Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Doom Game Guide: Level Analysis

I remember quite long ago Fredrik and Maonth(Shaviro) did a level analysis of Doom ][ in forum. How about let's do one on DOOM? Starting with E1M1. Opinions? Comments?

well why don't you say something useful?

That was a spam reply

* CUT STUPID FUCKING SMILEY BANDWIDTH LEECHED FROM QUAKE3WORLD *

Gameplay: too horizontal and lacks of varieties, but its good enough for a quick map to start off the game

Architecture: armor room in a decent size and nice looking stairs, with 2 electric pillars accompanied on both sides; hanger room at last with light blinking increases the atompshere feeling; the ridge where imps stand upon is a quite interesting design too

Weapon & item placement: well the level isn't that hard is it? beat it with just pistol is fine, or grab a shotgun or two from sargents, it is also nice to have supplement of the green armor

the layout is fine, it's a very thought idea adding the button open to the secret outdoor area in final ver

I think that idea had merit. It was just handled incorrectly.

The problem was that Fredrik fast-forwarded through the levels so fast that people hardly had a chance to comply.

If I were to do such a thing I would dedicate one thread to each level. Doing one level a day and dumping the contents to a text file at the end of the day.

BTW, does anyone have anything positive to say about map21 of Doom2?

Little Faith said:

In what respect?

Little Faith said:

The problem was that Fredrik fast-forwarded through the levels so fast that people hardly had a chance to comply.

If I were to do such a thing I would dedicate one thread to each level. Doing one level a day and dumping the contents to a text file at the end of the day.

well, only because Fred had Maonth to discuss with and the forum was pretty much inactive when they were doing it.

Making one thread to each level would be a real spam, I'd rather cramp all 32s into one long thread.

Actually I like the start room of map21 cuz' the setting somewhat looks like an indoor scenery of a Japanese temple.

Oh, we've started!

Well, I've always seen E1M1 as a bit of a showcase wad, showing what different environments to expect in E1. It is also made to be catchy, to spark people's interests.

Gameplay-wise it is kind of like a tutorial level when you play on I'm too young to die:

First you get to play around a bit with some barrels, a set of stairs admire the view outside the windows (quite a thing back in 93).

Next you get some easy foes to learn that aspect of the game as well as a darker more menacing room.

The third room introduces you to nukage, giving you a zig-zagging walkway to cross (not that easy if you haven't touched an fps before). It also introduces you to the first demonic enemy, an imp. Nicely placed on a pillar. This is the first fight where you have to take multiple threats into account, dodging fireballs while holding back the former humans. Lastly this area has a secret to find (two to be more correct, though you will probably not find the second on the first go) taking you to the outside area you have watched through the windows.

The last exit room is really hairy for a complete newbie telling that Doom is for real action. It also has two spooky candelabras to show that something unnatural is indeed afoot.

BTW, I think the switch introduced in Ultimate Doom (undoubtly to facilitate more fluid deathmatching) kinda ruins the concept allowing the player to progress in an awkward manner.

Little Faith said:

well, the imps appearing to eat the guy are a cool touch. and the title is pure fucking greatness.

Shaviro said:

hahahaha... now THIS is comedy! ;)

Holy crap, I almost fell from my chair when I saw this thread.

999cop said:

* CUT STUPID FUCKING SMILEY BANDWIDTH LEECHED FROM QUAKE3WORLD *

Do that again and I ban you. You've been warned about this before. Smiley images are disabled: that means DONT USE THEM.

deathz0r said:

Holy crap, I almost fell from my chair when I saw this thread.

heh, yeah! :)
Great timing!