Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Half-Life 2 vs. Doom 3

The obligatory comparison thread. I can't believe nobody has started this one.

Discuss.

These games are both lies constructed by the american media! There is no Doom3 or Halflife2 within one hundred miles! IT'S ALL LIES!! Allah will smite down valve and id for fabricating such falseities!!

Haha I've seen people saying "Doom3 = 0wned" after seeing the two rather grainy PC Gamer scans that were on PlanetHalfLife for a while ealier. Which is of course bullshit.

I myself think both games will rule. But picking a favourite or a "winner" at the moment is kinda pointless, due to the lack of ingfo on HL2m, and as I haven't played either of them anyway (I don't count the D3 alpha). Is there anything left to say? :P

Half-Life 2 is apparently scheduled for a September 30th release... I wonder which will be out first... I doubt they'll both come out around the same date.

...I just read the entire PC Gamer article and holy crap, That engine fucking rules. They're rendering particles of dust in the air. DUST. not to mention the physics crap they've got going on...

Well, I for one feel that both games will be quite enjoyable and I'll probably be nabbing an extra harddrive to stash Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 on.

I kinda like the way valve (does not) handle the media. No releases of screenshots and info untill the game is done. I think I want both games, and don't give a damn of which is better.

The scan of the PCGamer screenshot instantly gave me the "half life feel". It looks fantastic! Could it be that there is an engine coder better than Carmack?

Better? More ambitious, perhaps. I doubt Half Life 2 will run as well as Doom 3 while doing the same things, but I'm sure it will be more versatile and more capable.

I'm probably gonna go for doom3 but largely to due with my personal taste and enjoyment. When i first got my copy of a doom game (final doom for psx) it took about 2 weeks to complete and i found it enjoyable. Now i've had Half life for 2 years AND I STILL HAVEN'T GOT OFF MY ASS TO FINISH THE GAME, LET ALONE THE MISSION PACKS!!! It certainly isn't because it's rubbish, it's just i haven't enjoyed half-life as much as i've enjoyed doom and so i couldn't be bothered to complete Half life (that and that spider boss takes an insane amount of damage before dying).

Of course i can't make a definate estimate of which game is going to be more enjoyable. But i do wonder if it's going to be the same story as the old doom and half life games.

If HL2 is like HL1 in terms of gameplay, then I'll stay the Hell away from it. I hated the puzzles and I hated the level of frustration too.

I admit that HL2 does look interesting, but I do not understand all those claims that state that it has a better engine than Doom 3 for the life of me.
I do not see any of Doom 3's kickass cinematic lighting effects, like the way the light works against surfaces (character surfaces in particular), nor do the characters look anywhere near as detailed as the Doom 3 monsters - the surfaces on each HL2 monster looks as flat as something from Q3A.
True, the scans are grany, but I've seen grainy shots from Doom 3 that blow these out of the water.
So, could someone point out to me where it's better than Doom 3's engine?

Oh yeah, and don't give me too much tech talk, because as I stated in a different thread about Halo 2, I don't give a crap about engine complexity - merely the outcome and that's what I'm basing my opinions on.

As for the concept: Not a chance, it's more original than the first HL game admittedly, but still. Doom 3 has a much more badass and nightmarish concept to it. The demons in Doom 3 look like something out of a sick nightmare, while the aliens in HL2 look like something we've all seen before in countless movies and games.

HL2 will probably be a better game out of the box, but as for technology and mods and online deathmatch doom3 will win

so overall, 5 years later ill probably be saying doom3 is a better game

HL2: better concept by FAR, technology about equal (but it wont be as immersive or scary, Hanna-babra effect still visible*), game play about equal (probably the same type of puzzles as doom3 will have, except doom3 will have the computer scanner thingies, and half-life they will be "live") and cinematics a little worse, but less frequent and annoying. Probably will be a longer game.

Doom3: better multiplayer, better mods, more fun to do level design, no hanna barbra effect* better graphics even without the special little do-dads the HL2 engine is making

*where you can see whats going to happen and how the environment will react because the prerendered stuff looks way better - in doom3 everything is unified same light same sound same everything

Dark Fox said:

Lets take a patience pill and judge the games WHEN they are both out..

A very wise comment, although I'm not against comparing games. I'll just wait though.

Isn't it a bit hard to compare "subjective and individual expectations" vs "subjective and individual expectations" ?

They're games. Why would they have to be in competition? Unless you can only afford one of them, and anybody who's building a new box for Doom 3 shouldn't be worried about that.

Its almost impossible to compare. Doom is the original concept and the biggest reason why fps games are so popular now. Half life is fun as hell Ill give it that, but its no doom, and never will be. THis owned haxor script kiddy shit gets on my nerves

Shaviro said:

I'm looking forward to *seeing* Half-Life 2 and *playing* Doom 3

I'm more looking forward to seeing Doom 3 and playing Half-Life 2 myself ;) Of course the game I want the most is Thief 3, but I doubt anyone else in these forums feels that way :)

Ill buy half-life2 and theif3. But I'm looking forward to doom3 more tho. It seems like Id has a winner. But it could be a huge let down also.

sniperfrommars1 said:

THis owned haxor script kiddy shit gets on my nerves

That has nothing to do with HL. That has to do with the retards that play it, and more specifically it's mods. Those types of people play all the big online games.... and yes they're annoying as fuck.

AirRaid said:

That has nothing to do with HL. That has to do with the retards that play it, and more specifically it's mods. Those types of people play all the big online games.... and yes they're annoying as fuck.

I do agree with that, I do. I just fuckin hate wannabe eleetzor pozerz. Fuckin scripty nooberz.