Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Nowak (jacnowak)

Make a map in 1 hour & beat the map above you - speedmapping fun thread

2 hours ago, jacnowak said:

Seeing that there is potential interest I would like to have an OPTION of turning this thing into a megawad.
I'm NOT saying this will ever happen but I would like to have this possibility technically open.

For that to work we need to agree on one IWAD - all maps so far except @Melemesh's first map are for Doom2 so Doom2 seems an obvious choice.
I think it should be fairly easy to convert @Melemesh's map to Doom2 - haven't checked if any specific Ultimate Doom textures are used but they can either be replaced by closest Doom2 equivalent (easier) or added as custom textures (more work). Would you be willing to convert your map to Doom2? Alternatively, are you OK with me doing that? Of course that's all assuming you would like your map to be included in the megawad, should one ever get compiled.

I think it's fine that maps use different complevels, most are Boom but we have two MBF21 maps. The final compilation should be MBF21 compatible - as I understand it MBF21 is a superset of Boom so all Boom features should be supported. If anyone knows that this is not true or that it might cause problems, let me know!

Another thing is that although I have stated in the OP that custom resources (textures, music) are fine, I haven't said anything about DEHACKED but if we are going to compile this into a megawad, a rule needs to be added explicitly that DEHACKED patches are NOT allowed, as if different maps use different DEHACKED patches it would be a pain to compile all that into a single WAD. I don't think any of the submitted maps include any DEHACKED but if your map does - let me know!

And last but not least - let me know if any of you are NOT ok with having their map included in a megawad. Or generally think it's a BAD idea. I think that the main reason might be people not wanting to associate their name with a low quality map. That is in my opinion the biggest argument for NOT making a megawad out of these maps, particularly as it wasn't stated in the OP that maps submitted there will be remembered for posterity anywhere else than in this thread (feel free to DM me if you have any concerns you don't want to share publicly).

Fine by me.  My only wish would be an extra 10 minutes to fix the linedefs on my doors lol

If this gets turned into a megawad I would love to play all of these and record videos so I'll keep an eye on this.

2 hours ago, jacnowak said:

Seeing that there is potential interest I would like to have an OPTION of turning this thing into a megawad.
I'm NOT saying this will ever happen but I would like to have this possibility technically open.

For that to work we need to agree on one IWAD - all maps so far except @Melemesh's first map are for Doom2 so Doom2 seems an obvious choice.
I think it should be fairly easy to convert @Melemesh's map to Doom2 - haven't checked if any specific Ultimate Doom textures are used but they can either be replaced by closest Doom2 equivalent (easier) or added as custom textures (more work). Would you be willing to convert your map to Doom2? Alternatively, are you OK with me doing that? Of course that's all assuming you would like your map to be included in the megawad, should one ever get compiled.

Nuclear_Plant_d2.zip

Ok here is a version of the map converted into the Doom 2 vanilla format. I had to replace some textures with near equivalents, but it's not that big of a difference. Again, as I said before I don't have the Doom 2 iwad though, so I had to do it with Plutonia, but hopefully that shouldn't cause any problems, since from my experience, Doom 2 and Plutonia maps are 100% compatible with each other. If this does cause any problems though, sorry about that, I really should get the right iwad. And at that, I would be completely fine with both my maps being included in a megawad, I would be very happy if that was to happen, and hopefully I can submit a third map tomorrow as well, but we'll see.

@BoxY 

Demo for your map without beating it (too hard for me sorry), at least i've activated all the switches in the starting room lol:

walt-secu-demo.zip

Here's my map:

chasmapping.zip

Title: Chasmapping!

Author: Sunglasses smirk guy

Port: MBF21 (complevel 21)

New music: MUS_E1M6 from Heretic (?)

Difficulty setting: Only for UV

Build time: 50 minutes

2 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

We should absolutely stick to Doom2.wad, it's the most used and all but two maps use it.

Agreed, I added a new rule to OP that maps should be for Doom2 IWAD.

