Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suitepee

The DWIronman League dies to: Man On The Moon

ironman.png.fe1ac096f27ebb1a6e1a10f74d0f7617.png

"If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon. If you believed there's nothing up his sleeve, then nothing is cool." - REM

The yearly leaderboard

Standard leaderboard:

• @Master Medi SURVIVED in 59:15 (100%) : Looks like @ginc has some company after all. No moon rock left untouched, no mercy to demons given, and all in under an hour.
  • @Bdubzzz 62.28% : The Archvile in the BFG fight was only a mere distraction to the terror of......two space Imps! By the grace of Tarakan!
  • @WH-Wilou84 58.7% : Four keys acquired, but alas finished off by an Imp in the green key area. "C'est ce qui se passe".
  • @BoxY 43.99% : In space, nobody can hear you be hopelessly cornered by a Hell Knight in yellow key territory. At least they were quite happy to die.
  • @Anima Zero 30.88% : A resident archvile helps tuck in Anima Zero on a one-way trip to slumberland after midnight.
  • @Vince Vega 28.26% : They didn't want the demons to feel bad for having a Megasphere anyway. Rocketed half his health away and a Baron did the rest.
  • @Beginner 28.07% : Doom marine too dummy THICC to get past equally dummy THICC Mancubus.
  • @Dragonfly 26.89% : They didn't really make much use of that Megasphere anyway. Slapped down by an airlock with health in a secret fight.
  • @LadyMistDragon 26.09% : Took the black hole where she thought she was on the red key route, but actually died to an Imp at the end of the blue key route instead.
  • @mhrz 24.62% : Hell Knight sandwiches don't just happen in the Megasphere fight after all; this one took place in blue key country.
  • @ginc 23.35% : That's ginc trapped in the corner, that's ginc in the Archvile spotlight, losing their health points...
  • @Pseudonaut 21.36% : The Pinky horde shows up the Revenant horde on how to deal with a lone space marine in red card country.
  • @NaZa 19.12% : Press switch, have Archvile hide behind millions of Revenants in blue key country. Seriously spanked by a Revenant missle in the ensuing chaos.
  • @dt_ 17.07% : A Category 1.5 painful space Imp death after doing well in the yellow box encounter.
  • @Maribo 16.24% : The last entry of the month gets flamed by an Archvile in yellow key town to close things out.
  • @DeathwingDuck 14.71% : "How am I alive?" Famous last words before being hit by a Revenant swerveball in red key country.
  • @gabirupee 14.26% : At least he won the secret Megasphere fight! Burnt by allegedly unintelligent Mancubi.
  • @SCF 12.79% : "Got blindsided by a revenant missile and immediately lost focus and killed myself." Saves me having to write an obituary up, thanks!
  • @Shepardus 12.72% : Pinky to their left, Pinky to their right, yet it was a cruel Archvile that finished them off.
  • @Crusader No Regret 10.71% : This did indeed not end well. 28 minutes of patient progress ruined by a Hell Knight sandwich.
  • @SuyaSS 9.78% : Surprised by a surprise Revenant in the surprise switch trap. What a surprise!
  • @NoisyVelvet 9.08% : The right person in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. This also applies to opportunistic chaingunners.
  • @DisgruntledPorcupine 8.95% : He thought he'd survived the worst of that Megasphere fight, but a pair of asshole Revenants had other ideas.
  • @ClumsyCryptid 8.06% : They were happy to pay the "pick up the goodies" tax on that Megasphere anyway. Another notch for a cornering Hell Knight.
  • @Austinado 7.86% : He's done, he's dead, this was stupid. Pinged by a Revenant missle.
  • @Suitepee 7.8% : I really shouldn't have gone for that Megasphere anyway. Sandwiched by a Hell Knight.
  • @Andromeda 7.74% : They didn't want the fight around the Megasphere to be relatively easy anyway. Pureed into a space Baron & Hell Knight sandwich.
  • @Peccatum Mihzamiz 7.61% : They didn't want to pick up the Megasphere until 2% health anyway. Sadly died shortly afterwards to a combo of their own rocket and a passing Hell Knight.
  • @Worriedidiot 6.97% : Shot in the back by a pesky shotgunner whilst dealing with Mancubi.
  • @Mikolah 6.32% : They didn't really want that Megasphere anyway. Mowed down by a merciless chaingunner.
  • @head_cannon 4.99% : He leaped down the Megasphere pit to die, although being sandwiched by Hell Knights was potentially optional.
  • @Pegleg 3.96% : Scratched to death by an Imp. Some infighting may have occurred after.

