Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

what is the status of development

Some new stuff such as a new lost soul. idk what else, also speaking of that do you have compiled from git wads of freedoom? please give them to me btw

18 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

how is the project coming along?

Well not much. Me, Craneo and @HorrorMovieRei finished what was left unfinished and other stuff, I've also been doing some compositions and whatnot. Slow but we're getting there, i plan to fix and improve some stuff that needs retouch, particularly all the zombies and further polish the demon and archvile.

I just remembered, the octo-thing, you know... the revenant replacement, was he finished?
If i remember right, he's the only one missing

4 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

i see, are there monster sprites that are not being worked on?

The spidermastermind, such a big task to make a new one, i tried to set up some sort of group project on the discord server to get some spriters and work together on a new mastermind (and arachnotron) which was basically going to be replaced by a scorpion-like creature. However we got lazy and didn't do it lmao.

2 hours ago, Mistah Jorge said:

I just remembered, the octo-thing, you know... the revenant replacement, was he finished?
If i remember right, he's the only one missing

The octaminator was finished by rei, got a pr and everything, it should be already included on freedoom, not sure why it's not :P.

21 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

could it be that the sprites were too big? i never did get around to shrinking them :(

they did got shrunk down, heres the full sheet
image.png.08cea61f29e79c792e471f51da2feae8.png

ooh nice :D do you think it will get added?

what changes are planed for the demon? it seems like one of the better monsters to me

Edited by raymoohawk

3 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

what changes are planed for the demon? it seems like one of the better monsters to me

they should, again not exactly sure what happened lol

and as for the demon well, just polish it up. i may post some stuff over on my sprites topic.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, Korp said:

they should, again not exactly sure what happened lol

The pull request is still open, perhaps you should PM someone from the project admins to get it approved?

4 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

do you think the worm demon would work as an imp replacement?

Hmm, you don't like the current one? I remember you said it was not 100% complete in terms of what you intended, but I think it's a fine design overall.

The worm as the imp replacement seems somewhat drastic (but it should work in theory as its attack animation suits both a close-range and a fireball-spewing attack), but what would be the new pinky then?

i think the body plan of my imp is too similar to the worm's and between the two the worm is a much better sprite. i also think the ribbing in my imp makes it look like it has armour, i think an imp should look more killable than that. the worm on the other hand looks like its all meat, the right appearance for it to be taken out by a well placed shotgun blast. and with a few tweaks my imp could get rehomed to zauberer or blasphemer

for the demon i was hoping we could brainstorm something together before commiting to a design

Well, if this change is indeed made, it'll take some getting used to it for old-timer Freed∞m players :)

But personally, I'm quite fine with the current Serpentipede design. It does not seem too similar to the worm to me, although both move by means of slithering.

22 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

do you think the worm demon would work as an imp replacement?

oohh, hell no, both the worm and your serpent are great replacements and designs, theres absolutely no reason to swap them

13 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

i think the body plan of my imp is too similar to the worm's and between the two the worm is a much better sprite. i also think the ribbing in my imp makes it look like it has armour, i think an imp should look more killable than that. the worm on the other hand looks like its all meat, the right appearance for it to be taken out by a well placed shotgun blast. and with a few tweaks my imp could get rehomed to zauberer or blasphemer

Well, we can always just slightly redesign the imp, then again i dont see why "having armor" would be an issue, the zombies (atleast the shotgunner and chaingunner) also have armor and can both be killed with a single shotgun blast :P

i do think the shotgunner should lose it's armor. tbh i think i made the shotgunner worse with my edits, a video i watched recently about an amiga doom clone really opened my eyes about just how much i set back the usability of the freedoom assets. what sort of modifications did you have in mind for the zombies?

about the imp i have come to really dislike that i did not give it a mouth, like where does the fireball come from? i also think the little legs make the sprite look too busy

here is a very rough mock of a possible imp simplification

trooa1mockup.png.6fa68a3dee09a1aae8b179f4d65bdbf6.png

it still has the problem of the body plan similarity tho. i wonder if replacind the lower half with a centaur like part could work?

