Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rotting Corpse

My doom class project.

I'm doing a project for my media class. I’m going to do the history of doom. I going to write a script and read it. It will be recorded and have background music. I got a lot of time. This will be 8 to 10 min long. Ill go longer if my teacher says I can. What should I say?

Do the chronological history.. source, DOOM3, and whatnot...
or hit on the things that make DOOM unique... or at least the things that DOOM did first.
DOOM's tcp port number, multiplayer over the internet, still being played professionally... etc..
or just read your sig, that should take at least 5 minutes. :P

watch the doom3 legacy trailer and it may inspire you, it talks a bit about the old doom and the transition to doom3

gemini09 said:

drop it and find a better and more serious topic

Uh, for a media class, this is actually a very good topic. DooM has been a very influental force on all media.

Rotting Corpse: I dont know what topics your media class focuses on. But if it's anything like my media classes, you may want to discuss it's incredible brand identity (almost anyone who plays games knows what DooM is), it's influence on the market (how many clones have there been?) and the effects it has had on peoples attitudes towards gaming. If you want to take the whole "videogame violence" angle, you could also discuss games like Mortal Kombat and Night Trap.

Throw some postal 2 in there.

"Doom is simply about saving Earth, Postal 2 however, is about being a raging lunatic that kills RANDOM CIVILIANS FOR NO REASON..."

I've been wanting to make my school into a ZDoom level (because of slopes. I could use silent teleporters for the upstairs). My school has some neat architecture in it. I'd just need to get the blueprints and I would.

Nanami said:
I've been wanting to make my school into a ZDoom level (because of slopes. I could use silent teleporters for the upstairs). My school has some neat architecture in it. I'd just need to get the blueprints and I would.

Depending on how much access you have to the different rooms in the school, you might just be able to do it by sight, ya know? Just a suggestion.

My school has about 2400 people, two stories, and probably 40-60 classrooms. Be hard to do by memory. =)

BBG said:

Throw some postal 2 in there.

"Doom is simply about saving Earth, Postal 2 however, is about being a raging lunatic that kills RANDOM CIVILIANS FOR NO REASON..."

Close, but not quite it.
Doom is about surviving (not taking E4 in Ultimate Doom into consideration here). Doom 2 is about saving the Earth.
Otherwise you got it right ;-P

I guess the fourth episode of UDoom is about venting your anger on the demons that killed your beloved pet rabbit or some shit like that :-P

You had BETTER not be plannin' to use it as practice before going on a school shooting spree.
*Cocks shotgun and puts on mean attitude.
;-P

DO NOT make it a script.

Have notes, but reading from a 'pre-written' speech will never go down well.

The words need to flow from your mouth as though you know exactly what you are talking about, without the neet of a script.

Use notes and pointers, but not a script.

Nanami said:
My school has about 2400 people, two stories, and probably 40-60 classrooms. Be hard to do by memory. =)

I meant something more along the lines of walking around with a sketchpad and drawing it out as you go kind of thing, but I suppose you would get a look of weird looks for that.

EllipsusD said:

I meant something more along the lines of walking around with a sketchpad and drawing it out as you go kind of thing, but I suppose you would get a look of weird looks for that.

That might work, but it would take a long time. I'd really like blueprints that had measurements and everything already.

Lord Raffles said:

DO NOT make it a script.

The words need to flow from your mouth as though you know exactly what you are talking about, without the neet of a script.

Well it depends on weather or not he's doing it on video. If its on video, then a script would work nicely. But if he's doing it in front of the class or whatever, then using some note cards works out a lot more nicely, and looks more professional.

Heh, someone in my school once printed out a screenshot of Doom, cut out Doom Guy and stuck him on front of the camera. He then walked around the school filming Paper Doom Guy shooting up all the students. I think that was his exam piece :D

LOL!

I made a map of my school from memory, yes, my school has skulls on the walls, "radiation" signs above the windows, bars in the windows and photocopiers and dining tables all look like big blocks with the SHAWN2 texture..er...

Lord Raffles said:

DO NOT make it a script.

Yeah, excellent advice. A script interrupts even the best speaker's flow, and ultimately delivering a flowing presentation is more important than missing out a few minor deatails.

I'm gonna blow my own trumpet now :) I've won a few public speaking contests, and never once did I win one where I felt I had to use a script. I can read pretty well unseen, but a) it doesn't look professional and b) it's always going to sound worse than a well-memorised presentation.

deathbringer said:

I made a map of my school from memory, yes, my school has skulls on the walls, "radiation" signs above the windows, bars in the windows and photocopiers and dining tables all look like big blocks with the SHAWN2 texture..er...

I've always wanted to make a Doom map of my school, but I'm no good at mapping. I tried to get bardcat to do it, but I don't think he was interested. I wanted the music to be a midi version of School by Nirvana. I've just realised how hard it would actually have been for bardcat to do it, since he doesn't even live in the same country as me and has never seen my school - I was gonna give him a copy of the maps we get of the school, but that probably wouldn't help much since it only shows a rough layout of the rooms.