Prepared leaderboard:

• @ginc SURVIVED in 34:19 (83.11%) : Found his answers from the great beyond upon a second visitation; will he stand alone as the only survivor this month? 
  • @Yugiboy85 38.3% : "Comme on fait son lit, on se couche". Smacked by a Revenant missle on his own red card fight. Ha ha ha!

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In June 2022 the Ironman League will take a trip to the moon for @Yugiboy85's follow up to 'Travelling to the moon', originally released in 2018 but updated in 2021. It won a 2018 runner up prize in that year's Cacowards, and this single map will provide a sizeable but fair challenge to everyone following on from last month's megawad trawl.

Best of luck to everyone, I look forward to writing up the obituaries. (Yes, I do hope @Yugiboy85 submits an entry this month!)

Here's @Major Arlene's write up on the wad for the 2018 Cacoward runner-up prize in terms of describing this month's pick:

"Man on the Moon, the sequel to Traveling to the Moon, continues the story of the hope to explore space without getting ripped in half or filled with bullets from demonic presences still filling every crevice you poke your gun into.

While the map boasts over a thousand monsters in the normal course of its play, it avoids the frustration of excessiveness by pacing each fight in interesting and unexpected ways. All the while, new areas are opened up to explore, along with more monsters and a shiny new weapon or two, not to mention a possibly nasty surprise - or ten - waiting for the right moment to catch you.

The final bridge reveals a tower that seems to hold the switch to the exit. Instead, it’s a bum-rush descent into the cold core of the moon, all while hellspawn try to stop you, including some baddies plucked from the Realm667 bestiary.

Yugiboy85 does an excellent job of combining crisp aesthetic with some of the most down-and-dirty, brutal fighting anyone could ask for. We’ve gone to the moon now; what’s next?"

Essential information:

• Doom II: Hell on Earth (doom2.wad).
  • Compatibility level 11, or "MBF (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 1 map. (map 01)
  • Time estimate: 45 minutes to an hour.
  • DOWNLOAD the 2021 version, NOT the earlier 2018 release!!!!

>Download Man On the Moon (2021 edition): https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/motm

> prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file MOTM_21.wad -complevel 11 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp

Rules:

Reveal hidden contents

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Vactus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP19: Interstellar Sickness and MAP20: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Sawdust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: an_mutt)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05- The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

Edited by Suitepee

Oh no 😅

Well, i guess i have to put an entry this month lol. It would not be fair i guess. 

Obviously, it will be a blind run.

Good luck everyone 

Btw, it's complevel 11, not 9. Granted, i dont think that will be gamebreaking, it's just that the boss will be missing an mbf specific codepointer 

Never played this. Hope it's a nice, long trek :)

Here's the one you've been waiting for. 

Obviously, NOT A BLIND RUN lol

(I guess it would fall under prepared, category well, does map creator work?)

ybmotm.zip

Spoiler

YES, I died. You can all laugh at me all you want haha. I did have fun though :D 

I panicked at the red card encounter. Oh well. 

kills: 599/1564

image.png.a721f3705a3f84a4de9926fba59f7e1a.png

Category 2, played it once or twice around release; DAMN GOOD map.