trooa1mockupcentaur.pngtrooa1mockupcentaurpede.png.9f8905b941b82b174af98735e6af4c30.png

the front silloute is based on the simplified mock up, the three quarter view is based on a the current a2a8 but shrunken down a bit

Edited by raymoohawk

2 hours ago, raymoohawk said:

i do think the shotgunner should lose it's armor. tbh i think i made the shotgunner worse with my edits, a video i watched recently about an amiga doom clone really opened my eyes about just how much i set back the usability of the freedoom assets. what sort of modifications did you have in mind for the zombies?

about the imp i have come to really dislike that i did not give it a mouth, like where does the fireball come from? i also think the little legs make the sprite look too busy

The zombie designs seem ok. Just redo their walking animations, reshape and fix the pillowshade in them.
And as for the imp well, i'd really consider just simplify the design a little, not redo it as the design works with our current theme and serves as a neat little throwback to the old imp.

I've been learning how to do 3d sculpting to get the sprite rotations right, so maybe i can do new zombies and imp sprites based on your contributions :)

serpentipede is cool. i don't think it similar to fleshworm at all other than the slithering. although the serpentipede-centaur silhouette is cool. serpentitaur?

my suggestions (and i am no real artist, so the talent will do what the talent wants to do): boots on pistolzombie, shotgunner, freedoomguy, etc..... they should be slimmer in the side anims imo, thought it is very minor gripe. fist needs entirely reworked to have no glove and come from the bottom of the screen. manc-blob needs more.... definition? the design itself is ok, it just doesnt have the details that other sprites have. but i really like the lavamander-manc Korp posted in other thread. and i think the boss brothers have got to go. every time i see them i have flashbacks of Marathon and i cut myself to dull the pain. but if i am advocating for working lavamander into manc replacement, then what am i advocating the boss brothers get changed to? i dunno.

i just realized the boots are fixed in the newer git build

Edited by RagnarRandom

On 4/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, raymoohawk said:

another quick mock up, trying to figure out how the imp would look like with articulated tentacles

trooa1mockupcentaurpede.png.eb00efd0648596c1fecc342b47fc5990.pngmockupcentauralien.png.44aa028f9b8266302363c4930ae2a33d.pngmockupcentauralien2.png

I feel like by making it a centaur, it now looks like a much stronger enemy. And i really doubt the centaur-like appearance would work with the alien/insect theme the project currently has. 

did not consider that, it would probably look like its faster than an imp should be too

i still think it would be good for the imp and demon to have different ways of walking. would a snail like muscular foot for the imp be too silly?

threw together a quick mock up of a possible pistol and shotgun guy rework. edited from the curent zombie and from fredrik's shotgun guy.

283988893_zombiesconcepts.png.6e3f50d6cb3dee93abc929a4b090fa03.png

Edited by raymoohawk

On 4/13/2022 at 2:51 AM, raymoohawk said:

The reason of because it was not added is partly because me, it's a nice monsters and the sprites are good, but for me it dont fit as revenant, look at this, he has metal plates and is beef as hell and die to 1 and half ssg shot, die easier than a cacodemon it does not make sense for me for he being and juggernaut and die so easy.

i see, do you think a rework could fit in blasphemer or zauberer?

also would it be a bad idea if i tried to edit the zombies?

Edited by raymoohawk

the pr for the version of octo edited by HorrorMovieGuy says there are conflicts, but last activity was 10 days ago, including what appears to be preliminary updating of the entry to manual. i am assuming it is gonna happen, just hasn't been merged for whatever reason. i am not too hip to the intricacies of github tho.

i am still all for turning the manc-fleshslime or whatev into the lavamander edit. it looks so cool.

also, what about replacing the ss officer (spanish sailor) with an actual enemy and put it in freedoom levels? is there some reason why this would break use for playing community wads?

but i am a player of freedoom, not a contributor.

Edited by RagnarRandom