I can work on DEHACKED level names and other miscellaneous wad lumps like the PNAMES, OPTIONS, etc. Those are pretty easy to work on and I definitely agree that there shouldn't be any dehacked content, good call. I can add any Doom or Plutonia textures that were used as well, that way only the map slot would have to change and the level can stay unaltered.

Thanks, that sounds good.

Concerning complevels, vanilla, Boom, and MBF maps all run under MBF21, so there shouldn't be any issues calling this an MBF21 wad. 

@Paf

I don't see the purpose in making a vanilla wad, Boom wad, Doom 1 wad, etc. For the ease of the players, mappers, and compilers, a Doom 2 wad would be best. Obviously it is up to @jacnowak, so I'm only offering perspective, not saying what "should" be done. 

Yes, I don't want to create different WADs for different ports/IWADS, etc. I would like to keep it simple.

Let's go for MBF21-compatible Doom2 WAD as that will run all the maps.

Still, I think I should get permissions from all map authors that they agree for their maps to be included in a compilation.

Also OP, would you want there to be all 32 maps, or would you prefer just an episode? For example, if there's 10 maps, we just have a 10 map wad? That's what Obsidian does with the Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions, it makes them really fun and snappy. 

Well, considering that this thread is only going for 4 days and we already have 23 maps, multiple megawads are more likely than just an episode :)

I would like to have at least another go at making a map for this thread (my original map for this is really crap compared to some of the entries here :P) and preferably more than one and the first time I'm likely to have uninterrupted hour of Doom time when I can focus won't be until the weekend as I'm busy with multiple real life issues.

Also, I would like to keep this thread going for a longer time, for as long as there is interest basically, so I definitely don't want to stop after 32 maps. It's not that I would like to beat some kind of record but I really like the idea that you can always make a quick speedmap and have it pretty much guaranteed that you will get a recording of your map in short time. I'm happy that this thread got traction and that many people also like the idea. I think a megawad or more would be just a side-effect of this thread, not its main purpose.

I'm definitely interested in making this an MBF21 megawad, so please include my map. Seconding @Paf: what's your policy on reusing maps submitted to this prospective set? I basically ended up making the kind of map I need for an upcoming ASS-style speedmap set, so I've already got a more detailed/tested version of it for that.

@Paf , @PasokonDeacon - I don't see any problem in reusing these maps in other projects / using them as a base for other project (as long as the other project lead doesn't see a problem with that). Actually I think it may sometimes be a good idea to build something on top of your 1-hour speedmap : there is limited time so you might have had some ideas that you didn't have time to implement so you can then expand the map at a more leisurely pace.

3 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Fine by me.  My only wish would be an extra 10 minutes to fix the linedefs on my doors lol

Yeah, I think if we are to make a megawad out of those maps, authors should be allowed to fix mapping errors. You shouldn't expand your maps as the whole purpose of this is to have a time limit and it wouldn't be fair if some people use extra time to expand/beautify their maps but things like missing textures/wrong linedef actions and stuff like that can and should be fixed.

Here is a demo of @Walter confetti's map:

chasmapping_jac.zip (I keep the file still there but it's probably best to ignore it and watch video instead)

unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to beat it - you can watch me die maybe 30, maybe 40 times, I lost count but I wasn't able to get past the room with radiation suit, I managed to get it once or twice but by them cacodemons completely block exit and surround me; sorry, maybe someone better can make a demo for you to completion?

EDIT: Actually, I made another approach and I managed to beat the map, albeit with saves. I used Eternity this time round and not sure if it's just me being more familiar with my controls setup in Eternity or Eternity using slightly different logic than DSDA-Doom  (I doubt it) or being less stressed because of availability of saves or just trying with a fresher mind but it was much easier this time round and I didn't die that much. There is a bit of savescumming at one point but nothing terrible, I managed to max the map in the end :) Yes, I do suck at Doom but I made it. Thanks @Walter confetti for the map!

