Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kokoro Hane

Top 10 videos games of all time (your personal list)

1. Final Fantasy VII

2. Classic Doom (1+2+Final+mods)

3. Final Fantasy IV

4. Civilization II

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

6. Super Metroid

7. Pokémon Red

8. Super Smash Bros Melee

9. Mega Man X2

10. Super Mario World

I tried to put them in order, but it’s probably more like three or four tiers. It is based mostly on volume of play over the years and enjoyment, very little on “objective” merit. My hardcore gaming years were something like 96-02 and I pretty well stopped gaming cold turkey around 05. Doom is the only thing I have played with any regularity in the last 15 years. 

1. Classic Doom
  2. BioShock 2
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Metro: Last Light
  5. Outlast 1
  6. Little Nightmares
  7. Conker's Bad Fur Day
  8. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
  9. Halo 2
  10. Gears of War 2

Not ordered:

Star Control II

TIE Fighter

Minecraft

The Stanley Parable

DEFCON

Ultimate Doom & Doom II & Final Doom

Frontier Elite II

Silent Hunter II

Kerbal Space Program

Digital Combat Simulator

In no particular order:

1. Doom
  2. Crash Bandicoot 2
  3. Unreal
  4. Super Meat Boy
  5. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  6. Ori and the Blind Forest
  7. Ys Origin
  8. Crash Team Racing
  9. Quake III Arena
  10. Metroid: Zero Mission

Not especially in order :

• Doom
  • Torchlight
  • Battle for Wesnoth
  • Populous
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Quake
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal
  • Transcendence
  • BroForce
  • Titan Quest

Alphabetical order:

Blood
Cuphead
Disco Elysium
Dishonored
FTL
Hollow Knight
Max Payne
Morrowind
Pillars of Eternity
Warcraft 3

Not ordered, too hard to pick just 10.

-Doom

-Redneck Rampage

-Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade)

-Quake 2

-Half-Life 2

-Portal

-GTA:San Andreas

-Grim Fandango

-The Binding of Isaac (Repentance)

-The Talos Principle

Hard to pick up, there are more than 10. But here are some.

Doom 1,2

Blood

Dark Souls 1

Daggerfall

Eye of the Beholder 2

Spelunky

Borderlands 1,2

Metal Slug

Deus Ex

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

Dooms

The OG. Doom just has a music to it. The ridiculous speed, the rhythm and satisfying weight of the combat, the weirdness, the collage-y art style, the beautiful way everything fades to grey in software.

Blood

The best out-of-the-box 90s shooter for me. Same great build engine feel, but without Duke3d's rubbish bestiary, a better set of weapons and setting. Also find Caleb a more charismatic protagonist.

Noita

Feel the love - 3 people spent 7 years making this. Beautiful visuals and sonics married to a fantastic game feel and immanent design philosophy and mystery. 

Planescape Torment

A wonderful game IMO, and the first RPG to have a cogent explanation for why these poor sods haul your crap around, fight and die for you. One of the all time most satisfying endings for me as well. And, MORTE!

Thief 2

Tough call. Life of the Party is the best non fan-mission Thief experience IMO, but the Viktoria storyline and Return to the Cathedral/adjacent missions in Thief 1 make it so so close.

Silent Hill 2

Not played it in years, but it made a huge impression on me. A real downer of a game on every front but utterly gripping. Visceral soundtrack too.

Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl

So atmospheric. I've always been fascinated by Chernobyl and being able to toddle around Pripyat was a bad dream come true. The frustrating, slightly clunky gameplay suits it, a strange case where a really smooth, flowing combat experience would have made the game LESS effective. 

Deus Ex

I've been replaying it recently, and while it is still interesting and I STILL find new things, I dunno if it holds up as much for me now. But it's got a place in my heart and it's got a real

Papers Please

This is one of very few games that I would consider art. Not what I'd call fun, but an astoundingly intelligent use of the medium.

Dishonored + DLC

I love it. Arkane nailed the TTLG legacy with excellent feel and a lot of polish. Viktor Antonov of HL2 fame lends it an incredible, painterly art style when everything in a gritty FPP setting was still chasing realism. A shame the levels are so simplified compared to e.g. Thief, but thems the cost of producing games with this fidelity. Dishonored 2 has better levels but the feel wasn't quite there for me.