I died because I went on a mad scamble to find health, ended up partaking in a secret fight I wasn't prepared for. 😅 

Edited by Dragonfly

Was quite glad it was over, this is not my cup of tea at all. 299 kills, category 1.

Spoiler

Seriously. Press switch, have millions of enemies at every given instance revealed moment (barring one switch revealing a single hell knight...). The beginning of the map was not engaging at all. Might have been due to me sleeping for four hours today but it just got tiring after a while. Not to mention that throwing an archvile with 0 immediate cover is just absolute bullshit imo. Glad it was over but at the same time not satisfied with the result, might be heading for the bottom half. 

It's nice to see backtracking punished indeed, I can't complain, but to me it's still bullshit. Sorry if the comments are harsh, Yugiboy85. Maybe it plays better outside of the Ironman format and I might give it a shot after a sleep longer than 8 hours.

dwironman_jun22_naza.zip

NightTerror won last month - good stuff, congratulations! Sad to see nobody making it all the way through, but it is what it is. The final stretch was unforgiving in every way and it was fun to see all the ways the runners tackled it and admittedly got screwed, but not through their fault. Beginner and Master Medi also delivered really competitive runs, as well as the MAP28 casualties (dt_, Bdubzzz and ginc). Yet another marked performance from Austinado and head_cannon as well.

Year-wise, Bdubzzz stays first and opens up a nice safety net to Maribo in 2nd. Beginner jumps a few places as well while I sadly drop out of the Top 3 where I realistically do not belong. There's a big battle for 2nd brewing as everyone from 2nd to 7th is really close to each other. Top 10 indeed did not change as I projected last month though ginc and NightTerror are really, really close to it now and are looking to get into it if someone from the lower Top 10 slips up... or if they keep being this good. As for Beginner and Bdubzzz doing well... if one looks at the Post-Alfonzo sheet, they'll see virtually nothing is separating them in 1ST and 2ND overall, which is insane. Going for longer? Hopefully!

EDIT: Just noticed I won the prepared category last month. Nice... I mean, it helps when you're the only one to have supplied a run for it, but it still means something. First "victory" since 2019. Maybe that'll give me a motivational boost for Ironeagle this month!

Edited by NaZa : LAST MONTH* wow. good stuff NaZa.

Space Marine Doomguy in some slaughter-lite, yeah yeah yeah yeah.

On a moon base where the pinkies bite, yeah yeah yeah yeah.

Ambushed by skellies for the blue key fight, yeah yeah yeah yeah.

Cornered by arch-viles 'cause he wasn't too bright, yeah yeah yeah yeah.

Doomguy did you hear about this WAD? Tell me do you rocket your face?

Doomguy are we goofing on Valiant? The episode in space...

Category 1 (fully blind). 367/1572 kills (1205 remaining).

Means of death: Pinned down by horde of Hell Knights and zapped by an Arch-vile.

Spoiler

If this map is a 3-prong key hunt, then I think I chose the blue path first.

Got trolled by an inviso powerup (most mappers put them in to be helpful but this one didn't do shit lol), sprung an ambush with Revenants and at least one Vile behind me, ran ahead into a room full of Hell Knights, got cornered at the bottom of an elevator shaft when there were more monsters than I anticipated and eventually got zapped by one of the Viles.

In hindsight, maybe I should have stayed in the switch area (ie. not run past the spider), but with an unknown number of Revenants+Arch-vile(s) behind me, shit teleporting in to the left of me, and no plasma gun to clear out things at point blank, I decided to take my chances in an unknown room.

If the rest of the map is similar, its going to be a fun one to play through but some of those ambushes are going to be tough on blind runs if you aren't stacked. Good luck to the other runners!

Video here. 720p60 should be ready soon.

Edited by ginc

Category 1, 483/1654 kills.

How I didn't die at that cyber en route to the red key I don't know.

Oh, and recording at midnight before going to bed.  That's how I make boneheaded decisions and get a ride on the fabled arch-vile express train to deathsville.

