Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ant

Who here is still a classic DOOM fan since 12/10/1993?

Sorry, I hated it for exactly 24 hours after the original release.

I can’t claim to have been a fan earlier than late 1995 or early 1996, whenever it was that I first played Shareware Doom.

I did first see and “play” Wolf3D as a babe, one of my earliest memories, right around Christmas 93. Coulda been early 94 though. Still, maybe I get honorary membership by being a fan of Doom’s older brother for literally as long as I can remember. A lot of people considered Doom the “sequel” to Wolf3D back then!

(wouldn’t change the timing btw, I’m glad all the Doom pioneering was mostly done by the time I was mentally able to get online and download wads.. Maps and tools were just starting to get really good around 98ish)

I started on console (32x) but, been a fan boy since December 94, Its the main reason I pushed my mom to buy me a computer in 95, Then the obsession began I guess.

I only first played the shareware around the spring/summer of 1994, later "borrowed" a friend's cd-rom of Doom 2 around '98, and didn't own my own copy until The Ultimate Doom Trilogy: Collector's Edition in 2001. And other than the music I wouldn't say there was an obsession or anything until late 2012, so poser fraud confirmed.

Been a fan since...oh, 2010 or so. I can't remember exactly when I got into Doom, but I know I bought my first copies of the classic games (and Doom 3) in 2011. I can claim to be an OG Halo player though, since I got the first game in that series in 2002.

I know my parents played Doom with cheats back in the day, and my father had an old Wolfenstein shareware floppy...and my brother actually plays more Doom than I do these days, so at least it runs in the family.

I am that old! I actually was looking FORWARD to Doom in fall of 1993. Commander Keen had been the first game I ever played, and I remember being disappointed by Wolf 3D because all the ceilings were the same height and the graphics weren't as "good" as the sidescrollers. When I first heard about Doom I was thinking "THAT'S what I wanted Wolf 3D to be!"

Interestingly, though, I only played the shareware when it came out that December, and didn't "buy" a Doom game until the sequel the following fall. I first played eps 2-4 in 1995 with the Ultimate Doom. Knee-Deep has always been my favorite batch of "official" levels.

Truth be told here, I didn't even know what Doom was growing up. I was more into Halo, Call of Duty (yes i know cringe) and other stuff. It wasn't until late 2014 early 2015 that i found out what doom was, ever since then been a big fan of it and still love the great grandfather of FPS games of the 90's. 

I am also truing into a Quake fan as well, I mean quake is better then doom in a lot of ways but i have making maps for doom anyways. I can only image what quake mapping was like back in the day.......oh god. 

Downloaded the shareware from a BBS. You have to start the download right before bed so it won't get interrupted if someone calls. My friends and I had been playing Wolf3d religiously for months and were awestruck by Doom, even though we thought it was a little silly they gave the nazis green hair.

Initially got into Commander Keen, then Wolf3D. I’m pretty sure we didn’t get it on the 10th itself but I know we had shareware Doom before Christmas, after months of anticipation. Been a fan ever since.

There are a few other games that I still go back to decades later but I think this is the only one I can point to the specific month that I started playing.

I'm not sure if it was 1993 or 1994, but my first exposure to Doom was the shareware demo. I think it was v1.2 (it was a version where it would crash if you used anything other than PC Speaker for sound effects, though music still worked). I'm leaning toward early 1994 for that one. I remember teaching one of my elementary school friends how to actually get the chainsaw in E1L2.

I was born a week after the release of Wolfenstein 3D, so I wasn't exactly in any capacity to play Doom on launch, I first saw Doom 2 when I was like 7 years old and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen since Diablo and Starcraft (the coolest things in the world to me at the time).

My brother only allowed me to play Simpsons Doom 2, because he felt Doom 2 was too dark and violent for me (probably right, had one or two nightmares there), but I'd eventually play the real thing in secret. I played with cheats either way, because I was too shit at games at that age, but I was so in love with the aesthetics and tone of the game.

Big gatling guns and double barreled shotguns with booming reports and bright red muzzleflashes, a chainsaw, large and muscled satyrs coming at you with fury, tall skeletons with dual rocket launchers and fists swinging, magic potions and artifacts, vast and dark brick and stone dungeons, all kinds of cool music.

The graphics also blew me away, I thought they looked more realistic than any other game, I couldn't even begin to understand how they got guys like the big bad Cyberdemon to look so lifelike and photorealistic. I didn't know what digitized graphics were, just that Quake 2 and Goldeneye 007 didn't look this advanced.

I wasn't alive in 1993, I first played the original Doom when I was 10ish (in mid 00s) because my dad showed me the game and let me play it

Got the shareware version a couple weeks after release, gave it a spin, promptly forgot until about a year ago. Was into other stuff (namely Warcraft)  back then.

I didn't even know the game existed in 1993.  Didn't until '95.  I was 11 in December '93 and my obsession was with Legos.  Doom broke that obsession.

I tried doom for the first time in 1994 and I have been hooked ever since... I like both classic and modernized classic doom (ie. UDMF, MBF21, etc...)

I downloaded the Xbox 360 console port for 5 bones half a decade ago.

And that's how I ended up here.

I know I've been in love with it since the day it came out. I remember chatting on USENET, I remember being absolutely elated at figuring out how to make a door in DEU. Hell, I even remember the day the floppy came in the mail. I remember all of these things, watching from my father's ballsack until I was born in 1995. DOOM truly is a special game.

I'm a fan of Classic Doom but I can't claim to really enjoy it until the early 2010s.

So you can say I'm a Classic Doom fan but not a classic Doom fan.

(Yes I posted here for the sole purpose of making this joke)

I've got some strange .arj-file spread over several floppies from a friend in Summer '94. I did neither know, what it was nor did I have a clue how to extract an multipart arj...took some time to find out....and after that I wasn't seen in the public for several weeks.

Sadly no. I am even very far from close actually (I was born in 2006). I would have loved to witness the release day though.