Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDoomMaster

question on doors opening on monster kill

Hey guys, first of all i just want to say that i've been a fan of doom for several years, and i'm just now starting to learn to create doom levels. I just started learning yesterday, and some of this stuff is starting to become clear. Yet, i probably only know about 1% of everything so far.

The editor i use is DeePsea, it's the only editor i could find that was worth using lol

My question is as follows:
the first level i'm trying to create consists of lots of doors that open up to different rooms that hold different monsters. In the first room you start in, walk over a wire and the first door open revealing a few zombie men... after all 5 of them die, i want the next door to open revealing MORE monsters that must be killed to open yet ANOTHER door. This process will continue until i feel enough rooms of monsters have been made. Anyone know how to trigger a door to open on a certain monster death or a group of monster deaths? Thanks!

MrDoomMaster said:

Anyone know how to trigger a door to open on a certain monster death or a group of monster deaths? Thanks!

Vanilla DooM or DooM2 will not allow you to do what you're trying. You will need a source port such as ZDooM for that.

Vanilla DooM/2 have limited types of triggers that are activated upon the death of enemies. Typically, all enemies of a particular type must die before an action is triggered. And, with one exception, these specials work on very specific levels.

well i downloaded it, and installed it... i think... but DeePsea still doesn't look like it has more triggers... am i missing something here?

MrDoomMaster said:

well i downloaded it, and installed it...

Are you referring to ZDooM? If so, you need to take another step before you can use DeepSea (or any other editor capable of editing for ZDooM-Hexen format wads). You will need to convert a copy of your DooM or DooM2 wad into ZDooM-HeXen format. The utility you will need is ZWadconv.exe, and is available here. Read the instructions for the utility, and also refer to Rick Clark's excellent ZDooM tutorials. The specific discussion on converting DooM or DooM2 format wads into ZDooM-HeXen format is here. Although the title says "Using WadAUthor with ZDooM", the discussion on using zwadconv.exe applies to other editors too, including DepSea.

MrDoomMaster said:

well i downloaded it, and installed it... i think... but DeePsea still doesn't look like it has more triggers... am i missing something here?

First off, convert your Doom or Doom2 wad using zwadconv.exe. Then load up Deepsea and use the ZDoomHexen.prj. When it tells you to point it to the main iwad, point it to your converted Doom or Doom2.wad.

well, I guess if you want to start editing doom the best place to start is Zdoom/Hexen...right...
anyways, yes. convert first, then you can start your level making. (btw, don't forget to change game projects from Doom2 to Zdoomhexen! look under the options menu...) you can either try making your level with deepsea's kinda crappy scripting system, or you could read up on ACS scripting, which is covered at Zdooms site, which is something like http://zdoom.notgod.com

Hmm...the only way I know of doing the effect you described is using the 666 and 667 linedefs tages, but those are inbedded in the exe programme itself, and keyed only to certian monsters. If there is another way to trigger linedefs using monsters I'm not aware of it...but then again I don't do much ZDoom editing or scripting either.

BlackFyre said:

Hmm...the only way I know of doing the effect you described is using the 666 and 667 linedefs tages, but those are inbedded in the exe programme itself, and keyed only to certian monsters. If there is another way to trigger linedefs using monsters I'm not aware of it...but then again I don't do much ZDoom editing or scripting either.

and these tags only work on special maps, 666 works on e1m8, map07, and 667 only on map07, however I think you can use commander keen to use the tag 666 on other maps than these I listed...