Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Retchid, A Indie Doom 3 Clone!

Just found out about this one:

I have not tried the demo yet, but the gameplay already looks much more dynamic than Doom 3!

Edited by Rudolph

That does look quite good! Very D3-esque, hopefully with a few more tricks up its sleeve. I hope it maintains a similar oppressive atmosphere. 

Having tried the demo, I am not sold yet. The demo is still rough around the edges. I understand it is a three-man effort, though.

Thanks for bringing this to attention. Doom 3 is my favorite Doom incarnation, I have to check this out asap.

Interesting. Hell if you had showed me the footage without context I would have thought "Cool Doom 3 mod."

Retchid has entered Early Access, for those interested.

I have jumped in and like what I've experienced so far, Indie Doom 3 is honestly a perfect description for this game:

Spoiler

3Rr16w8.jpg

Yep, complete with PDA system

O5HhMWt.jpg

The game literally starts with the Doom 3 intro contamination chamber

1sc48zY.jpg

2kB3jz1.jpg

Less forces of hell this time and more eldritch body horror however.

cLXI72l.jpg

And yes, the SMG is a bullpup rear fed weapon, on top of that the air locks have made a return as well

If you ain't about that early access life and are waiting that's understandable, personally I am enjoying myself so far.

Combat at the moment is a little bit clunky, hopefully there will be small overhauls in the future.

So far, due to it being a small indie project mind you, it falls a little short of Doom 3 at the moment.

Mainly AI and combat shortcomings so far, the combat isn't quite as meaty and the AI so far has done some very odd things, mainly I think they're trying to flank me but end up running around the room before entering a firing position, they're usually dead before that.

However melee enemies seem to function fine.

I just bought it yesterday. So far from a small team it’s pretty impressive how much they made it look and play like Doom 3. It plays fine in my opinion. It’s certainly not going to win any awards. My only issues is that the the enemies feel a bit too Bullet spongey and that it really needs a flashlight in certain areas. Other than that I’m really enjoying it.

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Mainly AI and combat shortcomings so far, the combat isn't quite as meaty and the AI so far has done some very odd things, mainly I think they're trying to flank me but end up running around the room before entering a firing position, they're usually dead before that.

Well, then again, Doom 3 did not have the best AI either. :/

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Well, then again, Doom 3 did not have the best AI either. :/

Maybe Doom 3's AI is basic, but it's fully functional and never did odd things.

That looks veery much like it's carrying Doom 3 DNA all over, same lightning and visuals, down to the enemy models (especially the Zombos).

It looks like they're straight up using D3 textures in some areas even. From the trailer, if I'm judging purely on the style then basically I'm sold.

You can abduct me anyday to just play this type of stuff cause I'm a bitch for this style.

Howeever, from what I'm seeing from the teaser, I'm not entirely sold about that gameplay. Those enemies are reacting dumb as fuuuuck dude. 

I'm gonna wait 'till that shits fixed and further developed cause I understand it's still an early acces.

It's a funny coincidence that this appeared just as Doom 3 itself had its 19th anniversary this month. Gonna keep my third eye on this.

I haven't tried either the demo or early access, but the trailer there has this bizarre thing going on where the environments and weapons look slick enough, but the enemies' AI and animation seems highly questionable.  It's like there's two different sets of production values coexisting in one game.