Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: The Rebirth

Category 1, died on map05. Exited map04 at 22:10.

Spoiler

Seemingly died in the same place as SCF. There are going to be a lot of people who die in this exact room. Blind players don't stand much of a chance this month. Ok, it doesn't deal that much damage, but it's still bullshit.

reironman-pseudonaut.zip

Edited by Pseudonaut

That's encouraging... I haven't done much scouting work (to not compromise a cat 2 too much, though it's always guaranteed) except on a few later maps for 30 seconds, 01 and 07. The fact I seemingly missed a death-spot map is mildly concerning. I plan on supplying a run in 2 hours from now so I'll make a deduction based off of that. Hopefully it's not that unfair.

It was definitely a nasty surprise, especially since the wad had been pretty mild up to that point. It's avoidable, but you'd have to see it coming or react very quickly.

Spoiler

Checking the demo, I had 100 health and green armor and still died, so that's pretty significant damage.

50 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

Ok, it doesn't deal that much damage, but it's still bullshit.

I've got 100 down to 2% if I guessed the place correctly.

Category I, ded on MAP17 with 26/80 kilz. Total time is 2h36:46, time on MAP17 is 3:10 (-> exited MAP16 at 2h33:36). Did MAP31&32, pathetic in my case.

Substracted 64% from my health with the Rocket Launcher, coz why not? Especially when you're trying to hit the Revenant at the balcony, but the svper-trve-real-3D-FPS game decides to "help" you to aim at the Pinkie underneath you, so that you eat your own rocket and your brain catches a Rocket-jump Express airlines ride. Nice.

I like the curve at MAP... uhm, 13, 15? When the WAD is like "Chillin', pal? Now eat some Revenant ass".

dvvrebir.zip

Category 2

Dead Map03

Comments;

it-crowd.gif

I just played Microslaughter and Haste for goodness sake!!!

rebirthcb.zip

Edited by cannonball : Reuploaded zip file with the actual lmp file.

This is on my 'To play' list. I'll bump it to the top and provide a run sometime this month. Work got very short staffed and I'm working more than I have as of late.

Someone should make note of the potential soft lock on Map 14 it seems.

Got scared of an archvile (after a duo decimated me early on in the level) and fell into quite a narrow corner pit on MAP32. At least it had a damaging floor...

Category 2, reached MAP32 at around 1h14min. Shame, seems like I was 20 minutes up on Bdubzzz. Oh well, you live and learn. Quite happy with this one. The more I got through E1 the more I started to remember from that playthrough up until the middle of MAP09 three years ago. MAP14 softlock will be documented in the OP in about half an hour when I update it with obituaries. I also still have to add 3 obits to April, will get around to doing that.

dwironman_may22_naza.zip

Edited by NaZa

Category 1

Died on map06

Kills: 6/17

Very stupid way to die, actually. Apparently I was too confuse to see the progression of the map, I ended up being killed when running back to activate the lift. I was too nervous to think and I made many mistakes (and it seems like I can't use a shotgun anymore, judging by the shoots missed) >:( 

Maybe I could survive longer than that, but my nerves are not helping at all.  :(

About The Rebirth: the maps look very good to explore and I'd like to play the whole wad. I'm impressed by the appearance of some monsters, they kinda make you uncomfortable, this is a very nice detail :D

IM_Rebirth_SilentD00mer.zip

With that, a quarter of the entries so far this month succumbed to softlocks. My bad. That one will also be documented in the OP, and obits will get added today. No worries, sorry to keep you waiting that long.

Edited by NaZa

Category 1, died on map13 with 55/94 kills. Exited map12 at 57:45

Spoiler

Honestly, I didn't think I'd make it this far when I started. There were some close calls but I ultimately died to overconfidence by attempting to 2-shot the cyberdemon with the BFG. Anyway, this is my first time participating, and I had a lot of fun! 

DWIL0522_Rebirth_SharkyChip.rar

Leaderboard updated. @NightTerror currently in the lead, getting ever so close to the exit. However, there's probably solace in the fact that NightTerror would likely have won April had they not accidentally boarded a lift going up in the very end of the map, so that's a nice UNO reverse card, if anything. Admirable run by @Vince Vega whom I'm glad to see back in form, same with @mhrz

Also noticed I haven't yet congratulated the winner last month - well done @Bdubzzz! That makes it two in a row - and by quite some margin. An incredible result also by @LadyMistDragon and also by @ginc who is actually the runner with the highest average score so far (barring Bdubzzz), which is quite noteworthy. Glad to see there could be some nice competition for the top spots by the end of the year. Also glad to see @Maribo win the prepared category, considering they're still one of two runners that have survived a challenge twice this year. A lot of first time survivals as well which I've already praised in the thread itself.

