Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StarSpun5000

What is the most memorable midi you've ever heard in a doom map?

The Final Countdown!!! nuff said

"Stars" by Stewboy (used in Map31 of SoD and Map31 of Valiant) is also up there

I remember D_RUNNIN the most, whether I like it or not. Numerous tests of mods, maps, and whatever have you burned the melody into my earholes.

Jokes aside, I love "One Night In Neo Kobe City" from Snatcher (MAP01 of AUGER;ZENITH). It's just something that rolls together the experience of seeing the whole city from the starting area, and once the bassline kicks in you start playing the level. Good stuff all around.

There's also this really good MIDI rendition of T-Square's "Samurai Metropolis" which was included in a T-Square MIDI pack post that someone posted on here a while back (The person who posted it escapes my memory). It's amazing that each part was articulated with all the bass slides, brass swells, and e-flute vibrato.

I can tell you that the most unmemorable midi is the Terminator theme. It's a decent song and all, but in my experience probably the most overused one out there. During the 90s, if anyone wanted to implement music in their WAD, for some reason they were probably 5x more likely to use the Terminator theme instead of just another song off the Doom soundtrack.

Tristan Clark, AORTA, from Sunder's "The Harlot's Garden" and Panophobia's "Hemophobia".

I have been listening to it for 2 years now, on an almost daily basis.

There's something about it that makes it impervious to saturation.

"Icicles" which appears in prokects like CC4, Stardate 20X6 and 12 Days of Doomas, but might be best used in "180 Minutes Por Vivre." Catchy with a sense of grace, yet undebatably rocking and with a sense of genuine emotion, it's definitely my top midi. I could also list plenty of others, but I think one will be enough for now.

There are so many midis I could name, but I will limit myself to 11: 

Fight the Logic if You Can by Dashiva (also it's remix in the midi pack)

The Mucus Flow and Grove midis by B.P.R.D

Entering by Esselfortium

The Forgotten God, The Infinite Labyrinth and Ionian Isolation by Tristan Clark

Brutal Schism by Jimmy

Imaginarium and Alien Jungle by Stewboy

Grandfather Clocktower by Varis Alpha

Edited by tonytheparrot : Added Varis Alpha’s midi

7 hours ago, Sena said:

I can tell you that the most unmemorable midi is the Terminator theme. It's a decent song and all, but in my experience probably the most overused one out there. During the 90s, if anyone wanted to implement music in their WAD, for some reason they were probably 5x more likely to use the Terminator theme instead of just another song off the Doom soundtrack.

I was looking through like 10 different 1994-1996 shovelware discs, and although most maps had no MIDIs, on the rare occasion they did, there was at least a 50% chance it was the Terminator theme.

I always assumed 90s wads re-used the same 20ish MIDIs over and over and over (Terminator theme, Mission Impossible, Das Boot and a bunch of classical MIDIs) because some popular BBSes, FTP servers or very early sites probably only had small-ish handfuls of MIDI files to put up for download. It has to be something along those lines. Once the internet started becoming more commonly available in the late 90s and early 00s I remember the number of MIDIs out there to pick from skyrocketing!

Some of my favourites include (I think all are original compositions for Doom PWADs):

• Grosstown Traffic by Zan-zan-zawa-veia (yakfak), used on Finely Crafted Fetish Film (I think it was MAP04). Really well made funk track with interesting harmonies.
  • Womp, by esselfortium, used in BTSX E1 (already mentioned), always dream of hearing a remix of it at a club at >6 AM
  • Desk Lamp by stewboy, used in Sunlust MAP04 and Ancient Aliens. Like the way the track flows naturally even with its odd time signature.
  • Liquid Luck and Weather Warning by Jimmy, from the BTSX series
  • Night Bats by Mark Klem, from the Memento Mori series. Very atmospheric, one of the best "night"-evoking tracks.
  • Hiding from the Robo-Zombies by mouldy, from Going Down. Could have also chosen others from that mapset.
Edited by erzboesewicht

This Midi kind of sucked me in,  personal favorite

Doom 64 4 Doom 2  

MAP09     : Research Lab
Music     : The Dark City by Viscra Maelstrom

I hear most of the time TNT Midi Pack Midis and TNT Midis, dont know which one but those are memorable.

