Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

The UnMaking: 40 visions of madness for Doom 64 (VERSION 2.6!)

Big news!

After a much needed break from the project, I've come back with a bit of extra clarity (and feedback from quite a few more players). The result is Release Candidate 2, which includes more changes than at any other point since The UnMaking made the leap from EX to the official remaster. I've cleaned up the visuals in a lot of places, added some subtle hints to a few of the more confusing maps, and worked out a number of issues that I previously thought I just had to live with. I'm really proud of this version of the mapset, and it's about as perfect as it's gonna get.

But that's not all! As of today, all 40 maps of The UnMaking are also available to play in @molecicco's Doom 64 CE mod for GZDoom, which adds tons of fancy effects, upscaled graphics, and is a vastly more customizable experience than either Doom 64 EX or the remaster. As far as the maps themselves, this version is a mix The UnMaking's two major releases, combining elements of both the EX and remaster builds. Massive thanks to @molecicco for shouldering all of the work of porting the wad over. I did nothing but playtest and make suggestions, but rest assured it's 100% scwiba approved. Head over to the Doom CE thread for more info.

I've noticed a bit of an issue with the patching process for the KPF file. I use the restoration patch for my Doom 64 install, and due to the change in size of Doom64.kpf, flips.exe doesn't seem to want to patch the file. I even opened #INSTALL UNMAKING.BAT and changed the file size accordingly for my modified Steam KPF, and it still doesn't work. Could someone assist?

6 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I've noticed a bit of an issue with the patching process for the KPF file. I use the restoration patch for my Doom 64 install, and due to the change in size of Doom64.kpf, flips.exe doesn't seem to want to patch the file. I even opened #INSTALL UNMAKING.BAT and changed the file size accordingly for my modified Steam KPF, and it still doesn't work. Could someone assist?

If you use the steam method of verifying the integrity of files, it will restore the KPF to the original and you can install it. This will undue your restoration patch though. The kpf patch primarily just updates the logo and some of the text, it doesn't affect the gameplay nor its visuals.

7 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

If you use the steam method of verifying the integrity of files, it will restore the KPF to the original and you can install it. This will undue your restoration patch though. The kpf patch primarily just updates the logo and some of the text, it doesn't affect the gameplay nor its visuals.

I know. I'm just trying to figure out a way to have it be compatible. Because I'd love to be able to do both without having to manually edit the KPF every time.

2 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I know. I'm just trying to figure out a way to have it be compatible. Because I'd love to be able to do both without having to manually edit the KPF every time.

With the hoops you have to jump through to get wads working in the remaster, I'm not sure how to make the mapset compatible with other mods at the moment. I could create a specific patch based on your setup but that would only work for people with the exact same mods. And if your game is already modded, I wouldn't be sure the main wad is patching correctly even if it's not kicking back an error. There's a video on YouTube right now of something trying to play The UnMaking with other mods already installed and it looks like none of the mapinfo lump was patched correctly.

Just now, scwiba said:

With the hoops you have to jump through to get wads working in the remaster, I'm not sure how to make the mapset compatible with other mods at the moment. I could create a specific patch based on your setup but that would only work for people with the exact same mods. And if your game is already modded, I wouldn't be sure the main wad is patching correctly even if it's not kicking back an error. There's a video on YouTube right now of something trying to play The UnMaking with other mods already installed and it looks like none of the mapinfo lump was patched correctly.

The patch only changes things found in the KPF files, any WAD-based changes are contained in an external PWAD. The IWAD remains completely untouched and works fine.

2 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

The patch only changes things found in the KPF files, any WAD-based changes are contained in an external PWAD. The IWAD remains completely untouched and works fine.

In that case you should be totally fine if you just leave the KPF as it is. As @Immorpher said it only affects a few things in the menus and the mapset is perfectly playable without it. You likely won't even notice the difference once you've started a new game.

28 minutes ago, scwiba said:

In that case you should be totally fine if you just leave the KPF as it is. As @Immorpher said it only affects a few things in the menus and the mapset is perfectly playable without it. You likely won't even notice the difference once you've started a new game.

Okay, I figured out this flips tool thing and made my own variation of SteamKPF and #INSTALL UNMAKING.BAT that's more compatible with the restoration version. Essentially you'd just replace the files in the existing Unmaking directory with those and it just works. Maybe you can include these as an option in RC3? :P

unmaking restoration version patch.zip

1 minute ago, scwiba said:

Just saw that! There are a couple fixes I wanted to make anyway so I'll test out a PWAD version and get it updated as soon as possible.

Awesome! What about the kpf patches though? What's the plan on that moving forward? Still the same, I assume?

