Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thelokk

[Community Project] "Gorehounds of Doom"

Since I had recently been made avare that my map has inside it too many archvilles and a few pain elementals that are set to ambush (which made it so that they never left their teleport closets, preventing you from being able to get all the kills) I had made some changes to the map (I fixed the ambush only pain elementals, reduced the amount of archvilles, spread out the monster teleport destinations spots and even added a few new ones and added in some deviously placed sniping masterminds, that should make things a bit more dificult...) and am now sharing the updated version

The city of boiling blood_1.zip

So you know how I said my previous update to my map was gonna be my last? Whel since then I've gotten feedback that the inescapable blood pit on the eastern most corner of the map, that I put in two updates ago was too harsh on the player (especially because of the fact that it's not telegraphed at all and that the abundance of radsuits & megaspheres usually makes for a very slow death if you fall in) so I decided to add stairs that allow you to escape out of the pit and made a few other minor tweeks. So here's the third and hopefully final update to my map for this project (I don't think I'll be updating it anymore, unless something game breaking is found...). I would also like it if you guys actually gave me some feedback on it (cause so far the only people that have playtested it were me and [tech support] Thingie! who has nothing to do with this project, but was still kind enough to give feedback to me when I asked for it...)  

The city of boiling blood_3.zip

Working on my entry, hope I got a working prototype in a week. Lighting's a bit flat, but that comes later. Progress is slow enough without adding minute lights.

image.png.205f952aa3dd33f0c51ae906c78e9f64.png

Here's my map.  I mostly finished this a few weeks ago but didn't have a chance to clean it up and add difficulties until recently.  I was trying to make an easier map for earlier in the wad but we'll see if people agree.  Visually, I was probably most inspired by Blood Geometry from Sunlust and Skindustrial Zone from Valiant.  And David Cronenberg movies, I guess.  Gameplay here mostly revolves around shotgun/SSG combat.  There's no armor but I don't think the map is cruel as I tried to be fairly generous with health and ammo.

zMKErHE.png

Name: The Accident
Author: Salmon
Modes: Singleplayer
Testing: DSDA-Doom, GZDoom
Skill Levels: All implemented
Music: The Old One's Gentle Slumber by AD-79

Download - The Accident v2.0 - fixed pinkie fight skip

Download - The Accident v1.0

Please feel free to give me feedback, demos, point out errors, etc.  Thanks!

Edited by Salmon : new file version

33 minutes ago, Salmon said:

Here's my map.  I mostly finished this a few weeks ago but didn't have a chance to clean it up and add difficulties until recently.  I was trying to make an easier map for earlier in the wad but we'll see if people agree.  Visually, I was probably most inspired by Blood Geometry from Sunlust and Skindustrial Zone from Valiant.  And David Cronenberg movies, I guess.  Gameplay here mostly revolves around shotgun/SSG combat.  There's no armor but I don't think the map is cruel as I tried to be fairly generous with health and ammo.

zMKErHE.png

Cool map. Short and punchy, but I feel like the visuals are a bit same-y, though that's also a good thing lol because the map has a visual theme. I couldn't get the secret chaingun so I didn't bother maxing it (yet) and beat it with saves instead. The combat wasn't really difficult, imo the last fight just before you're exiting the map is the trickiest. I think this map should be one of the first in the megawad as it's pretty short and fairly easy but still offers some challenge. Also, cool ending. I was expecting to get telefragged to impose a forced pistol start on the player, but it didn't happen. Imo, it would be cooler if this was implemented for UV and you'd get to carry over your inventory on HMP and lower difficulties.

1497908606_dsda-doom2022-06-1422-33-23-97.jpg.196bdf223266a9cdbe1f1f916c20367a.jpg

18 hours ago, Salmon said:

zMKErHE.png

Here's my demo: accidentuvmax-00007.zip

I didn't showcase that in the demo (I don't like using cheese strats unless it's necessary to get a lower time), but you can activate the pinkie trap before jumping down which renders it completely pointless. This should be fixed.

@epicyolomaster420 I'll play your map later, probably within a few days.

