Improve ... easily the best and most technical one-note performance ever.

hehe you guys obviously dunno that NOTHING is the title of the CD

you said it in the topic already, how would I not know?

Utterly stupid. Melody and/or lyrics is the only thing that makes good music. Like it if that's what pleases you, but please don't call it music, because it's simply not.

But what the heck is with society, more specifically teenagers' backwards-worshipping? Bad music is considered good, healthy food is always bad and the greasier the food the better, only the most dangerous and destructive pastimes (alcohol, drugs, extreme stunts) are considered acceptable. What the heck is wrong with teenagers?

Down with the human race.

Disorder said:

Meshuggah rocks, period.

Ditto.

As for you who bashed Meshuggah - if Meshuggah is not music (it has drums, a beat, a bass, vocals, a good guitar riff and awesome solos) what IS it then? dont even say noise because NOISE is someone simply screaming.

Use3D said:

I saw them open for Tool. I didn't like them.

Tool is also a great band. Also thank you for stating your opinion without having to 'bash' them. I respect peoples opinions if they state them nicely, then i have to get all "baron of helly" on their ace's lol

AndrewB said:

Utterly stupid. Melody and/or lyrics is the only thing that makes good music. Like it if that's what pleases you, but please don't call it music, because it's simply not.

But what the heck is with society, more specifically teenagers' backwards-worshipping? Bad music is considered good, healthy food is always bad and the greasier the food the better, only the most dangerous and destructive pastimes (alcohol, drugs, extreme stunts) are considered acceptable. What the heck is wrong with teenagers?

But that's what makes society great.

Very ture my friend.

People, look at this:

Meshuggah or N*sync?
Doom or Mario?
Pizza or Orderbs(sp¿)
Metal or Classical?
Skateboarding or Cross-Country?

i am NOT deliberatley bashing any of the above mentioned, i am just pointing out that what is best for us is usually (according to a majority of teenagers) boring, stupid, unthrilling etc..

Wiat, are you blaming the fact that health-food tastes like shit, or that people don't learn to like health-food?

AndrewB said:

Until you know music theory extensively, research the actual development of genres and techniques, realize that your opinion is ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE and doesn't have any bearing on this definition, and acknowledge that the term "music" essentially covers the entire spectrum of "organized sound" (e.g. sound specifically engineered for the purpose of listening, no matter what its intended effect), you have NO FUCKING RIGHT to say that something is or isn't music. Judging by your definition of music, you'd probably write off the entirety of metal, ambient, IDM, electronic, noise, punk and rap, as well as many of the more experimental yet widely accepted and reknowned composers such as Bartok, Stockhausen and Glass.

Douchecannon.

IMJack said:

Wiat, are you blaming the fact that health-food tastes like soap, or that people don't learn to like health-food?

Define "health food."

There's a difference between health-food and healthy food. There's a difference between being a health nut and having healthy eating habits.

Believe me, snacks and treats are so much better when you aren't actually addicted to them. You (well, I) can enjoy them on a regular basis without craving them or ever having to worry that I'll turn into clogged gelatin.

Newer metal bands, mostly european, are becoming as musically sophisticated as most classical groups (Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth,for example). It's good to see talent being one of the main factors that decide weather a band can make it in the industry or not.

AndrewB: You're an idiot.

Actually, there's a lot of metal and prog-rock that takes a major cue from classical music, particularly baroque-period stuff (if I recall correctly). It's just that most people aren't fond of the execution, and thus miss out on the chance to hear it for themselves.

Psyonisis said:

[edit] Ubik said what I was trying to get across

:D

Ubik said:

Actually, there's a lot of metal and prog-rock that takes a major cue from classical music, particularly baroque-period stuff (if I recall correctly). It's just that most people aren't fond of the execution, and thus miss out on the chance to hear it for themselves.

I personally don't care for Black Metal due to its ties with white supremacist groups, masquerading under some kind of goth-viking front. I'm not saying that all of those bands are like that, but enough of them are.

Ugh. Mesh are overrated, their off-beat timings suck ass, Nothing is horrible, and I will have to endure seeing them when they open up for SYL in May. Uber gay.

AndrewB said:

You sound like you understand things AndrewB. You should be king of the planet. Since you are obviously the highest authority and can say what's right and wrong with society and what's music and what isn't. You should post more on the topic, because I'm ignorant and need to be informed by such an intellectual mongoloid as yourself. Down with opinions.

On to Meshuggah. Nothing is an enhanced cd, has anyone tried it? I really like the bubbles that "sigh" when you mouse over them.

What does it say in the booklet to Nothing? It appears to be "Inginting" I thought it was supposed to be "Nothing" but it doesnt look quite right.

Future Breed Machine is my favorite Meshuggah song.

I'm not sure how you're able to Headbang to Meshuggah, Marine_Eliminator. It usually ends up looking like a siezure if you try to time it with the meter in the songs. All headbanging kind of looks that way anyhow.

i dunno. i headbang to meshuggah all the time. it's really impossible not to. they're just so goddamn HEAVY. and yes. it's fucking 'inginting'. whatever the fuck that means.

david_a said:

I personally don't care for Black Metal due to its ties with white supremacist groups, masquerading under some kind of goth-viking front. I'm not saying that all of those bands are like that, but enough of them are.

I don't see any logical connection between a band's personal beliefs and the quality of the music they put out. Musical capabilities like songwriting ability and instrumental talents are independant of anything not specifically dealing with them. I share your sentiment toward the black metal genre, but only for reasons related to the music itself. The redundancy of most black metal is ridiculous. Friends of mine listen to black metal compilations with 15 different bands which sound more alike than most 15-track albums I have. Black metal seems very similar to punk in that there's incredible variety to be found in the genre, provided you're willing to sift through the horrid 98% of it to dig out the gems. The most irritating trademark of black metal is the awful production. Given that music is all about soundscapes, I don't understand how so many people can listen to recordings that sound like they're being played over a telephone. Moonsorrow's recent studio albums have caught my interest though. There's a very mystical medieval atmosphere about the albums, accomplished through some nice sound FX, viking choirs, a few classical and folk influences, and other strange attempts at innovation like use of a mouth harp and even a hand-clap track. Moonsorrow could be called the Symphony X/Blind Guardian of black metal (I never thought I'd use "epic" and "black metal" in the same sentence).

Heh.

Meshuggah or N*sync?

Neither.

Doom or Mario?

Mario, no competition.

Pizza or Orderbs

Pizza, sure.

Metal or Classical?

Classical, of course.

Skateboarding or Cross-Country?

Cross-country, no doubt about that.

So yeah, I've listened to some of Meshuggah's albums. They have a few partially decent songs (for example, I like the intro to Choirs of Devastation). I wouldn't go as far as AndrewB and say that it isn't music. Meshuggah's "noise" is certainly artistic, and certainly has a rhythm. But most of it is dull.

I don't get the headbanging thing though. It's stupid. You'll certainly injure your neck, even though it might take some time. I mean, if you really do have that much teenage angst, why not get involved with some sport or exercise instead? That way you can actually improve your health.