Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frost-Core

Episode 1 is the best DOOM Episode : CHANGE MY MIND!

Is Episode 1 Absolutely Epic?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Is it?

• Yes!
    • No i like the other episodes more.

When id Software released DOOM, they released it through the shareware model meaning that you only had one episode, once you beat it you need to buy the game through phone call and then get it in your mail box, however, because the shareware version was so good, people kept playing that over and over again, this is because, its great!

Why DOOM's Episode 1 is Great

First of all, the kind people at id Software gave it for absolutely free, and it can be distributable, and ever since it has stayed on ftps of many linux distributions lying there.

Level Design

The levels were made by John Romero and Tom Hall (who later left id), which is why they are so good, the best thing about it is that the first episode demonstrates the entire features of the engine, stairs, heights, etc... levels were long and fun and quite challenging over time, this is why E1M1 is easier than say E1M8.

Music

One of the big aspects of doom is its music, a game without music isnt a game, its just boring, the player gets hyped up with music tracks, Bobby Prince (or Robert Prince) is the composer, now if you dont agree you are wrong, these tracks are so freaking awesome!

Enemy Placment In Maps

Episode 1 tries to be easy, because its literally like the first level set you get when you play the game for the first time, enemies that are there include :

Zombiemen

Shotgunners

Imps

Pinkies

and most importantly, Barons

Conclusion

DOOM is really great, it tries to showcase hard effort, DOOM took longer that Wolfenstien 3-D to make, and with new things with the engine the developers could unleash their potential, and that what they did!, they created the first level set for the game and its level influenced gaming history.

Nah, Episode 2 is better, while it's combat is not doom 1's best it is better than alot of episodes 3 and 4. It is also quite interesting aesthetically, showing how corrupted the Deimos base is becoming. (And DIEmos joke haha) It also introduces the rest of the doom 1 bestiary (excluding the spidermastermind of course) and the plasma rifle. AND, it uses imo better songs than episode 1 (Sinister being my favourite) It just hits the sweet spot in between a techbase and hell (hellish techbase). 

Just now, Codename_Delta said:

Nah, Episode 2 is better, while it's combat is not doom 1's best it is better than alot of episodes 3 and 4. It is also quite interesting aesthetically, showing how corrupted the Deimos base is becoming. (And DIEmos joke haha) It also introduces the rest of the doom 1 bestiary (excluding the spidermastermind of course) and the plasma rifle. AND, it uses imo better songs than episode 1 (Sinister being my favourite) It just hits the sweet spot in between a techbase and hell (hellish techbase). 

While you are right, episode 1 is still a gaming legend to this day, and it has to stay like that.

15 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

While you are right, episode 1 is still a gaming legend to this day, and it has to stay like that.

While you are right, episode 2 is still more interesting for me to this day, and it will always stay like that.

tbh i thought EP1 was harder than a lot of EP2/3 esp on +FAST.  This is mainly due too more shotgunners and not having plasma/bfg.

Nothing beats E2M1, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6 and E2M7. I do enjoy E1 but E2 is just better in my opinion, from the overall (very basic but charming) texturing to the combat, just the Berserker pack alone is the best selling point of E2.

i like the episodes with archviles more, sorry

That isn't really much of a unpopular opinion, really. Episode 1 was mostly Romero and I still think he's a great level designer, despite me not liking Sigil as much as I wanted to. The reason I don't really like Episode 2 and 3 as much is that I don't really like Sandy's maps as much as Romero's. I respect Sandy's use of gimmicks, but a lot of them don't work or just aren't fun ( looking at you, unholy cathedral). I'm not saying all his maps are bad. E2M1 and E2M2 are great maps, as well as E3M6. I love E3M6. A part of me wished that they hadn't unloaded so many maps on Sandy, and Tom Hall didn't leave. E1M4 is a great map.

Sorry for the long wall of text, heh.  

E4 is the best because of the first 2 maps.

