Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gore

What do you think of Doom content? (Youtube).

Whilst I no longer watch his stuff regularly, IcarusLIVES was one of the first retro-shooty-bang-bang-themed channels I found back after DUSK got me back on the wagon. Mod coverage in short, easily-digestible chunks was exactly what I needed at the time.

Nowadays I prefer more indepth looks at maps, so @Doomkid and Coincident are on regular rotation. Doomkid just exudes affection for the game in all its forms: it's genuinely a delight to hear someone with such a wealth of knowledge on a subject highlight the things which make that subject wonderful. The fact that he's super chill (i.e.: the anti-YouTuber) also resonates with me.

And Coincident's just someone I really enjoy watching play classic Doom. Not a huge fan of the gimmicky "chat challenges", but his Going Down and Sunlust runs opened my eyes to what Really Way Above My Skill Level looks like.

Conversely, I don't find myself watching many of decino's runs at all; though his archaeological analysis vids are an absolute treasure for not just the Doom community, but all of gaming.

I'm not actually a huge fan of @MtPain27, although that's more due to the format: he rips through map discussion at a rate that... it's just not my thing. I get that he doesn't want every video to go for three hours, and on some maps he's just plain not going to have a lot to say, but the 3 Heures d'Agonie vid highlighted what I like least about this style. I really do enjoy his casual DM chats with Doomkid, though, and his longform essay on Mucus Flow was sublime.

And shoutouts of course to @Jimmy, @DavidN and @Chubzdoomer for the mapping help and encouragement (thanks for reminding me of the latter @Snark!).

In terms of Purely Doom content, I mostly just enjoy Dean of Doom. I'm not really a fan of Let's Play content for the most part - most of my youtube subscriptions are Video Essay type content. That said I don't mind when Decino does blind runs of maps I've enjoyed. His normal videos aren't my cup of tea though.

It's not strictly doom related, but Errant Signal's Children of Doom series has been fantastic - basically a history of the fps genre starting before Wolfenstein and chronicling up to now. He looks at an important game from a given year, goes in depth about it, and then mentions what else is happening in the fps space. I've really enjoyed it.

One Doom channel I'm not really a fan of is FP. Not only does he not know what he's talking about half the time, he's also just so overly negative and cynical about everything. Watching his videos leaves a sour taste in my mouth more often than not - although his recent content seems to be getting a little better in that regard.

9 minutes ago, whybmonotacrab said:

One Doom channel I'm not really a fan of is FP. Not only does he not know what he's talking about half the time, he's also just so overly negative and cynical about everything. Watching his videos leaves a sour taste in my mouth more often than not - although his recent content seems to be getting a little better in that regard.

Oh you mean the guy who just uploaded a video with a thumbnail: SLAUGHTER MAPS ARE BORING? :P

24 minutes ago, sandwedge said:

Oh you mean the guy who just uploaded a video with a thumbnail: SLAUGHTER MAPS ARE BORING? :P

Yup. He's almost exclusively basing this off the levels he played in Alien Vendetta too, he doesn't seem to have played anything new. 

35 minutes ago, whybmonotacrab said:

It's not strictly doom related, but Errant Signal's Children of Doom series has been fantastic - basically a history of the fps genre starting before Wolfenstein and chronicling up to now. He looks at an important game from a given year, goes in depth about it, and then mentions what else is happening in the fps space. I've really enjoyed it.

I also love Children of Doom, and Errant Signal's output in general. Easily seconding this if anyone's looking for musings on Doom (and Doom's precursors and offspring) that don't come from someone who is a part of the general Doom Circle on Youtube.

4 minutes ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Yup. He's almost exclusively basing this off the levels he played in Alien Vendetta too, he doesn't seem to have played anything new. 

Well I guess that's the advantage of sticking to one game or a few games where you have expertise, you don't make mistakes like these.  I've only played like 2 beginner slaughter wads and a handful of maps and even I knew that what he was saying didn't make sense - slaughter just about spamming monsters without any strategy?  It's like all about strategy!  They're basically combat puzzles!  I haven't played Alien Vendetta but it's from 2001 so I imagine things have progressed a bit since then :P  What he should have said was, slaughter IN alien vendetta is boring, or ya know make an alien vendetta review, but that would be a less sensational title.

I don't really totally dislike channels for doing that though, it can still be an interesting viewpoint.  I mean, I maybe learned a little bit about Alien Vendetta from it, which I'm right next to in the skill improvement thread, so hey.

3 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

We should kick Alien Vendetta out of "Beginner's Slaughterwad" roster and replace it with Rush instead. :)

Well the skill improvement thread has Rush as the intro slaughter wad which I thought was perfect, and that's the best resource I've found for a good difficulty curve.  But there's an argument for putting micro slaughter in there before alien vendetta now, I imagine.

Shoutouts to LY203 productions. They do silent playthroughs of doom, but hey, they at least act as a guide sorta on how to get to the secrets in some PWADs.

Between Doom content not in youtube and Doom content in youtube, Doom content in youtube is my favorite Doom content in Youtube.

I feel like there's a lot of good channels like Decino, Dwars, Doomkid, MtPain, aquarius199, a lot of speedrunners and others, but I really don't like some channels that focus a lot on modded content only such as Brutal Doom and Russian Overkill... I know, not a fresh take whatsoever, but that seems to be pretty huge in the Doom circles of hell in that site.

Shoutout to PieceOfPieSoftware, too, I Watched a ton of Paul's Gaming of Doom 3 way back.

