Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RataUnderground

What "other" sourceports do you frequently use?

I get what Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, RetroDoom, DSDA Doom, PrBoom+, and GzDoom have each one to offer (and Odamex, Zandronum and Zdaemon in the multiplayer), but there are like a million other source ports of Doom, and every day people seems to enjoy create new ones or rescue old ones like MBF, maybe for the fun of making them even. So... do you play frequently in other sourceports? why? Tell me what things I'm missing in Eternity, Woof, Edge, etc..

I use the BFG Edition because of convenience. I just want the game in the original resolution, no vertical mouselook but perfect to use the mouse to look around, and you can change between Doom 1 and 2 very easily. It even has NO OPTIONS except sensitivity, sound, gamepad and fullscreen, which isn't bad, because I HATE changing 100 options in different menus in GzDoom everytime I install it. Chocolate Doom is also clunky with changing between games. 

Also a really good Doom 2 expansion. Censorship isn't that big of a deal for me.

I also got it for 9 cents :)

I'm running Woof when I just need MBF-compatibility (eg Valiant and Eviternity).

I may just use PrBoom+ again, or Eternity, but I dont really need all the options they offer.

I "started" using Woof because it has the same nice feel that Crispy Doom has, but with Boom/MBF support. However, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm actually mostly using Nugget Doom, my fork of Woof. After all, it is my fork with my additions, as negligible and/or weird as said additions might be to other people. It feels like home, if you can call it that.

I have a source port for all of my needs.  Though I also use other folks’ ports.  Namely, Woof (for anything Pooch can’t run), Edge Classic, K8Vavoom and Doom Retro.  Anything else I’ll use my own ports for.

I hate the mouserunning and I can't seem to get rid of it, so I'm using mostly GZDoom

I did use GOG gaming or steam client for a while but now...you got to ask, why?

I use a not so known source-port called "Inter-Doom" (Originally called Russian Doom)

It's basically a better version of Crispy Doom, and it's good for demos.

With Woof, I like how the config options are presented, and the ability to adjust the amount of pitch shifting done to sound effects.

Eternity's main draw for me is the flipped stereo OPL3, which better reflects the original MIDI.

Little things, almost inconsequential, but all ports have those unique personal touches that make them worth exploring.

16 hours ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

I hate the mouserunning and I can't seem to get rid of it, so I'm using mostly GZDoom

Are you referring to vertical mouse movement? You can turn this off in PR+/DSDA and Woof by setting Vertical Sensitivity to 0.

5 minutes ago, Maribo said:

Are you referring to vertical mouse movement? You can turn this off in PR+/DSDA and Woof by setting Vertical Sensitivity to 0.

(Just complementing :-3)

And in Crispy/Chocolate with the Setup Executable (In Crispy you can even bind a key to turn it on and off)

Mouse options -> Allow Vertical Mouse movement

Also in vanilla with NOVERT or the alternative whose name I can't remember right now

In topic. Currently I use Doom Retro and Sprinkled Doom (Which is chocolate Doom with absurdly high limits), although I boot up Prboom-plus whenever Doom Retro has performance issues and if the wad is Boom compatible or anything else than vanilla/limit removing

A gzdoom kiddie over here, but I occasionally use DSDA now, mostly for testing. Toyed with Eternity but did't find it to suit me.

Tried Delphi-Doom recently... It's interesting, but i don't click with it just yet

some times when no one is looking I still use Skulltag. Not only because I like the new weapons/runes and monsters but some WAD require it such as "CDoom64". It was the first one I ever used so it also has a sort of special place in my heart. Still runs like butter today if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, Dub Bag said:

some times when no one is looking I still use Skulltag. Not only because I like the new weapons/runes and monsters but some WAD require it such as "CDoom64". It was the first one I ever used so it also has a sort of special place in my heart. Still runs like butter today if you ask me.

I got into source ports and stuff right around the time Skulltag was being phased out in favor of Zandronum, so I barely used it. But hearing it mentioned is oddly nostalgic.

7 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

hearing it mentioned is oddly nostalgic.

the date is sometime in october of 2006, I'm making a map using the "Hectebus" monster. God I can't believe i remember that.

Also now that I think of it that was the first year I stopped trick or treating was when i was 13 because I didn't want to go out because I was making a WAD and found it much more intesting lol

Woof has been a great alternative to the PrBoom+ forks of PrBoomUM and DSDA-Doom. Pretty much works just like them, and as an added bonus the hardware rendering has the same look as the software rendering so you wouldn't lose that crisp look Doom has. It's been a while since it was last updated, wonder what else they're gonna add and improve upon.

1 hour ago, VoanHead said:

It's been a while since it was last updated, wonder what else they're gonna add and improve upon.

It's been a while since the last release, but they keep pumping out updates every single day.

Things that have been added recently include the Crispy HUD (the status bar, but with transparent background and no mughshot, allowing for a full view of the weapon sprites), gamma adjustment (with negative values if you want the game to look darker), brightmaps, menu adjustments, bug fixes, better compatibility with demos and many more I'm probably missing at this moment.

I remember Doom95 dropping my PC's fps to almost 0. The visual upgrade was big magic at the time.

GZDoom with the old graphics & game-play settings are my favorite these days, it seems to have the least amount of compatibility issues.

9 hours ago, VoanHead said:

Woof has been a great alternative to the PrBoom+ forks of PrBoomUM and DSDA-Doom. Pretty much works just like them, and as an added bonus the hardware rendering has the same look as the software rendering so you wouldn't lose that crisp look Doom has. It's been a while since it was last updated, wonder what else they're gonna add and improve upon.

It's a misconception that Woof has "hardware rendering" - I don't want to repeat myself too much, so I'll just link to my earlier post on the subject:

17 hours ago, LucasRafael132 said:

I use a not so known source-port called "Inter-Doom" (Originally called Russian Doom)

It's basically a better version of Crispy Doom, and it's good for demos.

Inter-Doom is cool, but you should keep in mind that the port makes some changes that make it not completely demo compatible and it shouldn't be used for recording or speedrunning (this is the author's recommendation).

Once in a blue moon I returned to Edge so I could play some Immoral Conduct, but then some glorious soul ported that to GzDoom basically all the way, so now I don't need to have to tolerate Edge.

@Shepardus Thanks for the correction, my bad for getting the details wrong. Regardless, Woof has been a pretty banger sourceport.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:09 AM, VoanHead said:

It's been a while since it was last updated, wonder what else they're gonna add and improve upon.

There have been >150 commits since the latest release and I would have put out another release about 4 weeks ago if I wouldn't have been outpaced by about another dozen new features and fixes while writing the changelog. 

I started regularly using the Eternity Engine a while back for my casual dooming. I'd say it's got a decent middle ground between dsda doom and zdoom in terms of features and quality of life stuff. Plus I love software rendering.