Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

Update:
My review of the widescreen statusbars is complete. I only found two entries that required conversion, which were Descension and Dimension of the Boomed (looks like you were really unlucky when choosing that one). Those that are meant for ZDoom/GZDoom mods I left as PNGs (Adventures of Square, Shadow/Rise of the Woolball, ZBlood).

I won't release a new official version before June, but you can always go to Github, click on the green "Code" button and choose "Download Zip".

@NightFright:  Thank you for taking the time to update your pack.

Everyone else, apologies for derailing the thread I didn't intend that to happen. :)

20 hours ago, Average said:

I've never added a palette to Slade before but I'll muck about later today. :)

Just open the wad in SLADE, select the PLAYPAL, and then rigth-click and choose either "Add to Custom Palettes" (will be at the top of the context menu's Palette submenu) or "Test Palette" (will be towards the middle). The former adds the palette permanently to the palette list in SLADE, while the latter only adds it for the current session (it'll be gone if you close and restart SLADE). In either case, you'll be asked for a palette name to enter and then you can choose it from any palette selector widget in SLADE.

I was wondering if the "Classic BFG" option in the weapons menu might be some kinda misnomer. Not knowing what it was, I assumed it would acticate an animation even more faithful to vanilla, only to find out it was an imitation of the pre-release version of the weapon.

I guess this is a feature of the original MBF port, so I won't question its existence. However, maybe it could be considered to rename the option to "Beta-Style BFG", "Prototype BFG" or something similar, just to avoid confusion.

It is an MBF feature indeed.  I’ve always called it Beta BFG.  Calling it classic BFG makes no sense as it was never widely known or used since it was not usable in classic Doom.

Yeah, pretty much that. For me, "classic" is basically equivalent to "vanilla". Which is why I expected something different from this option.

I see you guys already did the name change to "Pre-Beta BFG". Outstanding.

Have I recently mentioned how great the support is in this project?

While testing woof 9.0.0 (official w32 build) on my machine I'm geting "exit on signal 11" error. But it works with -nomusic.

P_Init: Init Playloop state.                                                   
I_Init: Setting up machine state.                                              
I_InitSound: Couldn't open audio with desired format.                          
NET_Init: Init network subsystem.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
startskill 3  deathmatch: 0  startmap: 7  startepisode: 1                      
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)                                                        
S_Init: Setting up sound.
S_Init: default sfx volume 8                                                   
I_SignalHandler: Exit on Signal 11 

Looking at the option->general->midi player:

woof 9.0.0 = native/fluidsynth/opl (none works for me)

woof 8.1.0 = sdl/opl (both works)

Also, a funny behavior with the lifts without a tag (comp_zerotags 1)

I made a little sample (attachment)

Just lower the lift(BLAKWAL2)

With another ports thats support zerotag(zdoom/dsda doom) it works as expected. (I guess)

lift.zip

Sorry for the double post, but I found the problem on my side.

woof 9.0.0 sdl2.dll(a28191ed37bf1060771d6ac2eac719f6) is the culprit here.

With sdl2.dll(9eb4c9a7dfa97aca30043cbcc71f1bda) from woof 8.1.0 it works fine with all midi devices.

Is it possible to make a mod comparable to to njsplash by @Enjay for Woof! and other Boom/MBF source ports?  I'm loving the feel of Woof! but the one thing I'm finding hard to live without is that lovely splash sound when I land in water.  It just feels weird to me now when I land in a liquid and it sounds like I've landed on hardened concrete.

PS:  Forgive my ignorance if this is something that just isn't doable. :) 

13 hours ago, boom_compatible said:

With another ports thats support zerotag(zdoom/dsda doom) it works as expected. (I guess)

Could you probably post what exactly you expect?

If his error disappears when sdl2.dll is exchanged, it's clearly an SDL2-related issue, not with the port. Keep using the older sdl2.dll in that case, I guess? That's why the DLLs are external and not integrated into the executable in the first place.

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Could you probably post what exactly you expect?

Without killing the arachnotron: the sector 1 should lower from 8 to 0. 
woof behavior: instead the sector 2(megasphere) is lowered from 64 to 0.

Killing the arachnotron: sector 1 will raise(tag 667) to the celing and can be used as lift to access the sector 2.
woof behavior: the sector 1 will raise to the ceiling, sector 1 does not works as a lift and sector 2 is lowered when you try to use sector 1 as lift.

The lines 4,5,6 are not working "locally", but are lowering every sector with tag=0.

