Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Not Jabba's Not the Cacowards Review Corner (rd reviews The Iron Forge)

On 12/16/2021 at 3:21 AM, rd. said:

Stuff

Great writeup! Up until now, I had no interest in playing the set, having simply written it off as an excerise in one-note gimmickry. However, through evocative abstract description, incisive examination of the specifics and a boatload (heh) of quirky humour, this piece has convinced me to give Boaty McBoatwad a go.

In particular, the segment about the set's tonal and thematic range within the greater nautical context really grabbed my attention, since the potential for such variety is among the greatest strengths of the CP format, and its presence is usually an indicator of broader virtue. The section is especially well written and evocative, playing host to the single passage that sold me on the wad:

[snip] Boaty McBoatwad feels as much like a megawad about nautical associations -- like the crushing melancholy of the ocean, the silly boisterousness of pirates, the soothing coziness of your own personal getaway -- as it is about boats as an object of craft.

Each of those descriptions calls to mind a powerful complex of images and feelings, while their casual specificity implies a greater range beyond, which serves to stoke one's curiosty. This kind of exploration of a variety of sub-themes calls to mind another sea-related CP from this same year: Ray Mohawk 2, which is one of my favourite releases of the annum for just this reason. Few things invite further exploration quite the chance to experience another mind's take a predefined theme, hence my endless fascination with Ultimate Doom-derived content.

Beyond this high-level description, I also fond the sections detailling the craft behind the ships themselves, as well as the set's surprisingly strong gameplay, to be very compelling from a pitch perspective, as well as a technical one. It would be so easy to spin a rhaposody of vibes, and cover the more mundane components of quality with a simple gesture of "'tis good". Instead, we readers are entreated to an informative examination of the specifics, broad enough to be concise yet specific enough with its examples to give one a practical understanding of what to expect.

All in all, this piece is a great pitch, and a fun read to boot. Never thought I'd be so stoked to try a silly boat wad, yet here we are. Now, if you'll excuse me, the seas are calling...

5 hours ago, Omniarch said:

All in all, this piece is a great pitch, and a fun read to boot. Never thought I'd be so stoked to try a silly boat wad, yet here we are. Now, if you'll excuse me, the seas are calling...

Glad you decided to give it a spin. It's such a great mapset! I love all the totally different approaches to the theme.

Arch-tek would definitely have been a personal Cacoward pick. Unfortunately, I only had the time for the first map because of how many other new wads were coming out at the same time, almost all of them having something unique or worthy of attention. But Romsu's use of architecture is quite simply impossible to put down, if not to everyone's taste.

19 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

I love these. TNT2 was unfinished within the cycle, without a proper map26, so it'll be a 2023 cycle release.  

Thanks for letting me (and other readers) know. I think I'm going to edit the list and sync up with you all on that point, because otherwise it would create a discrepancy in a future year as well. I had really wanted my top Silver pick to get Gold anyway -- it only lost the spot at the last minute when KDiKDiZD was released.

Really nice list here, I appreciate Ozonia being in the Gold section, haven't heard a lot of buzz around it since its release, but its one of my favorites this year as well.

Kinda saddened you managed to dodge every single one of the 60+ maps I released on DW this year alone but, hey, such is life. Better luck next year. 

Didn't expect that Caffeine Injection got into golden list and seeing Divergence in honor list, somewhat it feels like I already won some hearts and that's fine by me. I wasn't even sure if people remember and care, since some time passed after I pushed both projects into idgames archives and many more promising and great projects in forum got released. 

Happy to see Heaven Stroll in the silver list :)

Bellatrix is really good concerning vanilla natural outdoors filled with doomcute. 

Honored to make your honor roll :) There is some phenomenal content on this list, the only thing that sucks about being a Doom fan right now is not having enough time for this absolute gluttony of quality stuff. 

Happy to see DBK02 get a little shoutout. That one ended up derailing a surprisingly large part of my year, but we had to do it big for the final installment of our Christmas quadrilogy (Merry Christmassy/Christmas Carol/Santa’s Outback Bender). But it’s also just good to have a reminder that I don’t have to scramble on an Xmas project this month XD —maybe I can actually catch up on some of the year’s cool releases over the holiday break for once!

I released three complete and entire maps this year, and not one was on Not Jabba’s NTC list. I want a refund dammit!!

Goofiness aside, my buddy Man With Gun asked me to play his map in Solar Struggle the other day, and not only was it extremely fun but got me hooked into the whole wad. I think I’m gonna be addicted to this one for my next few SP Dooming sessions.

