Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

How do you beat that Gonarch thing in HL

And i want the TRUTH! All the websites i've tried to find have been telling porkies.

I'm OK fighting that thing up to the point where the Goriach jumps into a tunnel that leads to a small chamber, then it just sits there. Some people say that shooting it makes it go into the chamber. Rubbish! I tried that but just keep getting killed. Others say go into the chamber use EGON to make it drop. Bullshit! I used up all my egon ammo and it still won't drop. And i've also tried to approach of plugging it with everything i got when it is standing at the edge. I used up ALL my ammo for everygun except for bug shooting thing (which has infinate capacity), and yes i've been aiming at that egg patch. Furthermore the bug gun doesn't seem to do didly squat.

So EXACTLY do beat it? Does it really have that much health? If it does then that's just insane.

uhh you just shoot it, a lot. then it runs away and you follow it. and shoot it a lot. then it runs further away. guess what you do? well, i'll tell you this much: i shot it, a lot.

Just shoot the shit out of it and it should move onwards. If it still isn't running away, try getting closer to it and shooting to see if you can trigger it off. I just followed it around shooting and it eventually died.

Um, you mean the Gonarch? Simple: Hornetgun (or Hivehand, whatever it is you like to call it). Oh yeah, and remember that you can only damage it by shooting its underside.

BTW, you can get through pretty much all of the Xen part of the game using nothing but the Hornetgun. A bit of a design error, really.

Yep,it is possible, shoot his belly a lot, and you will succeed!

Fixes title spelling...

And I've always hated that thing. Many times, I ended up falling off somehow. Nihilanth was easier to beat, and slightly less annoying.

Was the nihilanth the big floating baby? I thought that was an appalling end boss. It felt like I was playing SimAbortion2000.

It was big and floating, but it didn't resemble a baby to me. Instead it looked sort of like a cross between the Grinch's dog (with that 'antler' stuck on his head) and the Great Gazoo.

Hmm... I don't know either of those two, show some pics if possible. But to me, it looked like a giant, half-disembowelled baby.

The first is from 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas', while the other is that tiny green guy from the Flinstones. But when I first saw that thing, I thought it was just a much larger version of those little flying pests that you first see right before entering that portal.

Jump down below it (you'll fall through the webbing), and shoot the living shit out of it with everything you have. Use the hornetgun to fend off the little buggers, and just keep hitting it. I found that explosives work best, or charged up shots from the Gauss cannon.

Nihilanth's voice was übercool. "...THIEVES they all are THIEVES they all...". But the coolest thing to me came after the Nihilanth battle, when all of a sudden you're in that elevator thing with the G-Man. Quite possibly one of the finest and most atmospheric endings to a first-person shooter ever.

Grazza said:

BTW, you can get through pretty much all of the Xen part of the game using nothing but the Hornetgun. A bit of a design error, really.

It isn't when you're completely out of any of the other kinds of ammo.

Is your copy of half-life up to date?

What everyone is saying is true, you just have to shoot it. However, I have had the same problem that you are talking about. Somtimes, the damn thing just gets stuck! Im really not sure what causes it to happen, but unfortunately, you'll either have to cheat, or start a new game.

I suppose i should just keep shooting but i once just left the fire button on whilst aiming at the egg sac and left it that way for a few minutes (after wasting all my ammo on that eggsac).

Assmaster said:

Is your copy of half-life up to date?

What everyone is saying is true, you just have to shoot it. However, I have had the same problem that you are talking about. Somtimes, the damn thing just gets stuck! Im really not sure what causes it to happen, but unfortunately, you'll either have to cheat, or start a new game.

My HL version is 1.1.1.0

Actually, the Gonarch fight is a bit buggy (ha, pun). Every once in a blue moon, something screws up while it's moving between the fighting "arenas", and the damn thing won't move no matter how much you shoot at it. The only way to fix it is to restart the level. It's happened to me a couple times, and for sure it's annoying as all hell.

Or maybe I'm just full of crap.

I killed it just fine using the anti-aircraft missile launcher, the six-shooter or the crossbow. The crossbow was great because you could snipe it's underbelly.

I haven't played HL in a while, but all I remember was lots of shooting, then it fell though a hole and died.

Ironicaly enough, I've just been playing Opposing Force. That game gets bizzare after you go to Xen. I miss all my marine buddies to. Yeah, anyway I just got the electric alien gun thing. I think I'm about to have to face off against some of those damned sea monsters, so good times...

Ubik said:

This NEEDS to be a game. :D

i would buy simabortion2000

honestly i think it was a creepy end bos, only pyramid head took its spot.

"captian coathanger's: abortion adventure" should also be a game

i finally figured out wtf your talking about. that big crab thing in the alien planet. shoot its ballsack off with anything.