Here is the playthrough video (in spoiler):

Spoiler

Here is my second map for this thread:

jacspeed2.zip

Name: Abandoned courtyard

IWAD: Doom2

Music: Score One for the Bolthouse by LazyGecko & CammyBanana from .MID the way id did

Textures used: 32in24-15_tex_v2 (used textures are INCLUDED in this WAD, so no need to use any other file (I used SLADE's "remove unused textures" feature))

Format: Boom (complevel 9)

Difficulty is on the easier side, there is plenty of ammo but you need to push forward a bit to get it.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

AAA.png.0cb144d2dc15115ef4ad592b8b8fe822.png

I'm much more satisfied with this one than with my first entry :) It took me one hour but then I figured that I have made an error in one of linedef actions (made floor go up instead of down) so I corrected that and also marked one sector as secret as I thought this makes sense as a secret (although quite easy to find). Enjoy :)

Edited by jacnowak

Hey there, @jacnowak ! Managed to beat your map, and I'm providing this topic with a map of mine for funsies (the Demo is inside the .zip file) !

SpeedOri.zip

Name : Unperfect Hatred

IWAD : Doom 2

Complevel 21 (MBF21)

Music : Beneath The Stars by Eris (Revolution MIDI Pack)

Textures used : 100% vanilla. Didn't want the .zip file to clog up or something

Some kind of a gimmick map, where only your trusty DB shotgun can help you (among other things) against an unsurmountable force that has taken over a remote outpost. Have fun !

I did some testing and slightly made the map easier than before. Still, this should provide some challenge for some.

@Origamyde FDA, cl 2 UV. Solid little turn-of-the-2000s arena, if a bit too RNG at times due to the post-RK AV trap (I would have put it at the actual door as an ambush), very good visuals for the build time tho!

I made this map yesterday for April Fool's, but I suppose it fits here too:

Name : Foolstonia

IWAD : Plutonia, cl 4, limit-removing

Music : KLAX - "Title", arranged by Oedipus

Textures used : 100% vanilla.

Difficulty settings: None, tested on UV, pretty even for old-style Plutonia

Download

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom01.png.a7a662d06708d35814c1c26d7d5d44c8.png

doom02.png.a6008501b75c2363d764eb18a5f81215.png

doom00.png.2f16c909ce0130b781c62ac1be915c5a.png

It's a sub-40 monster romp, go wild fellas.

16 hours ago, PasokonDeacon said:

@Origamyde FDA, cl 2 UV. Solid little turn-of-the-2000s arena, if a bit too RNG at times due to the post-RK AV trap (I would have put it at the actual door as an ambush), very good visuals for the build time tho!

I made this map yesterday for April Fool's, but I suppose it fits here too:

Name : Foolstonia

IWAD : Plutonia, cl 4, limit-removing

Music : KLAX - "Title", arranged by Oedipus

Textures used : 100% vanilla.

Difficulty settings: None, tested on UV, pretty even for old-style Plutonia

Download

Screenshots:

Hide contents

doom01.png.a7a662d06708d35814c1c26d7d5d44c8.png

doom02.png.a6008501b75c2363d764eb18a5f81215.png

doom00.png.2f16c909ce0130b781c62ac1be915c5a.png

It's a sub-40 monster romp, go wild fellas.

Here, the wad name is too long to fit in so I renamed the wad file "1hour.wad" Hope you won't mind.

Making myself look stupid because it's a FDA and I'm playing way tooo cautiously. Didn't kill the cybie in the end and escaped.

betafools.zip

Alright folks, I'm already regretting doing this. Cl9 Doom II, I will lower the difficulty if people find it frustrating.

agony.zip

(Forgot to implement the midi crap, just play with whatever music you like I guess.)

@Nefelibeta

agony.zip

I'm sorry, I couldn't beat it. This is my third recorded attempt and I only was able to beat it with saves. Are you a fan of Darkwave's speedmaps? This seems inspired by them. Cool level.