@epicyolomaster420 It was weird map but I had fun. In platform with mancubus and pain elemental you can flip the switch before lowering walls in front of it, but it did not matter much since there is more blockers before teleporter. Also just tip for teleporter closets, you can use joined sectors over messy sound tunnels. Example: 

Spoiler

RG1KC92.png

11 hours ago, muumi said:

@epicyolomaster420 It was weird map but I had fun. In platform with mancubus and pain elemental you can flip the switch before lowering walls in front of it, but it did not matter much since there is more blockers before teleporter. Also just tip for teleporter closets, you can use joined sectors over messy sound tunnels. Example: 

Hide contents

RG1KC92.png

Thanks for the feedback (as I appreciate it) and I'm glad you had fun! I'll fix the problem with the switch and probably a few other things sometime before the projects end. Also I know and am aware of the joint sectors trick for sound propagation but only since very recently when I found myself looking at a few sunder maps in the editor (I wasn't aware of it at the time I was making the map and more speciffically the sound tunnel).I also don't really feel like using it to replace the sound tunnel in this map (my attitude towards the issue right now is: if it ain't broken don't fix it, lol), but I would like to thank you reminding me of it though (especially since you went through the trouble of making an demo map for it). And on the topic of sunder I also recently learned that the music I used for this map (which I now know is used in Sunder's map08) may not actually originate from sunder, but rather from Alien Vendeta (when watching decino play the map in question and hearing it's music I heard him respond with: hey some alien vendeta music, so I may have been wrong saying the music is from sunder...). Also if you're looking for a challenge you can also play this map on UV+ (if you know how to set it up...) because it actually has a significant amount of enemys and other things (such as ammo armor and health) on multiplayer only. 

Sent the screenshots of the map in the discord because i was told there that it was fine- Here's the first iteration of the map itself. Not 100% happy with it, lost a bit of steam in the middle, but i'm gonna give it a bit then come back and tweak some things. For now, though, it's playable, start-to-finish. 

Name: Devil Magicks
Author: Maxwell
Testing: GZDoom [Couldn't figure out how to use DSDA doom, unfortunately] 
Music: None selected yet

Download here

Screenshot_Doom_20220426_214352.png

6 hours ago, Maxwellk421 said:

Sent the screenshots of the map in the discord because i was told there that it was fine- Here's the first iteration of the map itself. Not 100% happy with it, lost a bit of steam in the middle, but i'm gonna give it a bit then come back and tweak some things. For now, though, it's playable, start-to-finish. 

Name: Devil Magicks
Author: Maxwell
Testing: GZDoom [Couldn't figure out how to use DSDA doom, unfortunately] 
Music: None selected yet

Download here

Screenshot_Doom_20220426_214352.png

Open your DSDA Doom folder, hold shift and open the command line and then copy paste this command: dsda-doom.exe -file a. "Devil Magicks.wad" b. rfhelltx.wad -complevel21

I'd suggest to rename your wad. Something like DM.wad or even just devilmagicks.wad without empty space between words so I wouldn't have to use quotes to run it in DSDA Doom. I'll make a follow-up post after beating the map as usual.

Also wtf, this map uses default Doom 2 midi?! That sucks, I'll have to turn the music off lol. Did you know you could replace it with any MIDI of your choice? Just open SLADE, open your map in it and choose a MIDI file you want to use and name it as d_runnin and save the map.

:/

Also, here's a couple bugs I noticed while playing in DSDA Doom:

1) HOM in the starting area:

413210452_dsda-doom2022-06-2211-27-29-97.jpg.1981e8d5c818590f259d436b92ea50ae.jpg

2) These doors should be lower unpegged: 

674042571_dsda-doom2022-06-2211-33-40-99.jpg.926df140fe00241f887deaf1dbe3d8b6.jpg

Edited by CittyKat112

I didn't like it. The library maze area is annoying and hard to navigate and it's full of non-threatening arch-viles. The second maze is pretty much the same minus the arch-viles. I think these areas should be reworked as they could stop some people dead in their tracks if they'd want to get 100% kills. It definitely stopped me from achieving that. The visuals are good and nicely detailed, and I didn't encounter any visual bugs in GZDoom. The combat was fine for the most part, though you can cheese one of the fights by hiding in the red key room and start peakaboo shooting everything from there; you can also lure the arch-vile in the doorway which makes the fight that ensues right after grabbing the red key way too easy for my taste. The ammo was a little bit tight, but there's usually enough ammo if you do a bit of exploring. That's all I have to say about the map.

