Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Industrial ect..

Since everyone is waving flags of all their favorite bands and what-not, might as well start a thread on a style of music that hasn't made an appearence since the early 90s, *real* industrial I mean. Any favorite bands, songs?

My personal favs.

Skinny Puppy - Worlock, Facist Jock-itch, Far Too Frail
Front242 - Headhunter, Welcome to Paradise, Motion
TKK - Kooler Than Jesus, After the Flesh, I Live For Drugs
Electric Hellfire Club - Incubus, Prince of Darkness
Alien Sex Fiend - Comatose, Dead and Burried
Ministry - Effigy, Cannibal Song, Thieves
NIN - Down In It, Something I Can Never Have, Sin
Ohgr - Anything
Suicide Commando - Necrophilia, See You In Hell
VAC - Thought Criminal, Murder the World, Descent to Darkness
Unit187 - Dead Dogs, Rat Trap

I havn't heard any good releases lately from Metropolis besides No More Ghosts.. we'll see what happens with VAC's new album.. probibly more club shite.

Lüt said:

DANZIG 5!

I just seen Danzig a few months ago, did he get fat or what :\ He came out on stage with a vest two times too small for him and these latex Batman gloves, standing in place doing that metal god fist shaking business for an hour.

Ed said:

I just seen Danzig a few months ago, did he get fat or what :\

I saw him on the Danzig 6 tour, he was jiggling around on stage back then too. I suppose he's even worse nowadays. I haven't seen him since the 6 tour (and no I haven't bought Danzig 7 and I don't plan on it).

i think danzig 4 was definitely his best album.

Ed said:

Since everyone is waving flags of all their favorite bands and what-not, might as well start a thread on a style of music that hasn't made an appearence since the early 90s, *real* industrial I mean.

Early 90's? Why do you have Ohgr in there then?

david_a said:

Early 90's? Why do you have Ohgr in there then?

He's exempt :P

"Industrial" is probably one of the loosest musical terms around. I don't think I would consider anything done in the early 90's anymore "real" than the stuff being made today.

I like FLA, VAC, and :w: alot. My most recent industrial adventure is with Acumen Nation. Their new album is more metalesque, but their first album, second, and third I would consider industrial. Oh yeah, they fucking ROCK.

:wumpscut: is far and away my favorite, although i guess some of the stuff RR's done recently leans more toward ebm (wob). and ohgr is bleeding awesome, all of the stores around here have 'welt' consistently out of stock though :/

Job said:

Dream Theater...

what the hell

dream theater isn't industrial, isn't even close.

david_a said:

"Industrial" is probably one of the loosest musical terms around.

Secondly, I was just mentioning Dream Theater in general. I couldn't help myself. IMO, Dream Theater has a little influence of style from Industrial but it really isn't Industrial.

that dont mean dream theater isnt good :P. but wiat that aint the topic...

I like Aphex Twin, Pantera, Superjoint Ritual, Down, Metallica, Fear Factory, NIN, and probably some other bands too. But I can't think of any right now..

Disorder said:

I like Aphex Twin, Pantera, Superjoint Ritual, Down, Metallica, Fear Factory, NIN, and probably some other bands too. But I can't think of any right now..

Ah, NIN, you know no equal.

Type O Negative isn't industrial either. I just listened to October Rust yesterday...and maybe again today too.

Edit: heya Ed I love Front242. In fact I still have many 242 related avatars!

Use3D said:

Type O Negative isn't industrial either. I just listened to October Rust yesterday...and maybe again today too.

I know, I know -- but I just had to mention them and Dream Theater.
*EDIT* One more non-Industrial-related question: anyone here ever hear of Savatage? They're somewhat obscure but I really like their style -- one of my faves.

david_a said:

"Industrial" is probably one of the loosest musical terms around.

According to Danzig, "after all, industrial, or what they call industrial, is really just blowing stuff up in the studio". (That's the philosophy of Danzig 5.)