Played in Woof! with MBF21 compat

Build_v1.zip

Here is the first build of the wad. It contains, 27 maps (my latest one for this thread is Map27), some textures, midis, a dehacked patch that changes levels names, and a SWITCHES lump to make sure some of the switch textures added would work in Boom \ MBF \ MBF21 as they all support the lump. There are a few issues, a lot of the CC4 textures are missing as well as a few from Plutonia. I can work on that tomorrow, but I'm very tired. If you have a custom sky, use the MBF Sky Transfer linedef action instead of replacing the sky, as there's a lot of different skies and I know at least my levels are intended to use Doom 2's regular skies. Other than that, everything should be good. 

IF YOU DON'T WANT A LEVEL IN THE WAD, TELL ME

No skin off my back and I want to make sure everyone is respected. Like the OP said, feel free to clean up your levels and resubmit them, as there are a few upegged doortraks and the like. Not a huge problem, just want to make sure you guys know you have the chance to work on it. I'm not the project lead or anything though, just the compile guy. So take up any other questions or comments with Jacno if you don't mind. :D

Anyway on to my map:

Sheets Like Metal

Complevel: 21 (MBF21)

Slot: 27

Theme: CChest Style

Music: New Pacific from Marathon (Alex Seropian at Bungie)

Tell me what you think, it's tight on ammo and uses lots of Berserk. Beware, there is very little health.

Ok so I'm a bit late with this since I said I'll submit a third map a couple of days ago, but I made one I thought was just too bad to submit one day, and then I just couldn't find a time to make one. So finally I made one, but first, a demo of Dusty's map: sheets_like_metal_demo.zip

Name: Blood Library

IWAD: Plutonia (But Doom 2 SHOULD work exactly the same)

Format: Vanilla

Build Time: ~70 minutes (had to go overtime for exit switch and play testing)

Music: Default MAP01

Download: Blood Library.zip

This map doesn't really have that much in the way of gameplay, just a couple small rooms where you collect keys and press an exit switch, but that is because I decided to really make it look as good as I could, with many details. Still, being a 1 hour speedmap, it doesn't look all that good, but with it being my 5th "serious" map I guess, I'm relatively proud with what I got in the end. Again, the gameplay is quite lacking, but I hope it's at least a bit enjoyable.

We have 29 maps already. We're getting close to 32! :D

@Dusty_Rhodes
Good thing you have started adding these in a single file. I noticed one of my maps (slot 21) is not included yet.

2 hours ago, NinthBurn said:

We have 29 maps already. We're getting close to 32! :D

@Dusty_Rhodes
Good thing you have started adding these in a single file. I noticed one of my maps (slot 21) is not included yet.

Oh thank you for the heads up! I'll fix that soon.

Yeah, we have 29 maps now, woohoo, very close to a full megawad in just over 1 week :)

Thanks @Dusty_Rhodes for the first compilation! I didn't have time to check it out yet but I know it's a lot of effort to put everything together so it's awesome that you made a good start on that!

There is a list of maps in the OP which I update periodically, you can use that to cross-check that you included all maps (note that I'm also not 100% sure I haven't missed anything so if anyone's map isn't included there or in the compilation, please let me and Dusty now)!

@jacnowak I have a question. if you made a full 32 megawad.
Am I still allowed to post a map ??

Also I have an idea. It could be a series such as "Doom Board Project" what do you think about that ?

@iDoT as I mentioned earlier, I definitely don't plan to stop this thread after reaching 32 maps! I want it to continue for as long as there is interest (so potentially for a long time). You can submit your map anytime and the main rule is that when you submit it, you need to record a demo or a video of the map above you. And you can expect to get a recording of your map because the next person needs to do it when submitting their map.