Now, I remembered we had a thread like this before, I bet I am not very consistent:

Spoiler

Planescape Torment

Thief - The Dark Project

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines

Doom 2

Deus Ex

Dishonored 2 - tough one as inferior story and characters to the first + xpacks, but better game overall

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl

Silent Hill 2

Monument Valley - slightly dubious as not even slightly replayable, but such a great experience the first time round

Quake 3 Arena

Bugger, I'd actually take the descendant over the progenitor with Bloodlines over Deus Ex.

Edited by holaareola

I considere these games to be classics that stood the test of time and are in no order of prefference:

• Ultimate Doom/Doom2/Final Doom.
  • The Sims 1.
  • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.
  • Final Fantasy VI.
  • X-COM Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense 1994.
  • Age of Empires II plus all of its expansions.
  • Civilization IV.
  • Resident Evil 2 1998.
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 plus Yuri's Revenge and Mental Omega mod.
  • Dwarf Fortress.

8 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

No, but I'll assume from telling me not to assume your age that you're a young guy or gal who likes 90s stuff.

Not parrticularly old, yes, but older than many of the people that are on Doomworld, older than Doomkid, lol/

Ye Olde Dooms, Quake 1 and 2, Doom 64…That’s like 4-6 slots already, yikes.

Some other thoroughly influential games:

Neverwinter Nights - I got into the Baldur’s Gate/Icewind Dale games after it, NWN was my gateway game to realizing roleplaying decisions and gameplay. Also poured hundreds of hours into the custom campaigns, and it was my first foray into modding something other than Doom: I learned how to customize the animations.

Morrowind - Daggerfall came first and it was as influential, but MW’s world is so stupidly good, nuanced, and authentic that I have to put it above. This was the first game I played from the early PM into the late AM.

Blood - There’s some magic in this one. Love the other build buddies but I also really love horror and the Evil Dead. My parents were lenient on what games they’d got me when I was young but they drew the line at Blood, I didn’t play it until the very late 90s/early 2000s; I was very happy to see it was as good as I hoped it would be.

Team Fortress 2 - I got into online FPS games with Counter Strike, FEAR, and Left 4 Dead, but it was TF2 that really struck home with me. Of all the games that track my time, this was the second to reach 1k hours of playtime. The first to do that was…

Guild Wars 1 - My favorite online RPG. It was a perfect transition after binging so much Neverwinter Nights, I couldn’t get into other MMOs because of their grind and gameplay decisions. This one was very comfortable to play and very replayable, I revisit it on occasion because you can now have a full team of customizable party members.

Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls series, Sekiro, Bloodborne, Elden Ring - these games are my new hotness, Dark Souls 1 is at the top.

1. Doom 95

2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

3. Age of Empires (Gold Edition)

4. I forget the name, but a point and click adventure to the center of the earth, with robots and flying cows and an elevator that goes down... I've searched for so long for this game... Maybe Windows 95-2000, I just can't remember much of anything.

5. Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside

6. Super Smash Bros. Melee

7. A kids learning game where there are fish and an underwater dolphin thing. I think most of it was underwater themed? For windows 95 or 98 maybe? Another game that would absolutely explode my brain with nostalgia if I could just fucking find it.

8. Math Rescue

9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (get woke)

+ Chip's Challenge

+ Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

+ Pokémon Gold

+ League of Legends (like 2013-2016 before Riot and its playerbase lost their humanity)

+ Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

+ Mario Kart

+ Serious Sam: The First Encounter

+ Rayman 2: The Great Escape

If anyone can point me to either of those games, I would be so grateful.

10 minutes ago, Cacodreamin' said:

4. I forget the name, but a point and click adventure to the center of the earth, with robots and flying cows and an elevator that goes down... I've searched for so long for this game... Maybe Windows 95-2000, I just can't remember much of anything.

The Day the World Broke from 1997 by Houghton Mifflin Interactive?

In no particular order.

Everquest (thru Velious)

Played a ton of EQ in high school. Only dipped my toes in the Kunark and Velious endgames before moving on, so can't speak for anything that came after. MMOs peaked with early EQ imo. It's sad that WoW set the standard and homogenized the genre so early on, mostly by copying and defanging EQ, and then everyone else copied WoW. I say "defanged," but I guess most people would say "refined" or "perfected," but I think instances, the quest treadmills, waypoints, and lack of any real consequences for dying remove the choice, interactions, and emergent mechanics from the game. What's an MMO if not arguing with another party about pulls and camps, or having to deal with mob trains to the zone! Unless you wanted to kite mobs in a big open area or do some dangerous junk with Charm, you needed to join parties and talk to people to accomplish things. And if you died somewhere hard to get, you risked losing your gear unless you found people to help get your corpse back. Now that's fun!!

