Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sniperfrommars1

Best Monitor for the money

sniperfrommars1 said:

What do you guys feel is the best monitor, for the money, that I could buy for doom 3?

Meh if you want my input... for a smaller crt monitor id say the sony e240 it can be had (reasonably) cheap and has nice display quality, is non shaddow mask, and has good refresh rates@ most res. Its a 17 inch. But it all depends, do you want crt or lcd? and what size? and whats your price range?

It's time for me to get a new monster.
not sure if I should go Flat panel or not.
for me, at least 18" viewable is a must -- but then I do almost everything at 1600x1200.
check the dot pitch -- the resolution is what you are buying.
some monitors can go very high, or do odd things (like display a screen larger than what is viewable (2048x2048 on a 1600x1200 display for example))
You should be able to get a very good monitor for 600 USD.
like almost everything computer related, if you order exactly what you want it will be a bit cheaper than the slim selection at the computer store.
if price is no object, check out the 3D screen and visor that someone posted awhile back :)

Opulent said:

It's time for me to get a new monster.
not sure if I should go Flat panel or not.
for me, at least 18" viewable is a must -- but then I do almost everything at 1600x1200.
check the dot pitch -- the resolution is what you are buying.
some monitors can go very high, or do odd things (like display a screen larger than what is viewable (2048x2048 on a 1600x1200 display for example))
You should be able to get a very good monitor for 600 USD.
like almost everything computer related, if you order exactly what you want it will be a bit cheaper than the slim selection at the computer store.
if price is no object, check out the 3D screen and visor that someone posted awhile back :)

Aren't those things a couple of thousand a piece?? I doubt that's in your average doomers budget...It'd be awesome though.

I'm happy with my new viewsonic A90f+ 19". Great picture, high res support. My 21" burned out finally, was five years old. It was a used monitor anyway, I walked off with it for 200 bucks.

Best 19 inch CRT monitor out there (which I am getting with my top end computer I'm building) is the Sony Flat 19 inch CRT Trinitron Aperture Grille monitor CPD-G410R. You can see is on sony's website. VERY good monitor, without a doubt the best 19 inch gaming monitor out there. I've found it priced at $614 Canadian, whatever that is in American. I think just over $400.

Im looking for, like anything I buy, the best quality for the least money. since a monitor wont really impede my computers performance, im merely looking for a midrange monitor. SOmething quality, thats going to hold up. I think im going to get a sony crt of some sort, just cant peice it out, and wanted your opinions.

Alientank said:

Best 19 inch CRT monitor out there (which I am getting with my top end computer I'm building) is the Sony Flat 19 inch CRT Trinitron Aperture Grille monitor CPD-G410R. You can see is on sony's website. VERY good monitor, without a doubt the best 19 inch gaming monitor out there. I've found it priced at $614 Canadian, whatever that is in American. I think just over $400.

prove it.

I'm perfectly happy with the 17" monitor that came with my Dell back in '99. Hell, it and the old CD-RW are the only parts I HAVEN'T replaced, and I'm planning to get a new CD-RW sometime in the near future.

sniperfrommars1 said:

Im looking for, like anything I buy, the best quality for the least money.

Uh, that's kind of one of the basic laws of economics.

The trinitrons are really nice, but too expensive for me. They had 21" trinitrons at the place I went, they were 600 bucks. With my new computer I may get one, I'll have a plaque embossed on it that says 'Better Than Alientank' ;)

Ubik said:

Uh, that's kind of one of the basic laws of economics.

Which was my point, as with anything I buy? ring a bell. Basically i dont want to spend over four hundred on a frickin monitor

Alientank said:

Read the reviews.

just did, none claimed it to be the best monitor.

I'm getting at least a 21" flat screen monitor but don't know what else to look for. some people mention tings like
-dot per inch
-max display resolution
-and refresh rate

I plan on spending at least a good grand or more on just the monitor.

aca said:

just did, none claimed it to be the best monitor.

Check sharkyforums.com. Trust me it's the best gaming monitor your going to find right now that's CRT.

Trust you, why should I? You could be some mass murder or serial rapist or maybe just some guy at his computer talking about how 1337 his new system is gonna be =]

*sigh* alright fine. Whoever started the thread, you can listen to this guy babble on, or you can listen to someone who's more interested in getting you a good monitor, and is recommending the best.

LCD monitors suck for gaming. The response times on them are horrible and ghosting is a big problem. If your doing office work it's fine but they are a long ways off of being the quality that CRT monitors are. The only advantage they have is their smaller size and weight. They are NOT I repeat NOT a good gaming monitor not even the higher quality ones compare to CRT in quality.

I wanted a lcd monitor to. but its damn hard to find one that supports resolutions of 1600 x 1200, and is well suited for gaming etc. so now I am going to buy a
"Iiyama MA203DT Vision Master Pro 513 22" (CRT)"

I photoshop alot and use high resolutions.. so the bigger the better for your eye

I got this monitor (the 19" CRT one) for £120 ($170ish) with my new PC (same manufacturer). I don't know if it's anywhere near top of the range (98khz, 0.26mm dot pitch) but I have to say I don't think I could want for much more.

I could never justify spending £££s on a monitor.

See if you can find a used or refurbished Dell P780. It's a re-badged Sony Trinitron, 17", with a flat screen (naturally), and it has the absolute best picture quality of any monitor I've used. I've got three of them, because I found them for $89 apiece. I'm not currently using one for my main machine, but that's only because I bought a 22" Sun Microsystems monitor for about $50 on eBay. Heh.

Anyway, I used to outsource for Dell, and they used to offer that monitor mostly with workstations and super-high-end desktops. It's a really nice monitor which can be had pretty cheap these days. In case you're curious, it will do 1600x1200 @ 75hz, or 1280x960 @ 85Hz.

Indeed, lcd are much better for the eyes.
All graphical developers at my work use those things. Guess CRT is not so restricted to a view angle and has much more colors.
LCD are sharper, more precise and they produces less heat.

But the development of LCD goes fast, the story of slow response time has become an an echo from the past.
Very well suited for gaming is this http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/20030109/hitachi-03.html
link leading to a Hitachi CML174SXW.
It's a 17 inch one and look at the price drop: 700$ when the article was written.
6 months later 450$

LCDs are really not worth it on the desktop scene. Laptop LCDs are quite superior to desktop LCDs.

I very much prefer the image quality of my LCD to my 17" ViewSonic CRT, which I've found to be better than most CRT's I've seen. Not to say that the LCD is superior in terms of brightness and quickness, but it's much easier to look at, much nicer on the eyes. Smoother resolutions.

Since hardly anyone seems to find an LCD nearly as nice as mine, I'd advise you to go for a CRT, but since this is months old, that probably doesn't matter.