Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Anomaly Report - Released! A new 33-level megawad for vanilla Doom II.

I played through 4 maps so far. Really nice stuff here, I will definitely be continuing through this when I get a bit more time.

Congrats on the release, VF! Gonna have to give this one a play for sure, screenshots look great.

No fucking way. Tbh, I’d love to see you eventually do maps under boom or mbf21. Be cool to see what you can come up with.

The screenshots you've been posting over the course of the last year were lovely, I cannot wait to blast this mf

Great to see a new megawad from you! I have a bug report for MAP02:

Spoiler

The window ledge (magenta in the automap) appears to be erroneously tagged as a secret. I don't see any way to get there, and even if I cheat my way there (with dsda-doom's fake arch-vile jump button) it's too small for the player to register.

doom01.png.7a76413aa9645c559adbd3a704995d83.png

I can't believe this. You've made another solo megawad? (Aside from the music, of course.) How many times is this now? I can't describe to you how stoked I am to try this out

Edited by Krenium

The very first question that came up into my mind when I saw the thread name: How a vanilla megawad can have 33 maps? How can that work?

I'm a bit surprised nobody has asked/commented about that yet, but maybe I'm just missing something that has already been a commonplace in Doom world which won't surprise anybody?

1 hour ago, Hisymak said:

The very first question that came up into my mind when I saw the thread name: How a vanilla megawad can have 33 maps? How can that work?

I'm a bit surprised nobody has asked/commented about that yet, but maybe I'm just missing something that has already been a commonplace in Doom world which won't surprise anybody?

Afaik with some hackery you can open up to MAP35 slot in vanilla.

Fantastic work! 

3 hours ago, Hisymak said:

You can get up to MAP35 in vanilla, but with a few caveats.

1. You can only reach the level with idclev cheat code or -warp command line parameter. Vanilla doesn't have any way to lead you to there from another map.

2. Exiting the level also exits the game. (The intermission screen crashes.)

The reason why these three extra map slots work is that the three non-level tracks in Doom II (intermission, text screen, and title screen) are put after all the level tracks in the music table. So when you access MAP33, it goes for the 33rd music track in Doom II, and since it's valid, it works. If you go to MAP36, it goes out of the table and crashes instantly.

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

You can get up to MAP35 in vanilla, but with a few caveats.

1. You can only reach the level with idclev cheat code or -warp command line parameter. Vanilla doesn't have any way to lead you to there from another map.

2. Exiting the level also exits the game. (The intermission screen crashes.)

The reason why these three extra map slots work is that the three non-level tracks in Doom II (intermission, text screen, and title screen) are put after all the level tracks in the music table. So when you access MAP33, it goes for the 33rd music track in Doom II, and since it's valid, it works. If you go to MAP36, it goes out of the table and crashes instantly.

Thanks for explanation!

So... The map33 in this megawad is accessible only through "cheating" in vanilla? Appears a bit strange to me, maybe it's considered just a "bonus" map which is not meant to be part of classic continuous playthrough?

8 minutes ago, Hisymak said:

So... The map33 in this megawad is accessible only through "cheating" in vanilla? Appears a bit strange to me, maybe it's considered just a "bonus" map which is not meant to be part of classic continuous playthrough?

Yep. If you want to play through MAP33 continuous, you will have to make yourself a MAPINFO lump and I guess make MAP32 exit to MAP33 and MAP33 exit to MAP16. And, of course, play with a MAPINFO-supporting port, not with vanilla.

I've played Doom Core, Reverie and Eternally Yours.  I like your stuff, so I will definitely give this a run-through.

Just played through the first few maps and it's pretty dang solid so far. Few bugs (like the map 2 secret) but overall I'm enjoying it. Would love to play through it on my youtube channel.