Doom 1 is IMO probably the greatest game of all-time, but Doom 2 is much more entertaining, even if the maps can be incoherent at points.

e1m10 exists so... no

(despite that it's not official, it's still a doom map)

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

Music

One of the big aspects of doom is its music, a game without music isnt a game, its just boring, the player gets hyped up with music tracks, Bobby Prince (or Robert Prince) is the composer, now if you dont agree you are wrong, these tracks are so freaking awesome!

episode 2 had better music from the opening track intro to the last map's outro episode 2 has way better music:

Spoiler

track01: it fits the map like a golve where as in e1m1 that track you could put literally anywhere on the episode one map list

track02: its an atmospheric synth track with well choreographed drums its a great listen and fits the map very well despite being used more than once in game

track03: we do not adress this track or the map for that matter....

track04: the quire and the overall tone of this hymn is rather intoxicating

track05: the suspense within this haunting track is real

track06: walts of the demons starts off like something you would hear in an action movie oprea music that dwells into action with a touch xylophone 

track08: it's almost freebird like organ with a glare of bobby prince synth makes it a great track to listen to and fits the map better

but we all know episode2's music cant beat sigil 

Debate Sam Seder, You Cowerrd! :P

Joking aside, I am not sure if Knee-Deep In The Dead is the best episode since it is a bit too much on the easy side and it lacks the Berserk pack as well as higher-tier weaponry. However, it is easily my favourite episode due to the setting, the music and the memorable levels. 

You could make the argument that other episodes laid the foundations for more of modern doom mapping, especially episode 4, but there is something to be said for how well Romero's maps flow, they're usually designed really well (in this episode). Still, I'm a massive fan of Sigil so I'll have to go with that instead.

While I've learned to like E2 and E3 just fine (at first I didn't, and couldn't stand playing them), I still prefer E1 and E4. 

My fav episode is ep 4 because I really liked the frenetic and difficult combat, I also liked how it looks aesthetically.

I can understand that ep1 is someone favorite but ep2 and ep3?... I find it hard to understand, those episodes have a lot of bad and boring levels in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, El juancho said:

My fav episode is ep 4 because I really liked the frenetic and difficult combat, I also liked how it looks aesthetically.

I can understand that ep1 is someone favorite but ep2 and ep3?... I find it hard to understand, those episodes have a lot of bad and boring levels in my opinion.

Episode 2 is at least decent.

Why do you want us to change your opinion?

Anyway, e1 is probably my least favorite by a wide margin, as I find the (now generic) techbase aesthetic to be boring as hell. The gameplay itself is also simple to the point where I don't have much fun replaying it, and the only song I like is e1m2.

It's legendary, sure, but we'd all likely be saying the same thing about TSoH if it was placed as e1 instead of KDitD.

not a big fan of episode 2 and episode 3. maybe im just really bad at pathfinding but the maps there are like mazes

I love episode 1's theme. Also, E2M2. I never cared about Earth, hell, etc.

It's all subjective stuff, obviously. I think the best way to put it is that E2's best maps are better than E1's best maps, but E2's worst maps are generally worse than E1's worst maps. Personally, I prefer E1 over E2, but there are a lot of good reasons for choosing E2 over E1 though.

With that being said, Sigil is still cooler and more fun than both. Fight me.

4 minutes ago, BigMetalhead said:

It's all subjective stuff, obviously. I think the best way to put it is that E2's best maps are better than E1's best maps, but E2's worst maps are generally worse than E1's worst maps. Personally, I prefer E1 over E2, but there are a lot of good reasons for choosing E2 over E1 though.

With that being said, Sigil is still cooler and more fun than both. Fight me.

obligatory No Rest For The Living comment.

4 hours ago, gwain said:

episode 2 had better music from the opening track intro to the last map's outro episode 2 has way better music:

The E2M1 music is probably one of my favorite tracks, very memorable and fun sounding to me.

Firstly, let's be more specific. Best episode of what exactly? Best episode of OG Doom? Best episode of id's Doom releases? Best episode of commercial Doom? Best episode of all the Doom that has ever doomed? From the question it really sounds like you're asking about the first Doom but some comments talk about other iwads..

• Of OG Doom? Yes
  • Of any iwad? Nah
  • Including pwads? Noooooooooope

It was the shareware episode, I think they put the most effort into it.

Just now, HrnekBezucha said:

Firstly, let's be more specific. Best episode of what exactly? Best episode of OG Doom? Best episode of id's Doom releases? Best episode of commercial Doom? Best episode of all the Doom that has ever doomed? From the question it really sounds like you're asking about the first Doom but some comments talk about other iwads..

• Of OG Doom? Yes
  • Of any iwad? Nah
  • Including pwads? Noooooooooope

It was the shareware episode, I think they put the most effort into it.

og doom.

also if we were talking about freedoom i wish double impact becomes episode 1