Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Question on DooM World's idgames archive

Aren't 3DGamers archives automatically mirrored on DW's idgames archives? The reason I ask is that a wad that I uploaded to /incoming (and which Ty moved to /newstuff) on Friday is not in DW's idgames archives; yet, another wad (CiC.zip) that was uploaded around the same time is in the archives. (3DGamers archives were inaccessible for a part of Saturday, and perhaps that was the problem?)

Alternatively, does a wad only enter DW's idgames archive after it's gone through the /newstuff chronicles? I wouldn't think so, but I'm curious.

ReX said:

DW's idgames archives

Are you referring to the search tool that Ling made, or a particular mirror? Ling explains here that the search tool is updated based "a conveniently provided list of all the files on /idgames". Presumably your wad missed the one that cic.zip was included in.

Yes, I was referring to the search tool. And yes, my wad missed getting on the list probably because 3DGamers archives were down. As the search tool is automated, my wad will most likely show up the next time the script checks for new wads. Grazie, Grazza.

And I thought it was done manually. Oh well ReX, I was wrong in saying that.

But if it is done automatically, wouldn't it update the same time(s) each week? (which I don't think it does)

Just FYI, the "convenient" file Ling refers to is a file I create automatically overnight with a full listing of all the files in the archive. It's the "fullsort.gz" file in the idgames root if you want to see/download it yourself. Current size is 234KB gzipped, about 1.3MB unzipped.

It's a Unix text file so it doesn't have an extension and has LF instead of CRLF at the end of lines, but it's got all the files and they're in reverse date order. MS Word and a bunch of other things can read the file, though Notepad thinks it's one long line. Silly Notepad.

Irony: I didn't notice until I just looked at this file that I've got a file in newstuff/ with a date in 2038, and a couple of miscellaneous files with 1/1/80 dates. Sigh. Will fix some time before tomorrow, but I've got pesky real life drinking to do.

Yeah, it's updated whenever I run the scripts to update it, it's not in a cron job though it should be.

I just checked, and the wad has taken its rightful place in DW's idgames archives. Many thanks to Ty for maintaining the idgames archives and to Ling for a very nice service to the DooM community.

Ty Halderman said:

It's a Unix text file so it doesn't have an extension and has LF instead of CRLF at the end of lines, but it's got all the files and they're in reverse date order. MS Word and a bunch of other things can read the file

Yes, with a bit of fiddling in Word you can get it into Excel and do all sorts of fancy things with the data, if you are inclined to do so.

Three cheers for Ty and Ling!