Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BomberBlur07

How do people enjoy hard maps?

On my way to beat Doom 1 on UV, the first two maps of E4 wrecked me. They are super grindy, super hard and not fun at all. I always get enraged when I play these maps. Yet, many of the "good" wads out there are super hard and grindy. I don't get it. How do people even enjoy this shit? This can also apply to other games as well, I never liked the Souls games for example. (Off topic, I miss the mindless approach late 2000s, early 2010s games took. I wish they did that type of games again.)

How do people even enjoy these kinds of hard maps?

Edited by BomberBlur07

First two maps of E4 are pretty unfair and almost as hard as the ones in Plutonia Experiment. I’d recommend you to try out others before playing them.

Difficult maps are only fun when you’re experienced enough.

They are fun because of grinding, if you grind you can flex your grindings to become the best player, also they are fun because pain is not lame, training does give fun.

I know E4 maps are pretty hard and i don't really wanna play them again, however be prepared for stuff like plutonia, or maybe even TNT MAP07

You play more, you get better. Simple as that. You'll get better the more you play as long as you keep challenging yourself.

Episode 4 isn't really meant to be played right after Doom 1. You should move on to Doom 2, then come back afterwards. Episode 4 was only added later after Doom 2 had already come out.

2 hours ago, BomberBlur07 said:

Yet, many of the "good" wads out there are super hard and grindy

Whenever someone makes this type of statement, it is heaviliy contingent on:

a) what a specific player finds fun (sufficiently covered by @baja blast rd.'s post)

b) where their skill falls relative to the map's challenge

image.png.463ef51ec31cc3b32b145b08c671bb5f.png

(bottom right - Content - is often dubbed Relaxation)

In order to have the most fun possible, the map needs to match both your preferences and your skills. By playing more and more Doom you will not only eventually improve and form your preferences more clearly, but hopefully also learn to quickly distinguish whether the map is a good fit for "the you right now".

8 minutes ago, Snaxalotl said:

Its simple, I like my maps how I like my... Nevermind.

Haaaaaaaaaahahahaha

3 hours ago, BomberBlur07 said:

On my way to beat Doom 1 on UV, the first two maps of E4 wrecked me. They are super grindy, super hard and not fun at all. I always get enraged when I play these maps. Yet, many of the "good" wads out there are super hard and grindy. I don't get it. How do people even enjoy this shit? This can also apply to other games as well, I never liked the Souls games for example. (Off topic, I miss the mindless approach late 2000s, early 2010s games took. I wish they did that type of games again.)

How do people even enjoy these kinds of hard maps?

For some, going into a level blind on one of the harder difficulties is asking for trouble. Good levels are enjoyable regardless of difficulty, and people can work their way towards the harder settings for a level after getting comfortable with an easier difficulty. The spawns for enemies and items can also be tied to the difficulty settings, for E4M1 in particular I recall it really limiting the health pickups on Ultra Violence.

Also how is E4M1 grindy?! That map takes like 10 minutes, even as a kid who could barely pass the map with 5% health I never found it what I'd call a "grind", it's far too short for such a label..

Just now, Doomkid said:

Very carefully

heh

No really, it's just a difference in skill. I'm not that great at Doom - I can beat the IWADs with ease but anything harder than say, Community Chest or Hell Revealed II is definitely out of my range on Ultra Violence. There's no shame in playing the Startdate wads by Ribbiks or other more modern sets on a lower skill. The skill feature exists for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Also how is E4M1 grindy?! That map takes like 10 minutes, even as a kid who could barely pass the map with 5% health I never found it what I'd call a "grind", it's far too short for such a label..

yeah wtf. Ten minutes is a long session heh

32 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Try a Tyson run!

8 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Also, if you want a game that requires zero cognitive activity, I hear path of exile is pretty good...

How about Raid: Shadow Legends? That piece of shit plays itself and doesn't need player input at all!

Obviously no one is playing harder maps, and if you hear someone saying they do enjoy some XYZ hard map, they are simply pretending. Btw, nobody has ever beaten E4M1/E4M2 before.

The same applies to Dark Souls.

I like hard maps, when you beat it you feel an unnecessary of accomplishment. Yesterday me and my friends re did Episode 4 together (Brutal Doom Nightmare) and we had a blast. 

idk how to describe it but i guess it all comes down to a feeling of accomplishment after overcoming a really difficult map.

besides, playing harder and harder maps and wads tend to make you approach and recognize different fights and combat scenarios accordingly and strive to use every resource you have whether its ammo/infighting/space to overcome any hurdles to your path to achieving DoomGod-dom. 

besides, im a save scummer so dying doesnt really matter to me lmao 

Why do people feel the need to make stupid and nonsensical posts like this one? First there was a post about why some players play saveless (implying they UV max every single map they play) and now this. It's like asking 'how do people enjoy cheese when I myself hate this shit?'.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:00 AM, Snaxalotl said:

Its simple, I like my maps how I like my... Nevermind.

yeah, it's fine, me too