Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rotting Corpse

Favorite Build game hero

Caleb is NOT a 3d Realms character. He's a Monolith / GT Interactive / Infogrammes character. 3d Realms didn't have a damn monopoly on the BUILD engine bucko.

Caleb, of course. Lo Wang is an ass, Duke Nukem is cool in a cheesy movie kind of way, but Caleb is about 120% of pure zombie coolness. It's like Ash from Evil Dead meets H.P. Lovecraft.

"But I like my hands bloody."

Duke Nukem, because its the only one I played, and I spent hours editing for it.

caleb is a bad motherfucker, but duke..... "no one steals our chicks and lives." instant win.

Don't forget that as well as Duke, Caleb and Lo Wang, there's also the guys from Exhumed/Power Slave, NAM, the Redneck Rampage series, TekWar, Extreme Paintball, Witchaven 1 & 2, Legend of the Seven Paladins and Fate to chose from.

NiGHTMARE said:

Don't forget that as well as Duke, Caleb and Lo Wang, there's also the guys from Exhumed/Power Slave, NAM, the Redneck Rampage series, TekWar, Extreme Paintball, Witchaven 1 & 2, Legend of the Seven Paladins and Fate to chose from.

that's true. i think, in retrospect, the extreme paintbrawl fella should have gotten my vote. that game was so great.

caleb, of course :) never got into shadow warrior or duke3d at all.

BBG said:

Caleb is NOT a 3d Realms character. He's a Monolith / GT Interactive / Infogrammes character. 3d Realms didn't have a damn monopoly on the BUILD engine bucko.

uhh he never said 3d realms.. he said build game... and blood is a build game... heh

C'mon, it goes to Duke all the way.. not one of those other characters had their own foot-ball stadium.

sargebaldy said:

uhh he never said 3d realms.. he said build game... and blood is a build game... heh

Realy??? I didnt know that. Please dont call me bucko.
Change the title of the thread to fave non id hero.

sargebaldy said:

Uhh, actually, he did. The original title was fav 3d realms hero.

Hmm. I'd say Caleb, since he's the coolest, followed by Lo Wang.

I've only played Blood/Duke3D/RR/Exhumed/SW so I don't know about the rest :/

I like Caleb cuz hes an old weast gun fighter. I like his look cuz its wild weast mixed with some goth. Pluse those red glowing eyes are sweet.

Yeah Caleb is the most original of the build freaks. I hear the dude in Powerslave for pc was just a Duke ripoff. In the Saturn version he doesn't say anything.

Serious Sam isn't a Duke rip-off, he's meant as a satire of Duke and other game action heroes.

NiGHTMARE said:

Serious Sam isn't a Duke rip-off, he's meant as a satire of Duke and other game action heroes.

A satire of Duke Nukem? Isn't that a little redundant?

A satire of Duke Nukem? Isn't that a little redundant?

Yeah, I fucking hate this post-post-modernist kind of crap. Films like Scary Movie which parody movies which already parody themselves are idiotic. It's a completely hollow prospect - the first parody is supposed to point out cliche and generic conventions, and the second layer of parody is supposed to do what exactly? I think it's a really empty principle to build a product aroud.

As for game characters, Caleb. He may not have his own football stadium, but you never saw Duke climb out of his own grave. He also had what must have been the coolest "Oh shit I'm on fire!" screams I have ever heard. Also he seemed morally quite dubious, and I love characters with ambiguous morality. Blood was just the best concept for a game ever IMO. The fact that you were undead yourself, a former evil cult member and not fighting to save civilisation was something I relished, being a hater of blockbuster style black+white scenarios.

Lo Wang and Duke were also good - it's just nice to have a character in games like those - I liked the fact that Lo Wang was a dirty _old_ man, an unusual choice I thought.

But Caleb could roast them all. Or at least maim them with the pitchfork.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Yeah, I fucking hate this post-post-modernist kind of crap.

I think you'll find that parody and satire have existed since the time of the ancient Greeks and Romans (probably even earlier, as both words are thought to have Indo-European roots), so I'd hardly call them post-modern. The great William Shakespeare regularly used satire in his plays, and there is even an element of satire in the earliest known work written in the English language, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

Films like Scary Movie which parody movies which already parody themselves are idiotic

The Scream movies, upon which the first Scary Movie is based, aren't parodies, they're satires:

Parody, n. - A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule

Satire, n. - A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.

Scary Movie therefore isn't a parody of a parody, it's a parody of a satire. Although you could call it a spoof of a spoof.

Spoof, n. - A gentle satirical imitation; a light parody.

Lol, I knew this was coming along as soon as I pressed post.

Man I hate semantics. My incorrect word usage really has nothing to do with the crux of my argument, so I am going to skirt round this and not be fazed by the dictionary that's being waved in my face.

The Scream films take the piss out of horror movie predictability and conventions. They also have that horrible post-modernistic smug self-referencing kind of thing going on. Scary Movie takes the piss out of this series of films. Now I find this to be a really stupid tenet for a film - the Screams were already taking the piss out of themselves, and yet someone comes along and decides to base a whole film around taking the piss out them too.

In short, the whole genre/concept is a complete and utter piss-take.

//Edit: Well, I am not going to reach for my dictionary, but go look up post-modern[ism], and I assure you that you'll find it's perfectly fitting for the context. And the particular brand of it in these kind of films - in fact, in a lot of pop culture at the moment - has not ever been present in any other era as far as I know.

Anyway, still on the purely semantic note - I would say that Scream is a parody, seeing as the focus is more on the style and cliches of the horror genre rather than the characters' folly.

It's considerate of you to edit rather than reposting by the way. Usually people are desperate to post as much as possible, and post superfluous "I'd help you, but I'm busy" replies to threads requesting help etc,

But the Scream films aren't actually piss-taking re-workings of existing films, they just make fun of the conventions of the genre - hence they're satires, not parodies.

Even if you're just going to talk about paradoy and satire in films, this has been going on for a while too. The most obvious example I can think of is the National Lampoon films, which have been around for several decades.