Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybernight Zero

Plutonia levels that were TNT Evilution outtakes

I recently did a playthrough for both episodes of Final Doom. I read on Doom Wiki that the Casali brothers submitted several levels for inclusion on TNT's megawad, and of course, most know which four were included(Pharoah, Caribbean, Mill, and Heck). The Doom Wiki states that there were four more levels that were rejected from Evilution but included in Plutonia. It didn't however actually say which four. (They were rejected because they were too large, too hard etc)

I was wondering if that information is known or recorded somewhere just out of curiosity.

After the recent campaign of each, I'll take a blind guess. The three that seem likely to have originally been meant for Evilution might be: 1. Tombstone 2. Impossible Mission 3. Sewers 4. ? Possibly, Bunker, or....I might get some heat for this but....possibly Odyssey of Noises. The other three I chose because they didn't seem to quite fit with the rest of Plutonia but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

What are your thoughts? (I did search the topic for any possible existing thread but came up short.)

I actually don't know anything about the topic, but your guesses make a lot of sense to me. The maps you listed are a lot less linear and larger than most of Plutonia and they don't use the typical Plutonia textures as much as the other ones (excluding Bunker), iirc, so it would make sense that they were made for a different megawad originally.

There is someone that knows: @DCasali

I believe he discussed this on his playthrough of Plutonia - well worth a watch if you like these types of details as he discusses them. Found it really enjoyable with lots of historic insights!

7 hours ago, ImproversGaming said:

There is someone that knows: @DCasali

I believe he discussed this on his playthrough of Plutonia - well worth a watch if you like these types of details as he discusses them. Found it really enjoyable with lots of historic insights!

Ok, I've seen these. He does offer insight into the development but his memory was a bit sketchy. Which is understanding considering that was what 26 years ago or so. 

Rejected TNT maps being used in Plutonia? Does that statement have any citation, if not, does anyone know where it might have been sourced from?

3 hours ago, DCasali said:

We also weren't crazy about the range of quality of the maps in TNT. That, and because there had already been disagreements about TNT and what should be in it, Milo and I started building our own set of maps that delivered what we were more interested in playing ourselves. 

That's really interesting. Opinions on TNT: Evilution has actually remained mixed throughout the years, some think it stinks, others think it's excellent, while guys like me think it's a mixed bag with a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of weak or even bad stuff.

The atmosphere, and particularly the music seems widely appreciated even by detractors, however.

Plutonia, of course, remains regarded as the better half by many, its gameplay carrying strong influence even today.

How much do you recall about the development of TNT, and do you think you'd ever give it a play some day, giving your thoughts on the levels?

On 2/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, DCasali said:

Plutonia does contain a few maps that were excluded from TNT. I don't remember exactly which ones, I went back through to try to jog my memory, but it didn't help much. I think map 09 Abattoir was one of them, and if I had to guess it'd be map 02 (Well of Souls) and perhaps map 08 (Realm). The maps were part of TNT until it was agreed to be sold to ID, then existing concerns about difficulty lead to their removal. Milo and I didn't want to reduce the difficulty because we were in a different mindset than most of the rest of the TNT team. We were more excited about providing a challenge and weren't worried about going against established conventions. 

We also weren't crazy about the range of quality of the maps in TNT. That, and because there had already been disagreements about TNT and what should be in it, Milo and I started building our own set of maps that delivered what we were more interested in playing ourselves. 

Thanks, I appreciate this "mystery" being addressed. 

On 2/19/2022 at 9:10 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

Rejected TNT maps being used in Plutonia? Does that statement have any citation, if not, does anyone know where it might have been sourced from?

Actually, I thought I read it on Doom WIki, for Plutonia, but now I'm not sure. I did find however an interview with Ty Halderman where he does confirm that the four cut levels ended up in Plutonia. (Which is awesome)

On 2/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, lff-2000 said:

Thanks, I appreciate this "mystery" being addressed. 

This is really interesting to read, I have a few questions Mr. Casali:

1. If you had to make both Plutonia and TNT today what major differences would you implement?

2. Regarding TNT; did you expect the amount of speedrun demos to made for that wad?

3. What is your favourite map to play/make in Plutonia and TNT?

Thank you very much for making two great wads and being a big part of my gaming childhood!