As for the yearly standings, Bdubzzz jumped into the lead as mhrz slipped from 1st all the way to 7th, sadly. Maribo keeps their 2nd place while this dude who happens to call himself NaZa somehow managed to barely scrape into the Top 3 but with @Anima Zero (who is yet to survive this year, but consistently places well) quite close behind. Beginner closes the Top 5 while @Pseudonaut, after the worst possible start to the year, flies into the Top 10, capitalizing on @NoisyVelvet's misfortune. Won't call you out again, Noisy, I promise now. The 11th placed runner, @DisgruntledPorcupine, is quite a ways behind 10th placed @Suitepee, so the Top 10 is unlikely to change this month... but is it? We'll see. There's 23 days remaining and 32 maps to beat.

https://youtu.be/_ZzFEt0YrCc

Standard run (I had played this previously a few years ago, but didn't remember much from it) that starts at around 5:09.

Died on map 14 due to THAT softlock. (70/125 monsters killed) Even though I roughly knew about it beforehand from the OP, I was so busy getting into the groove whilst playing this that I didn't pay heed to this knowledge when the time came. How the heck did that softlock not get fixed?

category 1

reached map 19 at 1:33:58 

died with 53/97 kills in map19

this is the first time i record a demo that goes over 1 hour o_O

Spoiler

cuddled to death by cacos, i didn't want them to have my big freakin' toy :(

dwiron_rebirth_luleta.zip

DEAD: MAP08

Category 1 (blind)

Time of Arrival: 40:20

Kills: 28/81

Time of Death: 41:55

noisy_rebirth_ironman.zip

Poor choice of jumping in there, poor choice of weapon too, and poor choice of not realizing there were a couple extra specters in there too.  Cool maps.

DEAD: MAP16 (Included secret maps 31 and 32)

Category 1

Kills: 37/100

Had fun...

Category 1:

Died: Map 20 at 02:59:59

Kills 110/140

Of course it was a Cyberdemon. The only guys who hate me more are Revenants. I guess that's what I get for taking their lunch money too many times. And another trollish Invulnerbility in the map? Fer god's sake

At between 1:10:00 and 1:40:00 or something like that, it's paused for an hour and a half because I was out for a while. It's fine though, as the following 5 minutes aren't really that interesting, just finishing up Map 12: Home?

Other notes:

I think I recognize only 1 track from the Rebirth Pack, I guess there is a reason why, but anything's better than default music, as a rule.

Early on, I had 69 bullets. Nice!

There was a point in a map I forget (it has a blue key door on the right or in front in a square near the start, I think) where I ran into literal ghost pinkies. I didn't think normal ghost monsters faded in and out. I don't believe that Mancubus in Map 31 of Eternal Doom was flickering. Interesting that concident and I experience that exact same bug though)

On two different occasions, I faced down Cyberdemons in other maps before the third one got me. I had less room in the other case

Vader likes to group chaingunners together.

The plasma sound replacement sounds like something that appeared in the Sam Ketmar map "Assault on Moonbase Cresta." Poor taste, I must say.

I just can't believe how easily I stumbled into my first BFG.

Notice where I observed the spot where the softlock on map 14 is for a second or two, smiling

Can you tell I wanted to die in Map 20? Unfortunately, there was too much health. If I'd found one more Megasphere/Soulsphere....

And speaking of "Gateway," I do NOT know how I was able to grab that first Invulnerbility. I would've been a goner right then if I hadn't

I don't think "Cyberdemons" are a huge spoiler. Your reflexes are important fighting them. No need to get into murders of Revenants that nearly killed me at least once. Or the occasional Arch-vile.

lmd_ironbirth.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon : some extra info about the softlock like 20 minutes before this is updated, and something else more important relating to a possible pause (I dunno if that stuff shows up in demos), added something I'd forgotten earlier

Category 1, died on map 29 with 42 kills, exited map 28 at 3:26:27

RebirthIronmanMedi.zip

PS: If you watch my demo and you see random moments where I stopped was because I lowered the volume to 0 when I had to fight arachnotrons (plasma sfx was completely broken)

Edited by Master Medi : added reason for randomly stopping

dwironman_may22_nazaprep.zip

Have a prepared run... guess how it ends? Technically in the same way as Bdubzzz, died on MAP28 in the pit opposite the blue door (which is inescapable), but by attempting a "clever little skip", or so I thought.

You see, there's this barrier behind the blue door I was unaware of, I thought it was just a door which you can immediately get through. Turns out it's not. After wondering what toggles it, I saw a switch had risen in a part of the level you can ironically see from said point (the game laughing in your face!), I knew I pretty much fucked myself, as the pit below is inescapable and I couldn't return back to the level. Oh well. Decided to drop into it and rocket myself. I deserve that after 2 and a half hours. Playing it safe works better than attempting skips...

EDIT: Just to add that it seems the ending (25-30) stretch of this WAD is doomed. 3/5 people (4/6 if you count this) runners that have made it this far died to either inescapable pits or softlocks. All 3 (4) technically to unique ones. And it stings... 

EDIT 2: To clarify, my only preparation was watching others' runs. No active practice was made. Thus, technically, this would be a standard category 3 run but since it's my second attempt it's going on the Prepared Leaderboard.

Edited by NaZa : doom. badum tss.