Dark Souls

Elden Ring might eventually be my fave of the "series," but I haven't finished it yet, so it's still Dark Souls.

Slay the Spire

It's real good.

Final Fantasy 7

Not sure how well it would hold up for me, but I played this at the right time in my life. The first JRPG that I played in any serious way. The music is OP. I played on PC, and the prelude midi that plays during installation was all it took to win me over.

Super Mario World

The best Mario imo.

Dwarf Fortress

Other games have tried something like it, but nothing really compares. The most deep/detailed/perplexing/surprising procedural world simulation story generator out there, and it's not even half done!

Chrono Trigger

Only played bits n pieces via friends and rentals in the 90s, which is why FF7 was my first proper JRPG experience. I played through Chrono Trigger as an adult, and I think it's the model JRPG, just about perfect.

Getting Over It

Bennett Foddy is a master. A great example of a simple idea executed perfectly. It's amazing and hilarious how offputting it is at first, but then you can feel yourself getting better. Falling from somewhere that took you hours to get to and then getting back there in a fraction of the time is very satisfying.

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA MegaMix+

This one just came out, but I think it's the most comprehensive and refined of the Project DIVA games, so I'm comfortable saying it's the best. No goofy story mode, don't have to unlock songs, choice of rendering modes, and the biggest song and module collections.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The best Zelda imo.

Doom 2

I guess it's good enough to take the 11th spot. Pretty good game.

EDIT: Reading through some of y'all's lists reminded me of some other games that might be in my top 10 on different days: Minecraft, Undertale, Disco Elysium, Kerbal Space Program, Morrowind, Deus Ex, Magic Carpet, Syndicate, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Starflight.

No NES or Genesis games?! The top of those is probably SMB3, Bubble Bobble, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2.

Edited by Benjogami

1 hour ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

The Day the World Broke from 1997 by Houghton Mifflin Interactive?

Oh wow I actually started tearing up. You are incredible. Thank you soooo much.

1 minute ago, Cacodreamin' said:

Oh wow I actually started tearing up. You are incredible. Thank you soooo much.

You're welcome.

Also

7. A kids learning game where there are fish and an underwater dolphin thing. I think most of it was underwater themed? For windows 95 or 98 maybe? Another game that would absolutely explode my brain with nostalgia if I could just fucking find it.

Freddi Fish series?

1 minute ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

Freddi Fish series?

I have scoured the internet for both games for days. I have no idea how you found the first one. You must have known it, right?

No this game has realism type graphics, I think? It's so far gone in my memory I only remember that there were stingrays, I think it was point and click adventure, or at least point and click to go to different areas, not necessarily adventure. I'm not even sure if it was entirely water themed. Lol, I have so little to go on, the chances of finding it are absurdly low. 

Thank you, though. You have no idea how much nostalgia u just unlocked. :)

23 minutes ago, Cacodreamin' said:

I have scoured the internet for both games for days. I have no idea how you found the first one. You must have known it, right?

Actually no, first time I've heard of the game. I dug through a bunch of point-and-click games to find one which fit your description best.

Anyway, happy to help!

My top 10? Well in my personal option it would be this (no particular order) : 

Halo 1-3 (what i grew up on)

Twisted Metal (i stop after black)

Call of duty (way before it became a mindless cash grab)

Doom (i started with the 2016 doom and now i'm here)

Quake (Since the re release version)

Turok (Still and always my go to when i want that janky late 90's goodness)

Pokemon (I stop after Gen 2 came out) 

Destiny 2 (i've spend 8 and half years on Destiny 1 to just get gear for my warlock. Talk about dealation lol) 

Rainbow Six: Siege (Still fun besides the fact that ubisoft will never fix the bullshit of spawn peeking, aim boting and defenders running out, killing you, ball slapping your face and run back in. Still a fun game though)

Super Mario Bros 3 (Oh yeah another childhood favorite, i use to play the living hell out of this game, never beat it until i got a NES classic for my mom (rip), then i beat it). 

that's my list.

