Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

First signs of Half life 2

Ah... well it looks like we're finally about to see Half-Life 2 announced. The most recent issue of Edge magazine overseas is carrying a simple ad with just a crowbar (seen here) and you'll note that the shadow completes the numeral 2. Edge magazine can most closely be compared to the now defunct Next-Generation magazine we had here in the US. Oh, and the May 16 date refers to the news stand date of the magazine.

In addition, the most recent PC Gamer magazine I'm told was carrying a teaser about next month as well. :

We kid you not. Don't buy any other magazine until you see our exclusive blowout coverage of what's certifiably the biggest game currently in development. That's got you thinking, hasn't it? Oh, we'll have a great reviews slate, previews of an amazing new franchise, and more Hard Stuff - but you'll come for the unveiling of...

The E3 show is just around the corner starting May 13th. Chances of Half-Life 2 being revealed on or before that date? Hmmmmmm. How much time between the announcement and the actual shelf date of the game? Could be anyone's guess. Should be quite the E3!

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/25936

Hooray! Doom is my favourite first person shooter, but Half life was amazing to me.
This news is good news for Half life fans.

I guess Valve is finally getting off their asses. I'd have rather they made Team Fortress 2, but oh well. Half-Life was a good game.

Time to see if they've actually been doing anything other than breaking the original Half-Life.

Rotting Corpse said:

Cool! I cant wait to play H-L2. I wonder how much they upgreaded the quake3 enigen.

I'm not sure but I believe that they made a new engine from scratch for HL2. Then again, I'm not completely sure. I wonder what the sequel will be about, after all Black Mesa was pretty much cleared from alien scum. What's left for Gordon Freeman?

Disorder said:

I'm not sure but I believe that they made a new engine from scratch for HL2. Then again, I'm not completely sure. I wonder what the sequel be about, after all Black Mesa was pretty much cleared from alien scum. What's left for Gordon Freeman?

Is it even about Gordon Freeman, though?

He's either hired by the mysterious agency the G-Man works for or he's fighting a battle he has "no chance of surviving."

If he's hired, then this might be a disaster of a story on par with Unreal 2 ...

Hopefully they'll make Team Fortress 2 for this game. Still, the Quake version will always be the best one, unless maybe they come up with something spectacular.

Now, Team Fortress for Doom 3 on the other hand, if done right, could very well demolish anything the Quake version had to offer.

I liked tfc for half-life more then for quake. I had more fun playing it.I dont like the way tf 2 looked. It looked like another army game. If they do make T.F.2 I want it to look more like tfc.

I like TFC more only because of the fact that I could never get TF to work, but I have nothing against those who like the original.

Note: This is almost exactly the same as a post I made in another HL 2 thread, but oh well :)

the_Danarchist said:

I'd have rather they made Team Fortress 2, but oh well.

Team Fortress 2 is still going to get made. Apparently it'll use the same engine as HL 2 and the next version of Counter-Strike (the one after Condition Zero).

Disorder said:

I wonder what the sequel will be about, after all Black Mesa was pretty much cleared from alien scum.

Black Mesa was actually nuked at the end of the Opposing Force add-on, so it definitely won't be set there ;)

Arioch said:

Is it even about Gordon Freeman, though?

I've heard that you get to chose between playing as Gordon Freeman and a woman (possibly one of the two female scientists from Half-Life: Decay).

Rotting Corpse said:

Cool! I cant wait to play H-L2. I wonder how much they upgreaded the quake3 enigen.

Judging from what they did to the quake 1 engine, I'd bet what they do to the quake 3 engine is pretty amazing.

I saw that ad in PC Gamer and was wondering what it was referring to myself. I thought it would perhaps be a doom 3 thing...but i think they're going for a game that there isnt info released on.

HOLY CRAP there was a metal slug 3????? I must find it...

Anyway, IMHO half lifes story wasnt that great, it was ok but was nothing more than standard action game stuff. The reason it was so "good" was because of the WAY it was told. The cool scripting and stellar map design was something we hadnt ever really seen before, and i think we havent really seen anything as good since. Half life is probably my second favorite game next to Doom 1 and im really looking forward to this second one.

And Mega TF for quake owns all online games ;)

Fairy Gnome Goat said:

HOLY CRAP there was a metal slug 3????? I must find it...

Uh... There was a MS4 too. I think MS5 is actually in the making.

david_a said:

Uh... There was a MS4 too. I think MS5 is actually in the making.

I dont think well see MS5 bacouse SNK the company that made MS closed its doors 6 months ago. If there is going th be a new one. Capcom will be makeing it. Caopcom will most likely screw it up.

SNK shut down before Metal Slug 4, which was made by another company (can't remember its name offhand). Gamefaqs.com also has an entry for a Metal Slug: Cyber Mission, a Metal Slug game being developed for the Gameboy Advance.

The Metal Slug franchise is owned by "Mega Enterprise". They're the ones who developed MS4.

How will Half-Life 2 affect Doom 3, considering the former will almost certainly be released many months after the latter?

NiGHTMARE said:

How will Half-Life 2 affect Doom 3, considering the former will almost certainly be released many months after the latter?

not necessarily.

Rotting Corpse said:

I dont think well see MS5 bacouse SNK the company that made MS closed its doors 6 months ago. If there is going th be a new one. Capcom will be makeing it. Caopcom will most likely screw it up.

Metal Slug 5
SNK vs CAPCOM: Chaos and Garou: MOTW2 are in development too. There's a rumour that the planning for Samurai Shodown 5 has begun... I sure hope that's true!!

david_a said:

Metal Slug 5
SNK vs CAPCOM: Chaos and Garou: MOTW2 are in development too. There's a rumour that the planning for Samurai Shodown 5 has begun... I sure hope that's true!!

SWEET!!! I cant wait for Metal Slug 5!!! I wish i was in charge of making the next metal slug game. That game was the main inspiration for my Lizards!