Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thelokk

[Community Project] "Gorehounds of Doom"

9 hours ago, CBM said:

How did you manage to make this effect?

also

How did you make the animated gif?

More or less what @SirPootis said, with the exception that I joined the glowing sectors to some control sectors with 0 brightness sectors attached, so that the glow goes from 0 to 255 instead of 128 (the darkest adjacent sector without the control sector) to 255 - Light glow takes the darkest adjacent sector as the minimum glow down to point with the brightness of the sector itself as the max lighting to reach. The bigger the number difference between the two, the slower the glow, smaller difference = faster glow.

As for the gif, I'm afraid I used the adobe suite as I have a student licence so it might not be helpful if you don't have access to adobe products and I'm sure there is probably an easier way of doing it - but I recorded a video then imported it into Adobe After Effects where I then cropped the video to a gif-able length, exported to render queue, render as a png image sequence (individual image for each frame), open Adobe Photoshop, import, tick image sequence box while importing first image of sequence, export for web legacy, tinker with gif settings, export gif.

@RastaManGames I like the chaingunner coming out of the deep fat fryer :)

34 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Oh... I guess that uncle Baron gonna sit up in his red room no matter what.

I mean, I reserved him to be the special one that can open exit for player after tough battle.
Additional binding of that special action to Knight or Ravenant gonna break map if someone gonna just avoid them entirely.

UPD:

RMG-SweetTremorV3.zip

Perfection!

Except for some cases where ammo and weapons dropped by enemies can't be picked up

(shotgunner on ledge and spawning in zombieman when in the cargo bay)

also maybe add a medikit on easy difficulty to the red room since a baron of hell is a pretty tough enemy

On 4/18/2022 at 12:36 AM, CBM said:

maybe add a medikit on easy difficulty to the red room since a baron of hell is a pretty tough enemy

Let see... Additional stimpack for medium and medkit for easy difficulty gonna be fair? (. )(. )

As for hard... I think that Doomguy is hardboiled enough to make it only with few health bonuses!

RMG-SweetTremorV4.zip

Edited by RastaManGames : V4 -> V5

21 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Let see... Additional stimpack for medium and medkit for easy difficulty gonna be fair? (. )(. )

As for hard... I think that Doomguy is hardboiled enough to make it only with few health bonuses!

RMG-SweetTremorV4.zip

Cool

I messed around with texture pack today, I found theme I'll be sticking with as map will progress around... here's start - quite innocent as usually:

doom49.png 

@Thelokk I made a config file with texture sets for RFHelltex.

I think people will find it useful.

Screenshot of what it does:

Spoiler

image.png.54341ba0f5e30a3eff460083a5dce93f.png

File:

rfhelltex config.rar

Comments / Observations welcome

Edited by PeceMan

5 hours ago, PeceMan said:

@Thelokk I made a config file with texture sets for RFHelltex.

I think people will find it useful.

Screenshot of what it does:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.54341ba0f5e30a3eff460083a5dce93f.png

File:

rfhelltex config.rar

Comments / Observations welcome

Awesome! Linked in OP.

While we're at it, little side note: if you made contributions to the resources, technical hullabaloo etc. I ask that you remind me when beta time comes around so I can properly credit you. 

7 hours ago, Misty said:

I messed around with texture pack today, I found theme I'll be sticking with as map will progress around... here's start - quite innocent as usually:

doom49.png 

Nothing under the sun as innocent as an open fire in a techbase XD

What I got so far is, err.. an apartment-buidling-gone-noneuclidean-fleshvoid!

Gonna be going into surgery tomorrow so I'll be working on this for the next few days while I recover, here's hoping the effects of the anesthetic will help make things weirder.

Spoiler

hjKMtVW.png

FAqSHCz.png

SK8LGKN.png

fHNzMLy.png

2 minutes ago, kwc said:

What I got so far is, err.. an apartment-buidling-gone-noneuclidean-fleshvoid!

Gonna be going into surgery tomorrow so I'll be working on this for the next few days while I recover, here's hoping the effects of the anesthetic will help make things weirder.

Hide contents

hjKMtVW.png

FAqSHCz.png

SK8LGKN.png

fHNzMLy.png

Looking tight! Jeebs, Doomguy's shells must be uranium-laden to resist a non-euclidean gravity flip.

Good luck on surgery! 

goddam I wish I could've participated! This seems like such great fun for someone just wanting to get into CPs! Good luck to all the mappers, I can't wait for this one to be out!

2 minutes ago, PrismaticFrog said:

goddam I wish I could've participated! This seems like such great fun for someone just wanting to get into CPs! Good luck to all the mappers, I can't wait for this one to be out!

I can put you on a waitlist if you want. There's still plenty of time before any deadline and it's not unlikely one or two spots might be relinquished.

1 minute ago, Thelokk said:

I can put you on a waitlist if you want. There's still plenty of time before any deadline and it's not unlikely one or two spots might be relinquished.

Sure, sounds great. Thank you!

