Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WARDUST

Warhammer 40.000: Boltgun, an add i've seen

They know their target audience. There's been a resurgence of nostalgia-driven Warhammer 40K lately, and recognizing this, Games Workshop is specifically targeting the kids in the 90s who grew up on "boomer shooters" and remember going to their GW stores at the mall.

The Warhammer universe definitely would have a nice variety of enemy types to fight, with lore that enables military, magic and sci-fi elements. It makes sense for a retro FPS 40k game to be made. Lots of settings and concepts to play with.

Edited by Chezza

I always though that Guncaster's jump and ground-pound attack would be a great fit for a jumppack-equipped assault marines.

27 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Are Space Marines not supposed to move awkwardly and slowly, though?

Hell no, they are superhumanly fast and agile.

12 minutes ago, Pechudin said:

Hell no, they are superhumanly fast and agile.

Wait, maybe I am getting my Warhammer 40K references mixed up.

Are the Space Marines the big dudes in cumbersome armor you play as in Space Hulk? Or are they part of another group I am not familiar with?

I'm not a fan of Warhammer 40k but the fact that they chose the boomer shooter theme is amazing.

15 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

I'm not a fan of Warhammer 40k but the fact that they chose the boomer shooter theme is amazing.

Totally agree. It looks amazing and well tailored

18 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Wait, maybe I am getting my Warhammer 40K references mixed up.

Are the Space Marines the big dudes in cumbersome armor you play as in Space Hulk? Or are they part of another group I am not familiar with?

Probably thinking of the Terminators wearing Dreadnaught armor. 

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

You are thinking of Space Hulk: Deathwing, where they move indeed slowly, called the Terminators.

12 minutes ago, Jello said:

Probably thinking of the Terminators wearing Dreadnaught armor. 

I was going to say that, but then I was reminded of a game literally called Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Warhammer_40000_Space_Marine_cover.jpg

So what is even supposed to be the difference between a Space Marine and a Terminator? Both armors look equally bulky.

46 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I was going to say that, but then I was reminded of a game literally called Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Warhammer_40000_Space_Marine_cover.jpg

So what is even supposed to be the difference between a Space Marine and a Terminator? Both armors look equally bulky.

They both are power armoured wearing super humans, classified as a Space Marine / Astartes.

Standard space marine power armour can still enable Astartes to run and dodge effectively. Terminators wear Tactical Deadnaught Armour which essentially turns them into a human tank and can carry larger weapons. It significantly impacts their movement but in turn much more difficult to take down. And like tanks, their rear often needs to be protected as it's their weakest spot. Their use aren't as diverse but in the right circumstances, they're practically invincible killing machines like in tight hallways in a space hulk.

Terminator armour is also very rare and expensive to manufacture. If Space Marines should be considered rare, Terminators are essentially the 1% of the space marines and not all chapters even have this armour available.

If you have 30 minutes to kill listening to lore, this is my favourite video to listen to on this subject:

14 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine

Speaking of that game, there is a sequel, and the the chief creative officer behind Space Marine II is our favorite Doom boi:

TIM WILLITS

3 hours ago, RDETalus said:

TIM WILLITS

I do not know about that. I mean, if I am not mistaken, it was strongly hinted by Sandy Petersen that he was kind of an asshole.

59 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I do not know about that. I mean, if I am not mistaken, it was strongly hinted by Sandy Petersen that he was kind of an asshole.

David L. Craddock's excellent ebook Rocket Jump is far more explicit about suggesting that Tim Willits is perhaps not the best person.

I do not want to turn this thread into a Tim Willits-bashing one; I am just objecting to describing the guy as our "favorite Doom boi". :S

Besides, working on Doom alone is hardly a guarantee: after all, John Romero seems like a lovely man, but, you know, Daïkatana...

Anyway, I see Space Marine II is also going to be a third-person shooter. I remember playing the original demo and not thinking much of it.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:10 AM, WARDUST said:

Have you seen that? looks cool enough...

It certainly does! I wasn’t a big fan of Deathwing, really liked Hired Gun despite some bumps, and this could be continuing that trend of better and better 40k FPSes.

I’d love a storm bolter in it, though. Deathwing nailed how awesome it was using one of those. May be a bit too big for our main character so I’d understand - I’ll take one multimelta instead, please 😎

@RDETalus I’m not too in-the-know with it’s story, but is that main character wearing Primaris now? Well then kudos to him for passing the rubicon!

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Besides, working on Doom alone is hardly a guarantee: after all, John Romero seems like a lovely man, but, you know, Daïkatana...

Yeah? What is it that you want to suggest beyond the dead obvious?

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I am just objecting to describing the guy as our "favorite Doom boi". :S

It was sarcasm.

WH40K should be a damn amazing theme for a DooM mod, especially a space hulk exploration mod (I guess kinda like aliens, but more dakka).

11 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I am just objecting to describing the guy as our "favorite Doom boi"

yeah, I was being sarcastic. I am aware of the hearsay around Tim

11 hours ago, BGrieber said:

but is that main character wearing Primaris now?

Yeah, apparently. I hope they somehow tie that into the storyline, even though it has zero consequence on the gameplay or the immediate mission of the main character

17 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Both Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever prove mismanagement is often the real killer. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:15 PM, Rudolph said:

No they are supposed to be even faster than doomguy and able to climb walls. Also they tried slow marines before (Space hulk: Deathwing) and god that was a terrible game.

6 hours ago, RDETalus said:

yeah, I was being sarcastic. I am aware of the hearsay around Tim

Ah, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

15 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Also they tried slow marines before (Space hulk: Deathwing) and god that was a terrible game.

Oh, so that game featured Space Marines? I have not played it, but judging by the Space Hulk setting, I assumed the characters had to be Terminators.

8 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Ah, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh, so that game featured Space Marines? I have not played it, but judging by the Space Hulk setting, I assumed the characters had to be Terminators.

They are Terminators. Terminators are the extra special Space Marines that get to wear that armor and cleanse the space hulks. So a Terminator is always a Space Marine, but not all Space Marines are Terminators.

@Jello Ah, I see. Thank you!

To be honest, I do not think playing a Terminator in a first-person shooter is necessarily a bad thing. I am just not sure it would work in a self-proclaimed "boomer shooter", which I know now is not going to be the case in Boltgun. I guess the best way to do it would be to make it a Space Hulk-themed Wolfenstein 3D clone.

Even terminators are fast, much faster than a normal human at least. They are just less flexible than normal marines because of all the armor getting in the way (so can't climb walls or jump long distances to cross chasms).