Screenshot_Doom_20220622_121728.png.05a83c2df65b7972a7784d9038d5254b.png

@CittyKat112, thanks for the feedback and the demo!  @muumi, thanks for the video!  Glad you both enjoyed the map.

Here's an update to fix the skip CittyKat pointed out.  I may make some more minor edits later but I'm also okay with this being final if the project gets compiled early.  I'll update my original post with the new download too.

Download - The Accident 2.0

Just now, Salmon said:

@CittyKat112, thanks for the feedback and the demo!  @muumi, thanks for the video!  Glad you both enjoyed the map.

Here's an update to fix the skip CittyKat pointed out.  I may make some more minor edits later but I'm also okay with this being final if the project gets compiled early.  I'll update my original post with the new download too.

Nice, I'll check it out tomorrow or the day after that. But I'll probably just beat it with saves just to see if there's any other bugs or stuff like that since the map is like 99% ready.

@CittyKat112, I am sorry but I will have to vacate my spot. I know it's late in the project, but lately I have been feeling no motivation to map at all, for this project or otherwise. Good luck to everyone else.

8 hours ago, Pechudin said:

@CittyKat112, I am sorry but I will have to vacate my spot. I know it's late in the project, but lately I have been feeling no motivation to map at all, for this project or otherwise. Good luck to everyone else.

I'm not the project lead lol, you should've tagged @Snaxalotl instead. Also, I've talked about the deadline on discord and Snaxalotl is willing to give mappers some more time if they can't meet the deadline, so maybe you could reconsider?

On 6/25/2022 at 10:42 PM, Salmon said:

I played the second version and didn't find any bugs, the pinky trap works as intended now. I forgot why I didn't ask about this when I beat it for the first time, but what's the point of the computer area map near the exit? 

22 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

I played the second version and didn't find any bugs, the pinky trap works as intended now. I forgot why I didn't ask about this when I beat it for the first time, but what's the point of the computer area map near the exit? 

Thanks for taking another look.  If I don't place a computer map as a secret, I like to give it at the end to help players find any missing kills, items, or secrets.  That's why the teleporter back to the start is there too.  It's just to help completionists.

5 minutes ago, Salmon said:

Thanks for taking another look.  If I don't place a computer map as a secret, I like to give it at the end to help players find any missing kills, items, or secrets.  That's why the teleporter back to the start is there too.  It's just to help completionists.

Alright. Honestly, this powerup didn't help me at all during my blind run and I felt it was kinda pointless since you can clearly see where the secret sector is on the automap. But I see your point.

I am here to announce a friendly reminder that there is about 14 days to submit a playable map, I will begin creating the wad upon meeting that deadline.

I probably should have said this sooner but I definitely won't have anything done by then. I'm sorry. I haven't been on Doomworld much lately and forgot I put my name in it.

I am afraid I also will be unable to fulfil my obligations to this project, it is a shame to realise this only now. I, in my usual fashion, have over subscribed myself to several projects - I have more progress with a map on another project which has a similar deadline to this than the map for this one. I would rather make one higher quality map than two bad ones if my logic is understandable. I shan't sign up for more than I can realistically do anymore as my limitations are quite low. I just really can't stand releasing sub-par products I'm sorry. 

@Thelokk still has the other half of the slot so it is up to them what happens with it. 

So as I promised I have made a few changes to my map for this project and am sharing the (now well and truly final) version of the map. I've also been meaning to ask @Snaxalotl why I can no longer see your discord server in my server list anymore for what has to be 3 weeks now ? Did I get kicked out somehow or was the server just shut down (either way I want back in)?   

The city of boiling blood_4.zip

7 hours ago, epicyolomaster420 said:

I've also been meaning to ask @Snaxalotl why I can no longer see your discord server in my server list anymore for what has to be 3 weeks now ? Did I get kicked out somehow or was the server just shut down (either way I want back in)?

The server was shut down due to personal reasons, no one did anything wrong. It is up again though incase people want to come back in

https://discord.gg/gCJbnet4TC

I've sadly not had a lot of energy to work on my map either, and it's very unlikely I'll finish it in time. Dropping out of this one.