Will you add some custom decorative sprites? I heard mbf21 can use extended dehacked with lots of sprite space, it would be nice to have some hellish stuff besides what iwad provides. 

@RastaManGames

How did you do the scripting for example, with the spikes and the chaingunner that emerged?

How did the voodoo dolls and monster closets work?

btw. I just played v4 and it is awesome! And if I enable jumping then I can 100% the items

Edited by CBM

29 minutes ago, Misty said:

Will you add some custom decorative sprites? I heard mbf21 can use extended dehacked with lots of sprite space, it would be nice to have some hellish stuff besides what iwad provides. 

Not planning to, aside from the texture pack I'd like to keep things as simple as possible and really push people to be inventive without relying on the 'crutch' of too many resources.

If someone takes it upon themselves to compile custom decorations and they really kick ass I might, of course, change my mind. Been only a few days and the group has plenty surprised me already, after all. 

Edited by Thelokk

11 minutes ago, CBM said:

@RastaManGames

How did you do the scripting for example, with the spikes and the chaingunner that emerged?

How did the voodoo dolls and monster closets work?

For raising "screamers" and heavy weapon dude it was just one line with generalized effect of raising floor that uses turbo speed.

As for "scripted sequence" - yes, there was two conveyor belts with voodoo dolls (one for cutscene and another for forcefield (that was really painful to made).

After one activation, suppressing barrier on conveyor belt is lowering very fast and then voodoo doll just activating many various lines by W1/WR activators.

To be honest, I used conveyor belt only once and that was in "Doom-In-Hexen" map format. I always wanted to try that trickery on something like MBF21.

Be noticed, that 2nd placed "Player Start 1" gonna be main for the game, so you may need to swap them to proper work.

"Monster closets" is just dull and boring sector on the very big distance from the playable area (so player not gonna hear all angry roaring and ranting), connected via small & hidden tunnel (so they all gonna wake up after first shots fired).

There is also various suppressing barriers combined with impassable lines, so baddies gonna be prepared & ready to run into teleports.

Be noticed, that for active "monster closet" you gonna force player for noise making. Usual way is door, that locked via button with G1/GR activator. I used more abnormal way with blocking path with explosive barrels.

If there is need in that, I can make a small example map with these tricks.

5 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

For raising "screamers" and heavy weapon dude it was just one line with generalized effect of raising floor that uses turbo speed.

As for "scripted sequence" - yes, there was two conveyor belts with voodoo dolls (one for cutscene and another for forcefield (that was really painful to made).

After one activation, suppressing barrier on conveyor belt is lowering very fast and then voodoo doll just activating many various lines by W1/WR activators.

To be honest, I used conveyor belt only once and that was in "Doom-In-Hexen" map format. I always wanted to try that trickery on something like MBF21.

Be noticed, that 2nd placed "Player Start 1" gonna be main for the game, so you may need to swap them to proper work.

"Monster closets" is just dull and boring sector on the very big distance from the playable area (so player not gonna hear all angry roaring and ranting), connected via small & hidden tunnel (so they all gonna wake up after first shots fired).

There is also various suppressing barriers combined with impassable lines, so baddies gonna be prepared & ready to run into teleports.

Be noticed, that for active "monster closet" you gonna force player for noise making. Usual way is door, that locked via button with G1/GR activator. I used more abnormal way with blocking path with explosive barrels.

If there is need in that, I can make a small example map with these tricks.

I would love a small example map that displays all the doom mapping tricks that you know!

Btw. have you made other levels that you can recommend to me? I really liked your entry for this CP and I want to play more of your maps!

2 hours ago, CBM said:

I would love a small example map that displays all the doom mapping tricks that you know!

Btw. have you made other levels that you can recommend to me? I really liked your entry for this CP and I want to play more of your maps!

Here ya go, mate: RMG_EXMP.zip

Inside you gonna find several rooms:

1) Usual skybox that can be placed around map as backdrop.

2) Deep water with "screamer" and enemy that is rising from below.

3) Light that can be only on floor or ceiling.

4) Combined conveyor belt and openable forcefield.

5) Sectors inside of wall that not breaks upper/lower textures.

6) Monster closet behind big wall.

As for some of my works... I have some old maps, but if you want recent ones - check out section "about me" in my profile.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. It'll be a candy store of various Doomworlders' fears mixed with blood and gore for good measure

Edited by Thirteened_Candles

@RastaManGames Played through version 4 of Sweet Tremor on UV in DSDA Doom (-complevel 21). Here's my FDA: swt_trmr_v4.zip. I also played on HMP and HNTR, though I didn't record those.

Overall, the map is nicely atmospheric, and the texturing/lighting are on point. The combat takes a back seat here and has minimal punch, which tunes down the fear factor for me, but I think ambiance still makes this map a great fit for the project.