Lüt said:

According to Danzig, "after all, industrial, or what they call industrial, is really just blowing stuff up in the studio". (That's the philosophy of Danzig 5.)

The best definition of industrial I've heard is from Justin Broadrick: "Metal is about crushing, industrial is about being crushed."

Type-O are one of my all-time favorite bands, but I'm not THAT impressed with their new album (it leaked a few days ago). It's definitely decent, but not near the BK or OR level. =/

david_a said:

The best definition of industrial I've heard is from Justin Broadrick: "Metal is about crushing, industrial is about being crushed."

THe best defintion I've heard of industrial music comes from the Industrial 101: When she says "What's Industrial music?", tell her it's the sound of angry Belgians having a fight with a washing machine.

But seriously, these are my favorite industrial songs, and I'm going to use the terms 'industrial' and 'song' loosely here:

cEvin Key - Frozen Sky
Coil - Anal Staircase
Coil - Are You Shivering?
Coil - Red Birds Will Fly Out of the East and Destroy Paris in a Night (?)
Download - Beehatch (current tune)
Download - Marred
Download - Noh Mans Land
Einstürzende Neubauten - NNNAAAMMM
Einstürzende Neubauten - Total Eclipse of the Sun
Einstürzende Neubauten - Was Ist Ist
Front 242 - Circling Overland
Front 242 - Headhunter
Front 242 - Hymn
Front Line Assembly - Justify My Love
Front Line Assembly - Placticity
Front Line Assembly - Unknown Dreams
KMFDM - A Hole in the Wall
KMFDM - Godlike
KMFDM - Full Worm Garden
KMFDM - Lied Und Elend
KMFDM - Mating Sounds of Hellicopters
KMFDM - RAF OK
KMFDM - That's All
Ministry - Everyday is Halloween
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
ohGr - (everything)
(Liam will kill me for saying this:)
PWEI - Babylon
PWEI - Cape Connection
PWEI - Defcon One
PWEI - Everything's Cool
Razed in Black - Black
Razed In Black - Oh My Goth!
Skinny Puppy - Candle
Skinny Puppy - Glass Houses
Skinny Puppy - Far to Frail
Skinny Puppy - Somothered Hope
Skinny Puppy - Spasmolytic
Skinny Puppy - Tin Omen
Skinny Puppy - Warlock
Wumpscut - Black Death
Wumpscut - Wreath of Barbs

And a few others...

Use3D said:

new..album?

Heh...yeah, what? I thought they broke up several years ago.

Nope it's true, album due out this summer. Maybe HateFactor can let me in on it early.

I'm much more looking forward to the new Skinny Puppy. I'm going to repeat that 1,000 more times just so I know its implated in you collective conciousness.

as far as i know, type o never broke up. they talk about it constantly, but it's never actually happened.

Yes they're still around, and are coming out with a new album ('Life Is Killing Me') this June. I don't know why people thought they're gone - you could've checked their website or something. ^_^ If they will end up breaking up, it'll most likely happen a few months after LIKM is released - it will be their last contractual album with Roadrunner. =/

I'll just list bands for now. Some of them are under the "traditional" industrial umbrella, some of them fall more beneath dark electronic or EBM.

Cabaret Voltaire
Clock DVA
Coil
Download/Skinny Puppy/etc. etc.
Einstürzende Neubauten
Foetus
Pigface
PWEI
Revolting Cocks
Throbbing Gristle
:Wumpscut:
Front 242
Frontline Assembly
Meat Beat Manifesto
Snog
Soma
Panacea (they're really drill&bass, but their use of texture is very much within the spectrum of industrial)

HateFactor said:

Yes they're still around, and are coming out with a new album ('Life Is Killing Me') this June. I don't know why people thought they're gone - you could've checked their website or something. ^_^ If they will end up breaking up, it'll most likely happen a few months after LIKM is released - it will be their last contractual album with Roadrunner. =/

Heh...everyone told me they broke up. I don't care much anyway, never much liked them. 'Haunted' and 'Kill All the White People' were the only songs I liked by them.