The megawad (or more) is just a nice side-effect of this thread, not its main purpose - Dusty kindly volunteered to compile the maps into a single wad, so I think once we reach 32 maps we will get a megawad with them so that interested people can download them in an all-in-one package and a download link will be provided in the OP. But the thread will continue (as long as people continue posting maps) and if there is enough submissions we might end up with a second megawad in the future once we reach 64 maps, etc.

1 hour ago, jacnowak said:

@iDoT as I mentioned earlier, I definitely don't plan to stop this thread after reaching 32 maps! I want it to continue for as long as there is interest (so potentially for a long time). You can submit your map anytime and the main rule is that when you submit it, you need to record a demo or a video of the map above you. And you can expect to get a recording of your map because the next person needs to do it when submitting their map.

The megawad (or more) is just a nice side-effect of this thread, not its main purpose - Dusty kindly volunteered to compile the maps into a single wad, so I think once we reach 32 maps we will get a megawad with them so that interested people can download them in an all-in-one package and a download link will be provided in the OP. But the thread will continue (as long as people continue posting maps) and if there is enough submissions we might end up with a second megawad in the future once we reach 64 maps, etc.

I think UMAPINFO might be possible too, since you're aiming for MBF21 and all. IIRC all the source-ports that support MBF21 support UMAPINFO too.

Seriously cool. Thanks for taking that on @Dusty_Rhodes. Lmk if you have a potential series name, and maybe if you want an M_DOOM, @jacnowak. I may know some dudes.

I think this is a cool idea and plan to contribute more.

5 hours ago, Paf said:

I think UMAPINFO might be possible too, since you're aiming for MBF21 and all. IIRC all the source-ports that support MBF21 support UMAPINFO too.

UMAPINFO would be interesting, as it would allow for a lot of flexibility, great idea!

1 hour ago, Death Bear said:

Seriously cool. Thanks for taking that on @Dusty_Rhodes. Lmk if you have a potential series name, and maybe if you want an M_DOOM, @jacnowak. I may know some dudes.

I think this is a cool idea and plan to contribute more.

Happy to. Would love to see some more maps from you.

Apparently, I lost track of things here, but here's my map...

The design is simple, but took me over 2-3 hours to decorate, test and implement difficulties.

Name: Water blitz

IWAD: Doom II

Format: Doom II (tested in GZDoom but should work anywhere)

Build Time: plenty

Music: Sunder MAP11

Water_blitz.zip

Here is my contribution:

TheReactor.zip

It took exactly one hour to the minute to finish. It made me realize how slow I am at mapping lmao. Forgive the horrendous texturing!

It's a little harder than I intended, if you don't want a hard time play on HMP.

I will add a demo of me playing Water Blitz asap!

UGH! Water Blitz kicked my ass, a little more open than I would have preferred. I recorded a UV demo where I gave in after a few tries Water Blitz Demo.zip

I will go back and beat it on HMP!

EDIT: Here is my HMP demo, I beat it. But I gotta say I think this level is too hard, even on HMP. The rules for this says to make it beatable for an average doom player. It looks pretty though :) Water Blitz Demo 2.zip

Edited by TheNerdTurtle2

Here's my map! (this is my first released map btw)

Name: Boom Base

IWAD: Doom II

Format: MBF21 (tested in PrBoom+)

Build Time: 1 hour

Music: Project: Doom - Intermission From DOOM Remix

(The demo of the previous map is in the zip file)

btw @TheNerdTurtle2, the switch that raises the lift to the exit doesn't work. Thankfully I still managed to do a sick jump over it.

BoomBase.zip

Edited by RedBoule

7 hours ago, RedBoule said:

(The demo of the previous map is in the zip file)

btw @TheNerdTurtle2, the switch that raises the lift to the exit doesn't work. Thankfully I still managed to do a sick jump over it.

BoomBase.zip

Dude you nailed that demo. Super cool watching you tackle the level, you made it look easy!

8 hours ago, RedBoule said:

I tested in PrBoom and it works perfectly fine... maybe I attached a version before I saved? I literally just tested this one, so anyone that wants to play my map download this: TheReactor.zip