A few observations about my playthroughs:

• The occasional teleporting shotgunners felt a bit cheap combat-wise, namely in the blue key room and the cafeteria. I think this sudden appearance could crank up the fear factor, but it didn't quite land for me.
  • The megaarmor secret strikes me as cryptic, as you access it by pressing on an unmarked wall. I liked the chainsaw secret much better.
  • The dormitories have just enough variety to keep them from getting boring. Nice work.
  • It's odd too me that the red door is shrouded in darkness, despite having a light shining directly on it.
  • The blood dripping from the ceiling by the red door is a nice visual element, though it looks paper-thin right now, which takes away from the effect for me. Adding a few more lines here to make the bloodflows look more substantial could help the looks.
  • The lift behind the red door is a little weird: the button has a small sector jutting out in front of it, which makes the lift snap back down immediately after rising if I am pressed against the wall while riding it. I'm not sure why this little lip is present on the switch.
  • There are some small HOM's visible on the walls around the laser fence in front of the revenant.
  • On HMP, there are a couple revenants that replace hell knights from UV. I'd reconsider this choice, as the more offensively powerful revenant can easily pose more threat than a hell knight.
  • When blowing open the door in the tank room, it seems very possible that a player will hit the switch, then try to open the door, then get blown to pieces by the teleporting barrels. If this possibility is not intentional, you may want to speed up the arrival of the explosion.
  • It is very doable to avoid dying at the end of the level by shooting the Romero head then running out of the room. Placing a voodoo doll out by the exploding barrels should make it impossible for the player to survive.

A nice entry that could serve as a great opener: inviting in the combat department, but firmly setting up the spooky tone.

@Large Cat Thanks for expanded review of my submission!

Made a small update with various changes/additions:

(*) Tweaked a bit secret area with blue armor, so it may be more easier to find.
(*) Swapped out knights and ravenants due to high aggressiveness of last.
(*) Visually updated bloodfalls on the hub area.
(*) Visually updated lighting on red locked door.
(*) Visually updated personal lift on the storage area.
(*) Speeded up "scripted" explosions a bit, so player not gonna have bad time with them.
(*) Made "Doom" of player unavoidable.

(File was removed to resolve some space on my DW account...)

Edited by RastaManGames

9 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

RMG-SweetTremorV5.zip

Your level is pretty cool. The atmosphere is built pretty well.

There are some technical tricks which I think you could use.

Here's a short map which uses some of the useful tricks: Jumpscare build.rar

In this map there are 3 ways to trigger a jumpscare:

- Walk towards the blue key

- Walk towards the red key

- Shoot

The tricks I used were:

1. The join sectors tool (Keyboard shortcut "J") can be really useful, when used with sectors that aren't actually placed together.

- You can use it to remove the sound of doors, because the sound is usually played in only one of the corners of the door sector. (This might only work in DSDA doom, GZDoom fixes this)

- You can trigger enemies with sound without having to place a mini-pathway sector joining the teleporter closet, since sound travels within what the game considers to be the same sector

- You can set up "next floor", "next ceiling", and "lowest ceiling" actions, which will be used for the next trick

2. "Floor lower to lowest ceiling" action, but the lowest ceiling is actually higher than the current floor height. This makes the floor raise instantly, which is very useful for jumpscares.

3. Silent teleports. Pretty useful.

- Great for jumpscares

- You can actually use them for player movement, connecting separate spaces seemlessly.

4. Line Action 252. It also has a bunch of uses.

7 minutes ago, CBM said:

@RastaManGames

@PeceMan

I can't seem to get monster closets working... I don't know what I am doing wrong

flesh.wad

The pinkies are set to ambush only, but also the closet is put in a spot where they may not run over the linedef to teleport. If you move the closet to the right of the entire map they will run towards the linedef consistently.

Hey folks, here's what I got so far. A bit messy in some places, and incomplete/unbeatable at this point.
Looking for general feedback and possible softlocks. Readme included with a bit more info.

Some Screenies that don't really reveal much:

Spoiler

yJbvcyn.png

DnapTLe.png

EnnBe3A.png

afYGL7j.png

uax1bNJ.png

KWC_WNDW_V01.zip
MIDI: Quake/NIN - Parallel_Dimensions
Sequenced by Jay Reichard (silentzorah)
Some arrangement and patch edits by myself

8 minutes ago, kwc said:

Hey folks, here's what I got so far. A bit messy in some places, and incomplete/unbeatable at this point.
Looking for general feedback and possible softlocks. Readme included with a bit more info.

Some Screenies that don't really reveal much:

Hide contents

yJbvcyn.png

DnapTLe.png

EnnBe3A.png

afYGL7j.png

uax1bNJ.png

KWC_WNDW_V01.zip
MIDI: Quake/NIN - Parallel_Dimensions
Sequenced by Jay Reichard (silentzorah)
Some arrangement and patch edits by myself

Will wait for a 'beatable' version to do a YT playthrough, but I dig what you got so far. Looks like the project is brightening up the 'evil doomcute' vein of a lot of mappers! I really dig the silent teleporter tricks, and the pinkies ambushes are probably not very fair but very jumpscary :D I like 'em. The transition from 'realistic' to flesh hell, and then... sort of back again works as well. Very good start, looking forward to the first fully playable version!