Just to clear up any confusion for those wondering, despite the update to Doom 64, you can still play The UnMaking with the RC2 patch. The patch will correctly be applied to the WAD file (which includes the maps, graphics, and music), while it will fail on the KPF file (which includes only minor menu changes). We're working on an RC3 package that addresses this issue but you can keep playing the mapset just fine with the current download in the OP.

9 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Awesome! What about the kpf patches though? What's the plan on that moving forward? Still the same, I assume?

For the time being patching the KPF file will still use the same process, yes.

i cant reproduce it anymore

Edited by irukanjji : i cant reproduce it anymore

3 hours ago, irukanjji said:

in the last doom64 update, you can run your patch kpf, alongside with doom64.kpf, like i did, and it works

ex: DOOM64_x64.EXE -file unmaking_rc3.kpf unmaking_rc3.wad

Oh this is completely new to me! @scwiba this means custom KPF asset replacements, or putting KPF assets in the WAD? Or maybe putting the maps and stuff into a KPF file. If we can get this to work.

Edited by Immorpher

1 hour ago, irukanjji said:

i mean patch doom64.kpf give the result, a name, for ex:unmaking_rc3.kpf, and put it in doom64 folder

I can't seem to get this to work. How do you load the patched KPF alongside the vanilla one?

On 3/2/2022 at 3:34 AM, OpenRift said:

I can't seem to get this to work. How do you load the patched KPF alongside the vanilla one?

i cant reproduce it anymore

Edited by irukanjji : update info

On 3/1/2022 at 6:30 PM, irukanjji said:

in the last doom64 update, you can run your patch kpf, alongside with doom64.kpf, like i did, and it works

ex: DOOM64_x64.EXE -file unmaking_rc3.kpf unmaking_rc3.wad

Well, I guess I've got some more testing to do.

Edited by scwiba

12 hours ago, irukanjji said:

Like this DOOM64_x64.EXE -file unmaking_rc3.kpf unmaking_rc3.wad

And unmaking_rc3.kpf is the patched version on Doom64.kpf? Is the unpatched Doom64.kpf.bak renamed back to Doom64.kpf?

1 minute ago, irukanjji said:

Yep, unmaking_rc3.kpf is the patched version on Doom64.kpf, but instead of renaming unmaking_rc3.kpf = Doom64.kpf, i only put the pached file alongside with original doom64.kpf, in the same folder

I'm trying to do this but not getting the correct results. I copied the patched kpf and renamed it unmaking_rc3.kpf, then unpatched doom64.kpf and left both in the folder. Tried running the game with -file and it only applies the pwad.

Honestly, I really do wish we could load custom KPFs with the -file parameter, or contain custom KPF stuff in PWADs. Maybe we can ask the Kex boys about it, since right now Doom 64 needs another patch anyway due to performance issues.

This is very fun mod. I am truly amazed what you have been able to do with the Doom 64 assets.

I think I maybe encountered a bug in my playthrough.

I am unable to shoot a switch in Level 09 : Dig Your Own Grave : screenshot1, screenshot2

This impacts the last version of the mod with the current steam version.

Is there a secret guide planned?

If not, would you consider a guide for only the secret level exits?

I was not able to find the Hectic replacement :(

On 3/10/2022 at 2:41 AM, Seppe said:

This is very fun mod. I am truly amazed what you have been able to do with the Doom 64 assets.

I think I maybe encountered a bug in my playthrough.

I am unable to shoot a switch in Level 09 : Dig Your Own Grave : screenshot1, screenshot2

This impacts the last version of the mod with the current steam version.

Is there a secret guide planned?

If not, would you consider a guide for only the secret level exits?

I was not able to find the Hectic replacement :(

Thanks for the feedback!

The secret switch you mention is shootable, it's just a matter of finding the right spot to shoot from. This secret seems to be pretty tricky for a lot of players. A secret guide was never planned but might be fun to make. This immediately made me think of @DavidN's strategy guide for Ascent of Titan, but I don't have those kind of pdf skills. I could also just add them to the doomwiki. Is it frowned upon to edit articles about your own maps?

Edited by scwiba

Nice effort! Unfortunately, I do not think this mapset is for me - at least, without GZDoom's quality of life improvements.

Shame, because I really like the concept. :(

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Nice effort! Unfortunately, I do not think this mapset is for me - at least, without GZDoom's quality of life improvements.

Shame, because I really like the concept. :(

Guess what, you can have your cake AND eat it too! :P

Doom CE is a mod for GZDoom that recreates Doom 64 (among others) as faithfully as GZDoom allows, but with the option of using all the usual bells and whistles of GZDoom. And some of the Doom 64 EX and Remaster mods have been converted to work with Doom CE in GZDoom... including Unmaking. Check the OP and links there for more information. Have fun!