Saw Wormwood IV mentioned here too - I think that’ll have to be next in line after Solar Struggle!

Thanks for the shout-out Not Jabba!  I'm thrilled to be included among such esteemed peers.

The list is wonderfully indicative of the variety we've been able to enjoy with the community's contemporary output.  We've got single maps, megawads and everything in between.  We've got heavily narrative experiences alongside nothing but platforming levels.  We've got moody oppressiveness rubbing shoulders with cheerful trips to the beach.  We've got vanilla, we've even got ZDoom, and we've got vanilla pretending to be ZDoom.  Not to mention all the Limit-Removings, Booms, MBFs, MBF21s and more.

Long may we continue to not be pigeon-holed into specific types of mapsets!

Thank you for the Silver Not-the-Cacoward @Not Jabba, while I appreciate your early recognition of Endquest, it has just now gotten a final release! If anyone is curious the download link can be found in the OP here. Thanks again!

Cheers for the nod in the others section. Atomic is still in development (Though I confess that only two more maps have been made (maps12/13)).

Have you played Azazel's Second Descent?

Also, Relyctum is unfinished, Beewen still has a lot of corrections to implement.

Thanks a lot for mentioning Ozonia, Not Jabba!

I feel honored and I'm really happy that you've enjoyed it! >.<

This year was indeed full of amazing releases and seeing Ozonia among them is fantastic. I'm also really grateful for the big support it got from the community and especially the maps made by Antares, Lorenzo, riderr and A2Rob.

Edited by Deadwing

Glad to see you enjoyed Infection enough to make it high up your list Not Jabba. Hopefully next year there'll be a small expansion for it.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:13 AM, Not Jabba said:

This is why I love the Cacowards and yearly wrap-ups in general - someone's out here picking up stuff that you completely missed out on (despite being around all year) and you end up falling head over heels for it.

Really great write up, I was looking forward to the Caco's as I always find loads of great stuff I've somehow completely missed. You just beat them to it, I've not played even half the stuff on your list. Sure to be more in the Caco's, don't know how I'll find the time to play it all!

Thanks for the recommends, I recently read your book on the evolution of Doom level design, it inspired me to retry TNT with a different outlook that let me finally appreciate how great it was and lead to me finding other similarly designed WADs I also love, so thank you for that too.

Awesome, two quality essays to read about BeeWen. I shall savor this as I savor his maps (and as his maps savor consuming me).

I am a lover of long adventures in Doom and after having read the first of your two latest reviews I decided to forgo reading the second and just go download Relyctum. 😀 Im like 5 maps in and loving it, thanks for writing up such good reviews and pointing me in the right direction.

For me, DOOM is a brilliant game and a creative platform that allows you to implement many different ideas and their embodiments. My task was not to leave a bright mark in the gaming community, the main thing is that the players were interested in adventures on these maps.

Not Jabba correctly described the order of development of the storyline and most of the original solutions on these collections.
Although I tried to create as few "switchhunting" situations as possible, but large maps have the same amount of research.

I am grateful for the evaluation of my work and will try to continue to please the community with such creativity.

A fantastic writeup! Hopefully, this will get more people to play Relyctum and Greenian.

I completed both of these megawads recently and they are both phenomenal.

I found progression somewhat obtuse only in a few Relyctum maps, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment.

Really looking forward to what Beewen meister cooks up next for us!

Great to see you back Not Jabba and it certainly will be a treat to read just like your other reviews.

One question, any plans for doing the top 20 maps of each year again?

Always loved to see what the winners would be.

55 minutes ago, RichardDS90 said:

One question, any plans for doing the top 20 maps of each year again?

Unfortunately no, because they take a huge amount of time and I like writing other things more. I gave up on 2021 because I couldn't get smaller than a top 30 for that year (and like 50 runners-up) and it was hard to decide on an order.

Top 6 for 2021 were "Voile, the Magic Library" (TPH E1M9), "Missile Gap" (last map of Ashes: Afterglow), Infraworld: Coma Moonlight, Ventose, "A Kiss From Gaia" (last map of Time Tripper), and "Strange, Strange Instruments" (TPH E3M7).

#1 map for 2022 was Don't Turn Your Back on the City. My top 5 would probably also include Relyctum map 20, Ozonia map 29, and Jumpwad map 02 and 07.

#1 and #2 maps for this year so far are MyHouse and "Fool's Valley" (Sepia map 34). If Devilution is finalized this year, map 30 is also in my top 5.

Edited by Not Jabba