DWIronman_MOTM_AnimaZero.zip

Ironman on Moon? More likely than you think!

[1] Here's my terrible attempt:

man_on_moonss.zip

Got surprised by the switch fight. (Guess which one?)

Edited by SuyaSS

Category 1 demo.

I just wanted to squeeze past some enemies but the game said "No >:)".

Category I (heard, never played), de-germetized at 29:25 with 442/1564 MotMs (monsters on the Moon lol), 2/11 SotMs.

Yeah, why not eat own rocket when there are 666 fireballs flying towards you per second, it's much more fun to dodge them at 100 HP than at 200 :)

Stupid and unnecessary death and bad projectile management, I continued playing from this demo after the recording and went much further with no struggle =\ Will see if I'll dedicate some time this month to record a survival.

Genius secrets, not genius me failing miserably to find them :))00

dvvmotm2.zip

Edited by Vince Vega

Here goes nothing.....

Category: 2

Dead at 22:04

Kills 504/1564

I dunno how I realized I was taking the red path accidentally. I mostly remember this, but there were some surprising black holes. Maybe I was just worst though.

lmd_ironmoon.zip

Cat 1, dead with 688/1564 at 32:56. The map is decent but most of the demo is just me hopelessly looking for progression so I was honestly kind of happy to die at that point.

dwim-bx-motm.lmp

Cat 1,

I got stuck.. Megasphere and initial plasmagun was too enticing. Skipped a couple of months because of life events.

This was a fun map, so I did some practicing in order to survive single segment and submit a run for the Prepared category.

Completed in 34:19. Video here:

Spoiler

I mostly prioritized safety on this run, but I did try go fast when I felt it was safe. Key order was blue -> red -> yellow and the BFG section was skipped. Almost died a few times on the way to the yellow key, that area is such a clusterfuck and gave me loads of trouble, but I left it for last so I could just bail out and go to the final area without having to kill all the monsters. Luring the cyber and archvile into that canyon was not part of the plan lol, I was pretty close to getting trapped and zapped. Took it a bit slower in the final stretch.

Edited by ginc

My shamefull run.

Category: 2

Dead : At 07:04:47| 123/1564 kills

Video starts automatic at 2:33:58

Category 1. Died about 17-18 minutes in.

Nearly died earlier than that but made a decent recovery.

Demo recording is available here: DWIL_MOTM_deathwing-duck.rar.

Past broadcast also available here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1500211478

Made the Highlight so it's easier to find: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1500434054

Edited by DeathwingDuck : Added Highlight Video

Category: 1

Kills: 62/1564 (there was some infighting following my demise, but I was only breathing for 62 of the deaths)

Time of death: 7:21

dwi_pegleg_motm21_category1.zip

This map was well-made, looked good, and the encounters seemed well though out. At least early on, there seemed plenty of ammo, and a fair amount of health. The map was also fun to play, at least it was for the brief time I was playing it. I may actually be able to tackle it again this month, since there's still over 2 weeks left of June, as opposed to last month, when I started my run at 11 PM on May 31st. (Granted, it ended a few minutes later, but that's beside the point.)

Blind type 1 attempt on the highest difficulty.  This can't end well...

At least I'm not last place; that's something.  168 kills I believe with no archvile resurrections to account for given that I carked it without ever seeing one.

dsda-doom -complevel 11

dwiron_motm_cnr.zip

DEAD

Category 1.5 (I played the first couple rooms of it a while ago, I think)

Kills: 142/1564 (09.08%)

Time of Death: 9:12

noisy_MOTM_21_ironman.zip

I wish I had the right weapon out in time for this trap, it's one of those fights where weapon choice matters a lot.  Also, that backend chaingunner that finished me off had good pathing.  It didn't waste any time and sliding out from that back area, past the hell-knights, to nab the kill. 

Good map choice for the ironman, though