If I can only choose midis from the maps I've actually played, then my favorite is an unnamed (at least I wasn't able to find its name in text file or anywhere else) midi from Invasion Level 1 Contamination.
If I can choose anything I've seen on youtube, than my list of favorites is pretty standard, I think: Mucus Flow, Fight the Logic if you Can, and Industrial (From Hellcore 2.0, though I heard it in Sunder first).

Ah, so many great songs to pick- tbh, I doubt I'd have quite the same love of music if it weren't for some of my favorite wads' soundtracks.

Despite that, the first thing I remembered when I saw this thread was Haddaway's "What is Love?" playing in the Doom Legacy version of DSV4 by Kaiser, so... welp.

"Homesick" by Decino from "No Rest for the Living". Just super chill and peaceful and just makes you feel good.

"Octarine" by James Paddock (Eviternity MAP02)

"Launch Time" by James Paddock (Adventures of Square E1A9)

"Danielle's Face" by Edwin van Veldhoven (Hellcore MAP01/Temple of the Lizard Men 2 MAP01)

"Midnight Call" by Mark Klem (Memento Mori MAP07/Eviternity MAP01)

"TechnoDoom" by Mark Klem (STRAIN MAP01/ZPack E1M6)

"Coal" and "Quicksilver" by James Paddock (Back to Saturn X E1 MAP10 and MAP15 respectively)

Edited by HydroFS02

MAP20 From the Plutonia MIDI Pack, I stopped playing the game for at least 10 minutes just so I could listen to it. 

There are exactly 2 Midis which fit this criteria in my brain : Fight The Logic If You Can from Alien Vendetta's Map20 (Misri Halek), and Atmospheric Pressure from Back To Saturn X - Episode 1's map05 (Total Exposure).

Honestly a lot of the music in Ancient Aliens was very memorable. That aside, for me some very memorable midis would be:

• Empyreon MAP08 music. It was also used in MAP04 of Cybie's Freaky Colonoscopy. I don't think anyone knows what it's called or who made it though. Kinda mysterious
  • 2012 by Jimmy in ZDCMP2.
  • Space Train by stewboy in MAP11 of Ancient Aliens.
  • Featherfall by stewboy in MAP07 of Ancient Aliens.
  • Gold Rush by stewboy in MAP13 of Ancient Aliens
  • (Not sure if this counts but...) Starshine by Purple Motion in MAP02 of Dark Tartarus.
  • Mercury Rain by Skaven in MAP09 of Empyreon.
  • Forgone Destruction from Unreal Tournament used in... the map "Mad Space" of Pro-fucking-Doomer.

NewDoom Community Project II MAP24 - "Floating Relaxing Tones" by Digital Brain Music Studio.

DBP05: Coffin Curse MAP02 - Untitled by bigolbilly.

Back to Nirvana X: Episode One MAP24 - "Orinoco Flow" by Enya.

I'm really interested in the source of the first one since I have not being able to locate it's origin.

"Epitome II" by Blut Aus Nord, that can be heard in Slaughterfest 2012 map30.

Sounds like the perfect theme to me for an epic battle against the armies of Hell.

Already mentioned, but I'm also fond of "Ionian Isolation" by Tristan Clark, from TNT: Revilution map12. Just breathtaking.

Edited by Pierrot

Surprised that Gutter Penny has not been mentioned by Alfonso.

Threnody map 10 Formalhaut.

Or I missed it.

(the only good example I could find on YouTube, thanks Doom Eternal for ruining searches related to Eternal Doom forever! Really appreciated!)

Somebody already mentioned it but Hate Machine from the MIDI soundtrack of Sigil is the most memorable to me. I did not expect music that was as awesome as it was when playing the wad initially, so it was shockingly good.