In lift-2.zip the sectors 2,3 and 4 (all with tag=0) are lowered when you try to use the lift. 

lift-2..zip

I guess I don't understand, but lift-2.zip works exactly the same for me in Woof and DSDA-Doom with comp_zerotags 1. @boom_compatible can you record a demo with the problem?

I swear the only thing that keeps this from being THE greatest limit-removing boom-compatible source port is a gamma correction on par with Doom Retro and International Doom, I like bumping things down to 0.75, other than that I'll always simp for Woof! because I play everything in it now that doesn't require a specific port to operate. @fabian @rfomin Thanks for being absolute G's in this community.

For me, what this could still have to be "perfect" is:

- Support for brightmaps

- Truecolor software renderer (like in the experimental Crispy Doom build)

- Resolutions beyond 400p (possibly out of scope, already mentioned earlier)

A request for brightmaps is already on Github, maybe there will be a viable solution for this later on. As for the other wishes, I dunno how realistic they are and whether they are even possible to implement. Anyway, this is a great port and for me it has already pretty much replaced Crispy Doom.

1 minute ago, NightFright said:

For me, what this could still have to be "perfect" is:

- Support for brightmaps

- Truecolor software renderer (like in the experimental Crispy Doom build)

- Resolutions beyond 400p (possibly out of scope, already mentioned earlier)

A request for brightmaps is already on Github, maybe there will be a viable solution for this later on. As for the other wishes, I dunno how realistic they are and whether they are even possible to implement. Anyway, this is a great port and for me it has already pretty much replaced Crispy Doom.

I agree with all of these, except for the part about replacing Crispy Doom, I use both :P

27 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

I swear the only thing that keeps this from being THE greatest limit-removing boom-compatible source port is a gamma correction on par with Doom Retro and International Doom, I like bumping things down to 0.75, other than that I'll always simp for Woof! because I play everything in it now that doesn't require a specific port to operate. @fabian @rfomin Thanks for being absolute G's in this community.

Yes, please.

@NightFright:  Have you played around with SoftFX?  I'm sure what you're looking for is more sophisticated modding features or something else technical (READ: over my head!) but I find it hard to play without this nowadays. :)

Not bad, but it's also a hack and overrides spritefixes in case you are using those. Providing edited versions of palettes, sprites and textures isn't too elegant as a solution for a mod that's supposed to work with as many pwads as possible. It also comes with a few downsides, e.g. if you have activated colored blood, Barons will bleed brightly green as if they had acid in their veins. Unity-style medikits with green crosses also glow. Looks interesting, but certainly not intended.

Edited by NightFright

21 hours ago, rfomin said:

I guess I don't understand, but lift-2.zip works exactly the same for me in Woof and DSDA-Doom with comp_zerotags 1. @boom_compatible can you record a demo with the problem?

I made a little video demonstrating the issue.

First, is the woof 9.0.0 lowering all sectors with tag=0.

After, dsda 0.24.3 with the desired behavior.

lift-2-video.zip

5 hours ago, NightFright said:

- Support for brightmaps

This, International Heretic's brightmaps were really nice to see for example.

I still think extended colors for messages would be cool (dark blue for one versus "7" that is much brighter) but I think I know why it's the way it is, the old menu system would need to be totally redesigned. You can get around default limitations anyway by supplementing alternate PLAYPALs and using new fonts for messages as their defaults can translate differently.

E: What I mean, using the PSX Doom message font and picking 7 results in this look.

18962d4da7c8e905fb184fb34c1e824f031c3bea

Crispy Heretic is apparently about to get brightmaps as well. I know Woof is not using quite the same renderer, so it's not simply a matter of "taking Crispy brightmaps and copy/pasting them into Woof", but it's one of those features you find hard to live without once you started using it. Right now the controversy on Github seems to be about how they should be implemented, but tbh I would already be ok with a 100% Crispy Doom approach. Main thing is it will still work with sprite fixes.

4 hours ago, boom_compatible said:

First, is the woof 9.0.0 lowering all sectors with tag=0.

If you got to the Options -> Setup -> Doom Compatibility menu and on the second page set "Linedef effects work with sector tag = 0" to "Yes", does this fix the issue for you?

Edit: No, it doesn't. What you are looking for is PrBoom+'s "LINEDEFS W/O TAGS APPLY LOCALLY" which is listed in section "COMPATIBILITY WITH COMMON MAPPING ERRORS".

International Doom even goes one step further. Besides raising gamma, you can increase general brightness of the entire level. Extremely useful for those pitch-black maps.

Unless this is what that new feature is about and I didn't get it.