Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Not sure it counts but I watched the Rachel Dolezal documentary on Netflix. It's quite surreal to see her journey and that her 2 natural sons are always going to view themselves as black (mostly because of Americans' idiotically regressive attitudes on race but that's a whole other conversation) when it seems she latched onto that identity due being around many black people during a traumatic part of her family life.

c49c66f0fb01b787c0f0ba8ed7f4aa29.jpg

Yes, Dune, the last one. It’s strange to see another version of a film I already saw a long time ago:

Dune-1984-David-Lynch-2-Affiche-Film-Cin

I did not see Jodorowsky’s version.

Arrival. The movie where Denis Villneuve supposedly came into his own. Seems like just a solid alien invasion movie, but it's actually quite believable and well-done as opposed to, say, Moonfall.

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

Basically just the music videos for Daft Punk's album Discovery, but they have a narrative to them, which is really well done, and it really enhances the experience of the album.

1 hour ago, northivanastan said:

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

Basically just the music videos for Daft Punk's album Discovery, but they have a narrative to them, which is really well done, and it really enhances the experience of the album.

Both Daft Punk's music and Matsumoto's style are eternally nostalgic and futuristic - movie's such a goddamned treasure.

Watched Top Gun Maverick last weekend and the original this weekend as i couldn't remember if i had. Honestly while the original is fine, i think the sequel is actually the better film. Had more emotional weight. The original was at least somewhat hampered by the fact that Tom Cruise looked like 17 when he shot it. The romance also added felt very tacked on.

We also rewatched Jurassic Park last night. Damn that movie still looks fantastic for being effects heavy and nearly 30 years old.

4 hours ago, AlphaSoraKun said:

I saw Sonic 2 (2022) a while back. It was better than the first imo.

I was pleasantly surprised by both of them. And I believe Sonic 2 was the last movie that I watched. I thought they were going to be terrible, and Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik just seemed wrong, but he played the part well. They aren't going to win any awards, but I really think they're the best videogame to movie adaptations that I've ever seen.

And the first Sonic, if I recall, was plagued by negative feedback from test audiences, and they went back and retooled a bunch of it. And it actually turned out decent. They're cute, fun romps, good for the kids, and enjoyable enough for adults who still have some fond memories of Sonic. And seeing Sonic swallow an air bubble to restore his breath brought back many cursed memories from my childhood. And that music when you're about to drown... the stuff of nightmares.

3 hours ago, Jello said:

I was pleasantly surprised by both of them. And I believe Sonic 2 was the last movie that I watched. I thought they were going to be terrible, and Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik just seemed wrong, but he played the part well. They aren't going to win any awards, but I really think they're the best videogame to movie adaptations that I've ever seen.

Yeah they were both fun. I was particularly impressed by Idris Elba in Sonic 2. He added gravitas and general badassery to a pinkish red mammal. That is not easy to do.

A magnificent turkish gonzo take on Star Trek. Makes relentless fun of most 60s and 70s cheesy sci-fi. Reccomended. Pretty sure you need no knowledge ot turkish to get most of its humor. 

It's been pretty long time I've wrote something here (mostly because every Saturday i watch lots of movies on Netflix or Amazon prime with my dad) but here's a list:

• Oh My God! (2017): a mockumentary in the style of "Look who's back", I've expected a much more sillier movie but... It's just ok, neither that great fun, have some anti-abortion propaganda as well, magnificent. My father found it "demential", too bad that it's not that demential for me
  •  Welcome to Raccoon City (2021): Latest movie based upon the Resident Evil franchise, and way more based upon the original first two chapters of the saga
    Spoiler

There's also what i think is the Nemesis near the end of the movie, but I'm not totally sure 

the movie takes the story from original games pretty seriously and they are just like the game (or at least the parts of the game i remember, it's been since my adolescence i didn't play that games!), but some of the characters aren't changed in their appearance? Especially Leon S. Kennedy hair color and attitude, Jane Valentine is black WTF? Btw good zombie flick, pretty enjoyable. My father didn't like it.

• Bomber (1982): Watched pieces of it last evening, it's not a bad movie, but it's a fun one. I mean, it's not Trinity but is still enjoyable. Fun fights and destruction parts near the end. The rope fight is awesome to watch, i mean who could think that exist a clandestine bet circle of beefy mf's that bet their destiny on rope fights in a dismissed boat? Man, that's hardcore. Imagine this shit redone with Vin Diesel, The Rock and Jason Statham nowadays! And Adam Sandler making faces and one-line jokes as commentary of... everything in the movie! Best movie of the year at the box office! A fun trivia: the song "Fantasy" by Oliver Onions, used as a theme for this movie, it's a revision of a song called "Galaxy's by the same band that's been used as the opening/ending for the anime Galaxy Express 999 here in Italy and in Spain as the theme for another 80s anime starring D'Artagnan and the musketeers as anthropomorphic dogs. Yeah, the 80s are really wild times.