Bonus games: Division 2, Halo: Reach, PayDay 2 (used to be a really really good PayDay player back in the hype days), Super metroid (finally got to play it on the SNES classic and Prince of Persia: The sands of time (I think there's a remastered in the works...i don't know i couldn't tell ya). Oh and Flatout 1 from the OG Xbox era. 

In no particular order: 

Classic Doom

Duke Nukem 3d

Blood

Call of Duty (from 2007 to 2012)

Soldier Of Fortune

Sonic 2

Sonic 3

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Half-life and its expansions

Quake

In no particular order...

Cossacks (Art of War etc., I also play Cossacks 3 which is more or less the same game)

American Conquest (made by the same people as Cossacks)

Elite (haven't played it in decades but it was a favourite of mine and groundbreaking at the time)

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 - (combines all the official games pretty much - my favourite flight simulator)

Doom - (needs no explanation)

Doom2 - (ditto)

Duke Nukem 3D - (love this game, used to make levels for it using Build way back in the day)

Quake - (stands the test of time, imo)

Medieval Total War 2 (and other titles, but I'll say that one)

Warcraft 2 (a favourite growing up, spent hours playing it in the 1990s)

13 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Not parrticularly old, yes, but older than many of the people that are on Doomworld, older than Doomkid, lol/

Well I've certainly made an ass of u and me...mainly just me lol

Not in any particular order, and not including any Doom or Quake game seeing as it's a given (and also because I don't know if I like Quake 2 or 3 more)

• Half-Life
  • Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm
  • Super Castlevania 4
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Hotline Miami
  • Imperishable Night
  • Blaster Master
  • Far Cry 2
  • Final Fight
  • Mega Man 2

On 6/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, SilentD00mer said:

Castle of Illusion (Master System. Not everyone remembers this one... but this is a personal list, right :P  )

I can dig this. Didn't have a Mega Drive/Genesis to play World of Illusion, so I completed this over and over and over. This and Ducktales on the NES. Man, that dragon boss was some bullshit.

I'm gonna exclude Doom/Heretic/Hexen etc as those are basically a given here.

Half-Life and sequels

Quake II

Descent 

Freespace 2

Grim Fandango 

Alien: Isolation

Medieval Total War

Age of Empires II

Counter-Strike: Source (love/hate relationship)

Modern Warfare 2 

23 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Little Nightmares

I love little nightmares. It's a fantastic little platformer, with horrifying monster design. It may be short but it doesn't have any padding or feel unnecessarily long  . The janitor is probably my favourite monster. It's the way he's introduced, seeing him off in the distance dragging a cage filling the player with dread.

I actually found an upcoming game on steam that has a very similar atmosphere to Little nightmares, albeit less Tim burton esque. I don't know if you're interested but I felt like sharing it anyway.

• Doom 1/2/various mods/derivative games
  • Silent Hill 2/1+3
  • Half-Life 1/2/various mods/derivative games
  • Max Payne 1/2
  • Elder Scrolls 2/3/4/5
  • Severance: Blade of Darkness
  • Painkiller (Original)
  • Quake series
  • Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
  • Fallout series
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Gothic 1/2...3
  • Dark Souls 1
  • X3
  • Dishonored
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Thief 1/2/fan made missions
  • Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Soldier of Fortune
  • Subnautica
  • Terraria
  • Grand Theft Auto SA/4/5
  • Mafia
  • Red Faction Guerrilla
  • Tomb Raider (Original Games)
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Might and Magic 7/8
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

There are actually more top 10 video games of all time, but my top 10 list got too long already...

In no specific order:

- A Hat In Time [Games got a fantastic soundtrack and is really fun to play]

- DooM II [No comment]

- Fallout New Vegas [Best fallout. <3]

- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [The ONLY good Elder Scrolls game (Oblivion is fun though)]

- Polyville Canyon [A great little game where you build your town/city with nothing to worry about. :D]

- Pokémon Hoenn games (R/S/E & ORAS) [Hoenn is best region]

- Theo Town [SimCity, but you can customize what the map looks like via inserting images! :O]

- Ape Escape 3 [Ook-ook!]

- Starbound [Terraria in spaaaaaaaaaaaace!]

- Steven Universe: Unleash The Light [Low-Key a really fun and difficult game. GL trying to not lose your entire team >:) ]