While coverage of Classic Doom has been experiencing some significant growth on YouTube, I'd love to see more channels talking at length about all the CURRENT cool stuff the community's managed to produce. We've got plenty of people talking about the past but not enough talking about what's going on today! The last two years alone have been absolutely explosive for Doom both creatively and technologically and I think the world outside should hear more about what the community has managed to achieve recently that keeps the game thriving and in the public consciousness.

Dean, Decino Shorts, Civvie. 

I hate letsplay content, even though I respect the artistry. It just feels so vacant as a product though, from my end. I tend to avoid Gman when he talks about anything related to doom, or anything at all. Though that comes down more to taste, he tends to know what he's talking about. Chubzdoomer very rarely, I love his presentation but just don't have a reason to watch his work. I'd love to see him do a bit more types of things.

I don't consistently watch any youtuber in general (with the exception of Terrible Writing Advice). I just watch Decino's technical videos when people post it on Facebook, or just hop into Mr Icarus channel when I want to check a mod before playing it.

I once watched an entire video of The Midnight. It was a very memorable experience because after I finished it, I was so physically disgusted I had to take a shower. Nowadays I only hear of him when Doom Twitter freaks out because he was once again caught stealing the content of other youtubers.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

While coverage of Classic Doom has been experiencing some significant growth on YouTube, I'd love to see more channels talking at length about all the CURRENT cool stuff the community's managed to produce. We've got plenty of people talking about the past but not enough talking about what's going on today! The last two years alone have been absolutely explosive for Doom both creatively and technologically and I think the world outside should hear more about what the community has managed to achieve recently that keeps the game thriving and in the public consciousness.

Honestly that applies to the forums too. Most people will just sit around and hope for a very limited number of people to do everything. A lot of modern "discourse" on the forums is people hoping and simping for Cacoward shout-outs for their favorite wads, like it's some sports league, and then having riots afterwards when they don't "win" lmao, which is really bad. Because there is nothing stopping anyone from writing cool posts themselves. The review thread I started in W&M, and threads like these, have gone underused. Sadly there are not a lot of people talking about the past two years period. 

While they aren't reviews, there's a great channel simply called "Doom Wads" that has been around for a while and is currently focused on doing weekly round-ups of brand new Doom content:

Not sure why channels in this vein aren't more common. A great excuse to play lots of fun and new Doomy stuff.

I'm seeing a ton of wonderful mentions on this thread, though have yet to see this one, so I'll mention it here; Retro Ahoy! That channel has a plethora of retrospectives and in depth analysis for gaming, but it's the videos on Doom (as well as Wolfenstein and Quake) that really got me hooked...plus there's something about Stuart Brown's narration that's almost akin to its own kind of ASMR lol.

11 hours ago, Jaccident said:

Big fan of Dean of Doom, although I have to avoid most of his episodes because they're on wads I want to play at some point. Coincident is good fun, although Youtube doesn't recommend me his stuff much which is a pain. I like Decino's analysis videos, and the videos where you get to see more of his actual live reactions, but I can't say I'm a fan of his main content where you watch him beat a map. His Italo-doom videos strike a good balance imo. Doomkid's videos are also really great, its just a shame I've watched them all. Jimmy's youtube channel is one I don't see discussed much which is a shame, I love his wad overview videos, you can tell he's really passionate about the wads he reviews and the reviews are really well written as a result.

NuDoom content on youtube is much less my speed, however. I appreciate UnderTheMayo for the consistency of his reviews, even if he seems to dislike games that try for any kind of narrative instead of just going for pure gameplay, and his doom eternal videos are brilliant for anyone looking to really dig into the game's mechanics. I'm still surprised he hated ULTRAKILL, though. The rest of the NuDoom community just confuses me, I don't see the appeal of most of the videos there.

Oh yeah, Midnight is a clickbaity hack and should delete his channel.

You mention Mt Pain27 and Coincident
I see thou art a fellow man of class

Hi I'm Mister unoriginality, I watch decino, mtpain27 and Coincident!

I make some Doom videos too but they're just straight forward playthroughs I make with friends watching and supplying commentary. 

I think Jimmy's Wad Overviews don't get the views they deserve. I watched his video on Jenesis at least 20 times at this point, and while it's not even really my style of Doom, it's been a huge motivation for me to work on my own stuff. Something about developers talking about their own work is always incredibly interesting to me.

27 minutes ago, Yumheart said:

I think Jimmy's Wad Overviews don't get the views they deserve. I watched his video on Jenesis at least 20 times at this point, and while it's not even really my style of Doom, it's been a huge motivation for me to work on my own stuff. Something about developers talking about their own work is always incredibly interesting to me.

Yes, seeing how wads were developed is always very fun. Another reason that I like to scroll through Megawad Club, just to see what authors think of the maps.

I enjoy all the channels mentioned here,  one that I don't see mentioned to often is pagb666, if its a FPS he's probably done it, I also do videos myself sometimes commentated sometimes not,  some vanilla doom, but more of an emphasis on console doom like Psx or Doom 64

There's no Doom content creators on YouTube that I like, not for Classic Doom or for Modern Doom

I really like this series of videos about how to use the Eureka editor by Kris Occhipinti. And I enjoy Doomkid's videos and decino's analysis videos.

@LadyMistDragon beat me to the punch: Gaming Gargoyle’s videos are absolutely delightful, creative, and hilarious. Gives me flashbacks to Dasboschit’s “Gmod Idiot Box”, so much so that I’ve heard his stuff lovingly referred to as “GZdoom Idiot Box”.