Downrange a movie on Shudder about these teens who are stalked by a mysterious sniper with the most ridiculous getup. It was definitely terrifying and doesn't quite end how you'd expect.

Natural Born Killers

Feels a lot like a student film, with the general weirdness and experimentalism that entails, but with the budget of a major Hollywood release. They had pretty good timing releasing a critique of the media and their obsession with milking every detail of any violent crime for ratings just as the O.J Simpson trial was starting, and just as Waco was in recent memory (which both appear in the ending), but yeah, good picture, not my personal favourite of Stone, I thought they could've cut out a lot of content in the second half, and I can certainly see how many people would think he went too far with the psychedelic editing, but it was pretty good. 

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring. I already finished the Hobbit trilogy. Despite the CGI being a noticeable step-down from the Hobbit, since the Hobbit came second and all, this was a really exciting movie and I can't wait to start The Two Towers tomorrow.

Protip: The Fellowship of the Ring is between The Hobbit and The Two Towers.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:37 AM, ducon said:

Protip: The Fellowship of the Ring is between The Hobbit and The Two Towers.

I know. The Hobbit trilogy came out after LOTR, though, right?

3 hours ago, Archfiend said:

I know. The Hobbit trilogy came out after LOTR, though, right?

Yes it did, quite awhile after. Return of the King was released in 2003, An Unexpected Journey was 2012. I think Ducon just misunderstood you.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is far better than The Hobbit in my opinion though. I never even watched the third Hobbit movie... maybe I should at some point, but I think they could've done the whole thing in one movie, two tops. There's no reason a three hundred page book needed three movies.

44 minutes ago, Jello said:

Yes it did, quite awhile after. Return of the King was released in 2003, An Unexpected Journey was 2012. I think Ducon just misunderstood you.

Or I just joked.

11 hours ago, Jello said:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is far better than The Hobbit in my opinion though. I never even watched the third Hobbit movie... maybe I should at some point, but I think they could've done the whole thing in one movie, two tops. There's no reason a three hundred page book needed three movies.

I thought the third movie was great. I loved The Hobbit as a whole, since it was a bit more focused on the friendships between the main characters, though LOTR is definitely much more action-packed and the fight choreography is great.

the most recent movie i watched was Splice (2009)

i was really intriged by the creature designs in this movie as a teenager but never got around to watching it. i finally decided to track it down in an attempt to wash down the bad taste alien covenant left we with. The first half of the movie is filled with unintentionally funny moments that clash with the serious tone the filmakers are going for. The second half of the movie has a lot of really upsetting stuff that is completely unearned and takes on a really weird judgy tone that i think says more about the moviemakers than the characters they're trying to shock you with.

Just watched Ouija: Origin of Evil last night with my wife. We loved it! Now, I just realized it's a sequel to Ouija from 2014. Need to see the first one now. I can say that not knowing it was a sequel, it was written in a way where the story works fine by itself.

Rawhead Rex. Based off a Clive Barker story, you'll know it'll be good (except if its the Midnight Meat Train, which felt too much like some slasher derivative).

On 5/23/2022 at 1:48 PM, ducon said:

Yes, Dune, the last one. It’s strange to see another version of a film I already saw a long time ago:

Dune-1984-David-Lynch-2-Affiche-Film-Cin

I did not see Jodorowsky’s version.

How was the new Dune? About to DL it right now thx for reminding me of it.  Better or worse than the original?  Did they try to follow the book(s) closer with this one?  I paint/play warhammer40k so I feel like I'm doing a disservice not checking it out!

I read the book about 25 years ago, so I don’t remember if it’s close to it or not. Beware, it’s the part of two.

I recently decided to upgrade my folk's TV-equipment, they can now watch films in 4K and the first film we saw (at home) in 4K was:

I thought it was a good movie, can't wait for part two which I intend to see in cinema. I didn't compare it to the 1984 film or the 2000 miniseries nor did I see either before watching this version. I don't think that any version is comparable since they follow the same story.

As for the technical aspect: it definitely looks good in 4K and makes good use of the possibilities of the H265 codec. What is dark, is truly dark with enough details to make the dark sections still see-able. If you compare it to the full HD (H264) version, yeah you'll notice. The only downside I experience, is that the 4K version wasn't the IMAX version (or brought down to 1.78:1) which I recommend, is the must-see version over the cinema version (2.40:1) . . .

I looked at The sea beast. Not bad even if I guessed main part of the story.

the-sea-beast-2022.jpg?fit=1000,610&ssl=

Personal Shopper. a squandered chance, for the most part. As many modern films do, builds up brilliantly then wraps up in an unsatisfying rush.