Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

The Doom Master Wadazine #16 - Feat. Velvetic, The History of D!Zone, 2021 Doom Retrospective, Bootleg Gallery and WAD recommendations!

As good as every issue is,

In regards to the Challenge club, huge fan of the idea, will probably go through with the set of challenges regardless of if the challenge club becomes an official thing.

9 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

In regards to the Challenge club, huge fan of the idea, will probably go through with the set of challenges regardless of if the challenge club becomes an official thing.

If more people seem interested, it could happen next year with a bit more preparation.

There are a few gems of maps I got out of D!Zone Gold. But after going through at least a thousand of them to find them unfinished or multiplayer maps labelled incorrectly, it was a sad moment. At least the HTP and PG demos were fun.

Article says DZ was released exclusively in the US, was that meant to be for just the first one or others as well?

6 minutes ago, DarkQuill said:

There are a few gems of maps I got out of D!Zone Gold. But after going through at least a thousand of them to find them unfinished or multiplayer maps labelled incorrectly, it was a sad moment. At least the HTP and PG demos were fun.

Article says DZ was released exclusively in the US, was that meant to be for just the first one or others as well?

D!Zone was made by WizardWorks, a low-budget publisher located in the US that mostly produced level-compilations of dubious quality for various FPS games. I highly doubt they had international shipping as part of their service, but could be. They also made the Deer Hunter series.

Just now, Endless said:

D!Zone was made by WizardWorks, a low-budget publisher located in the US that mostly produced level-compilations of dubious quality for various FPS games. I highly doubt they had international shipping as part of their service, but could be. They also made the Deer Hunter series.

Ah okay. I ask only because I bought D!Zone Gold in-box off the shelf in Australia back in the 90s, but had never seen any of the others in the D!Zone or H!Zone series.

25 minutes ago, Endless said:

D!Zone was made by WizardWorks

More precisely, it was made by Simply Silly Software for WizardWorks.

You can read some of the history over there. Notably, this part is relevant:

Joe Wilcox said:

I took a lot of crap for D!Zone and H!Zone but here is the truth. They came out in a time where like 20 cities had broadband so grabbing maps from the internet was tough for most people. For D!Zone2 I actually paid an ISP to give me direct access to their T1 line to download the maps. And believe it or not, they were a ton of work to put together. Each map had to be reviewed to make sure it didn't include copyright and / or trademarked art (95% of the rejections) and that the associated readme.txt gave permission to include it. While I'm sure one or two go through that broke that rule (I mostly automated it in the end), I only agreed to do it if WizardWorks agreed to let me enforce that rule.

H!Zone was I think the first of WizardWork's add-ons like this to include custom content. By then broadband had a wider base so they needed to up the game to keep sales up (those CDs.. sold REALLY WELL). WizardWorks asked if we could add a new monster and create maps. It was an extremely difficult run to get it all finished in the time allotted (I think it was 2 months). That's when Andre joined SimplySilly. I needed to have an artist on board. Even then we crunched for like 2 months straight 15x7. Another fun fact, the snowy rock texture used in H!Zone was used in XmasDoom, H2H Xmas Doom (I had a hand in both of them too) and DN:NW. reuse, reuse, reuse. Another fun fact, we were living in this hole in Tempe AZ and right across the street was a Denny's. Man nothing hits the spot quicker than a grand slam after crunching for 15 hours at 5 or 6am (we were night owls).

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

More precisely, it was made by Simply Silly Software for WizardWorks.

You can read some of the history over there. Notably, this part is relevant:

That's an interesting read, for sure. Working 15 hours a day with the hardware back then... that sounds hardcore.

39 minutes ago, DarkQuill said:

Ah okay. I ask only because I bought D!Zone Gold in-box off the shelf in Australia back in the 90s, but had never seen any of the others in the D!Zone or H!Zone series.

Sounds like a lucky find! Despite the general reception of the series, those are some cool boxes to collect.

Love reading these, great job!  It is great that you can still pump these out despite the challenges with time, some real dedication there.

3 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Love reading these, great job!  It is great that you can still pump these out despite the challenges with time, some real dedication there.

Thanks a lot! We have a solid team of consistent contributors that make sure to fill the submissions gap each issue. And, of course, the painful part of design is all done by our two graphic designers, which have been working with us for more than a year now. Without them, I'd probably be doing this with MS Word and MS Paint like there's no tomorrow lol

One thing I'd love to see are more interviews.  The edition with the interview with Brad was one of my favourites.  Reminded me of the gaming magazines I used to read as a kid.

1 hour ago, Roebloz said:

Really nice issue!

Particularly your Console Doom Chronicles! Correctly and interestingly you mentioned Doom 64 was planned since 1994 and the co-development of it with the PS1 Dooms. In my mind I always imagined PS1 Dooms came out, then the Doom 64 development started, like a linear process. But they had a deal with Nintendo early on, which gave them early development kits, and considering the N64 hardware I imagine they wanted to get working on that as soon as they could.

You mentioned the sector coloring and rightfully how that was vital in Doom 64 fitting on the cartridge. It makes me wonder if the colored lighting of the PS1 Dooms was a by product of them thinking of ways to fit Doom on a N64 cartridge, and then they realized it would be a nice and easy feature to port to the PS1 Dooms.

Thanks for writing a fantastic article and getting me to think of the development process at Williams / Midway in a different way!

6 hours ago, Gibbon said:

One thing I'd love to see are more interviews.  The edition with the interview with Brad was one of my favourites.  Reminded me of the gaming magazines I used to read as a kid.

I gotchu! Next issue already has 2 interviewes set. One related to WADs and one to the broad multiplayer genre ;)

I'm immensely thankful for the opportunity to talk a little bit about my history with the game and Atmospheric Extinction, and to be completely honest, I was a bit scared because this is my first time doing an interview.

2021 was the best for me, and here's to an even better 2022 for all!

2 hours ago, Velvetic said:

I'm immensely thankful for the opportunity to talk a little bit about my history with the game and Atmospheric Extinction, and to be completely honest, I was a bit scared because this is my first time doing an interview.

2021 was the best for me, and here's to an even better 2022 for all!

A pleasure to have you with us, and expect more collabs in the future!

I'm no doubt shouting to an empty theater, but my co-writer in for the newstuff guide has taken a sabbatical. If there's anyone willing to pitch in, please let me know, and I'll try to explain what my process for writing about new releases is.