Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

ZooM Contest

For those of you that don't already know, ZooM is a racing mod being worked on for ZDoom, and will be moved to SkullTag soon. In any case, we're coming along well right now, and some of us decided that a contest would be in order.

This contest is for a map, so all you mappers listen up.* The theme of the map is to make a Mockery style race course that's actually navigatible, but still fun to play and in many ways, mockery. The maps can have any ZDoom features or scripts, dating all the way to the most recent ZDoom (which is 46.cab currently). You do not have to include lap script, but if you want it just ask me (Kara@xfury.net) and I'll provide it. Also, if you visit the website (http://xfury.net/zoom) you can read up on the new item spheres, and if you want I can give you the scripts for those as well (although that's a bit more complex).

The winner of the contest, of course, gets their map in the wad, honorable mention in the text file, and bragging rights as the best Mockery mapper. And if we think about it maybe you'll get something else too. =P Contest ends, uh, July 15th, and all entries must be recieved by then.

Questions can be posted here or e-mailed to me. Have fun and good luck. And remember, we're still looking for long-term mappers so if you want to make more than just this one, let us know.

* = Hyena not allowed to enter.

I'll just make one anyway. You won't put it in the wad, but damn it, I'll make it!

does it count, if I take a 1024x1024 room and fill it with barrels and make a track with removing some of the barrels? :P

ugh what's with the mockery map craze. how about putting effort into making GOOD maps

I made one map that was really terrible, and put next to no effort into it, and it will shame me for quite a while. I guess some people just don't get that feeling. Although, it sort of seems like being proud that you took a dump rather than making a super-cool...uh...toilet...or something. I think you know what I'm getting at.

Cyb said:

ugh what's with the mockery map craze. how about putting effort into making GOOD maps

The craze died down some time ago.

ZooM will include 31+ other well made levels, so it'd be fun to have a mock map. And if you really want to you can put a lot of effort into a mock-style hilarious wad.

And yeah, put text in it. That'd be good.

Nanami said:

For those of you that don't already know, ZooM is a racing mod being worked on for ZDoom, and will be moved to SkullTag soon.

What's the rules on new textures/flats/sounds etc. (ie. is it just using the existing ones or are we allowed new ones)

I'm not gonna ask for the powerup scripts, instead I'm gonna put soulspheres of various colours (using translations) to represent them.

And finally, are we allowed things like projectile turrets and (dare I ask) monsters?

And finally (again), what's the track size limit?

Add any texture/flats/music/sounds you want.

Turrets and monsters and anything else you want to add is fine. Just remmeber that if you add monsters you should probably add them with scripts in case people have -nomonsters turned on.

No limit for track size but default is 5 laps so keep that in mind (it's variable from 1-9 though).

Cyb said:

I agree.

Cyb said:

the_Danarchist said:

I agree.

well, with ZooM we want the levels to be as different as possible from one another. a volcano, a haunted house, a graveyard, a factory, a canyon, an underwater race, a pizzeria (ok, maybe not that one :P)

a single mockery-style map just gives us one other type to use, and we'll gladly take it. i'd like to see the broadest spectrum of map types available.

the_Danarchist said:

I agree.

Me too. One decent mock map a month is enough for me

pritch said:

Me too. One decent mock map a month is enough for me

And if you notice, the contest ends July 15th which means we don't really expect ZooM anytime soon y'know...

Nanami said:

Ralph, give us the DoomKart maps!

This screenshot I have of DoomKart is 1337.

Hey if you want to make a nice and serious map feel free to join the team (even if you're only making one map). This is just a fun contest. See, we can add as many serious and real maps as we want, but only one mock map. See how it works?

NOW i see exactly how that works. i have to admit that at first i was a little skeptical about this "contest" and in fact this "ZDoom" based racing mod called "ZooM", but now i see where you're coming from. thank you nanami for enlightnening me on this very impressive ingenious sounding project and it's own wonderful contest!

--SargeBaldy
Original Concept, Co-project Leader
ZooM team

Tormentor667 said:

/me creates a nice map for Zoom :)

Can somebody pls send me the LAP script and a example map of a ZOOM racing track?!

I can send you the lap script if you want, but it'd be easier for me to just add it when you're done. If you want to see some courses go to http://xfury.net/Xarenrath/ZooM.zip and play MAP01, 05, 08, 14, and 25. Some are more complete than others.

Also when you make a map take framerate into mind. MAP25 does slow down a little (and it's been tweaked several times) but hopefully not too much.