Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Lost Episodes of Doom

I just picked up a shrink-wrapped copy of "The Lost Episodes of Doom" book complete, of course, with the disc of levels and DEU and more for $5.99 at a gaming store in Green Bay. Did I get shafted?

I made patch for that wad, tell me if you are interested

Job said:

Did I get shafted?

Not if you're a collector. (The real cost to the publisher was in the book -- the diskette was practically a give-away.) The levels are not bad, for being that old. One thing I like is that they have the original DooM feeling to them. So from the standpoint of pure nostalgia, I'd say you did pretty good.

Vegeta said:

I made patch for that wad, tell me if you are interested

What does the patch do? I'd be interested in a copy if it fixes bugs (none of which I remember from when I played it years ago), or if it improves the game.

Use3D said:

Dang I want it. At least the levels.

Would it be illegal if I got Use3D the wads from that disk (or at least one or two of them)? Or do I have to ask the makers of the wads if I want to distribute them, non-profit of course? I'll post them somewhere if it's not warezing.

Job said:

Would it be illegal if I got Use3D the wads from that disk (or at least one or two of them)? Or do I have to ask the makers of the wads if I want to distribute them, non-profit of course? I'll post them somewhere if it's not warezing.

I'm not sure if it would be or not, but to be on the safe side: dont post it here.

The patch that I made..

-Add a new Titlepic, and Endpics (that really fit with the game)
-Add some little modifications to the final levels of each episode, making them real end boss battles.

I don't know if this is ilegal or not, but If some webmaster wants a copy of the original wad (Jptr_v40 intact), e-mail me at vegeta@tomail.com.ar

--------
Ps: if this is ilegal, please, delete my post, but don't bann me, I have enought with that "I POST WAREZ" ;-)

Alternatively, I too have a copy to share. Should anyone be interested, please contact me via private message. These maps, though old, are gems that deserve to be shared and thus seen.

Admittedly these maps are still commercially available -- a cursory scan of amazon.com reveals such statement as fact, and I'm sure that eBay too would agree -- and are well worth the purchase, not only for the maps but for the book as well. "The Lost Episodes of Doom" serves as a real piece of DOOM nostalgia, and would act as the cornerstone in any interested individual's collection.

Oldstuff,
M.

The_Aeromaster said:

fuck me, did u get paid to write that advertisement?

I humbly decline your request. I've no knowledge of who's been traipsing down your anal staircase, and partaking in the act of sodomy with you would bring me no pleasure and, more likely than no, bring you pain.

In regards to your baseless accusation, my previous post was not an advertisement. Rather, it was a pointer for any parties interested in purchasing the Lost Levels of DOOM set, replete with both book and maps.

Finally, in regards to your query, I did not get paid to write my previous post. The only reward gained was the satisfaction of being able to share something that I very much value.

Oldstuff,
M.

NiGHTMARE said:

I hope for your sake that a moderator doesn't see this thread.

why? is the lost episodes of doom actually licensed by id? i figure if it wasn't there wouldn't be any reason not to distribute it.

M8. said:

I humbly decline your request. I've no knowledge of who's been traipsing down your anal staircase, and partaking in the act of sodomy with you would bring me no pleasure and, more likely than no, bring you pain.

In regards to your baseless accusation, my previous post was not an advertisement. Rather, it was a pointer for any parties interested in purchasing the Lost Levels of DOOM set, replete with both book and maps.

Finally, in regards to your query, I did not get paid to write my previous post. The only reward gained was the satisfaction of being able to share something that I very much value.

To those still following this thread, should anyone be interested in obtaining a copy of the Lost Levels of DOOM episodes, my offer of sharing these gems still stands -- they are but a private message away, and are well-worth the playing.

Oldstuff,
M.

i hope ur not serious, cause my post was loaded with sarcasm...

well, commercial product or not, was it their right to distribute? i mean, wouldn't something like d!zone be legal to distribute as it would be an illegal thing to put for sale in the first place? i was under the impression you had to license something with id before selling it, and am curious as to whether or not lost levels received permission from id or that it was perhaps just allowed because it wasn't solely a CD, but a book and CD combo.

i just downloa- err, bought a copy of lost levels. pretty good stuff for something of that vintage :) probably too old for some people's tastes though.

The levels have a poor detail (considering that it's a comercial wad), but the gameplay is very nice.

I allways wished to see inside the book, I have a nice scanned version of the cover, but I have no idea what the back and inside looks like.

It is some kind of strategy guide, but I'd love to see it. Does someone know if there is a downloadable version? I suppose that not..

Legal or not, who cares? Legal matters hardly come into play regarding DOOM add-ons. It's a matter of respecting the WAD author (and thus each other.) If the WAD's TXT says "distriture freely" it's OK to redistribute it, if it says something like "do not distribute" or that it's an exclusive for the book it came with you leave it alone. Questions related to whether or not DOOM add-ons are legal as commecial products are between id and whoever publishes them, and are by no means an excuse for stepping over another WAD author's copyright requests.

I have it, and only the first episode and half of the second are halfway decent. The rest is tripe. It's not worth going through the trouble for, if you ask me. But nobody did.

M8. said:

I've no knowledge of who's been traipsing down your anal staircase...B]

Put just one foot on the staircase
And the next step you're down here on this face

myk said:Legal or not, who cares? Legal matters hardly come into play regarding DOOM add-ons. It's a matter of respecting the WAD author (and thus each other.)

Yes, always respect the Wadauthor.

CyRaptor said:

I have it, and only the first episode and half of the second are halfway decent. The rest is tripe. It's not worth going through the trouble for, if you ask me. But nobody did.

heh, i haven't got that far, but what a coincidence.. one author made the first epsiode and half of the second, and the other made the second of ep2 and all of ep3... coincidence? ;)

The author you are talking about was hired by id to make six of the Master Levels.

Anyway, The Master Levels for DOOM II are FAAAAR better than The Lost Episodes of DOOM

Vegeta said:

The author you are talking about was hired by id to make six of the Master Levels.

No, they're saying the last lot of levels (which were made by Robert Carter) are crap, not the first lot (made by Christian Klie, who did indeed contribute to the Master Levels).

BTW, and I could be wrong here, I believe that most if not all of Klie's Lost Episodes levels are legally available in chrisk.wad (Doom 1) / bf_thud!.wad (Doom 2).

I used to own it, I gave it to a charity shop along with Blood and Malice. First two episodes are pretty good.

CyRaptor said:

only the first episode and half of the second are halfway decent. The rest is tripe.

God, you're not kidding. The first half of the maps are fairly good and interesting, and the rest... well, unless you like horribly-textured mazes the size of your average continent, with keys placed ENTIRELY at random and about five monsters per square mile, stay away from the last half. The placement of the Cyberdemon at the end of E2M8, crammed in a small room with an invulnerability right at the entrance, is downright fucking criminal.

it would NOT be a crime to distribute those levels! the reason is the the wads them selves are basicaly a form of freeware. i dont even understand why hacX was a 'commercail TC'

the only small issue might be additional textures that are copyrighted. however i dout that they are, who the hell(besides the original game maker) would go to the trouble of placeing a copyright on a doom texture anyway??

the book is not free to release or any other software on the disk, like any front ends(exclude batch files)

also the levels are mostlikly released just in a way forgotten. i am 99.999999% sure it is safe to release them