Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kan3

Twilight Descends Redone (Single Doom II Map)

3rd Redone is finally finished!
Twilight Descends has been "remastered" in this new lovely version.

First things first, as always, thanks to PlayStation Doom TC for the original map, music and sounds!

I liked this map in its original dress, it is really a "complete" kind of map, it explores a lot of different setting: tech base-ish stuff, dungeons, hells fortress, swamp/rock exteriors, sort of mine excavation, toxic refinery things. 

It is a well varied level and nothing felt out of place, it all comes together pretty decently without having an extremely long map.

To me it was really great! (Go check the original!)

BUT, there's always room for improvements!

It took me more than expected (as always...), due to the enormous amount of different theme I had to explore and re-think a bit, but now I can finally present you a hardcore version (yep, again) of Twilight Descends: "this is a warning, the level is not easy, not even in HNTR, so be careful and explore the map!"

Same changes I made to make it feel even better (hopefully):

Reduced Lost Souls hp

DECALDEFS for torches, candles and health and armor bonuses

Nightmare Spectre and Nightmare Imp

New switch texture, lava fall, slime fall, wall, metal flat.

Here's the screenshots:

Spoiler

inhWeSO.png

Jfry7e5.png

QvPGRwN.png

1jZNxim.png

5hx1yei.png

Iij3Vu3.png

qC3VXWO.png

0Ycj0DS.png

Here's the info:

Game : Doom 2

Port : GZDoom 4.8.0 (it uses ZDoom features, so it shouldn't be compatible with anything else)

Map Format : UDMF

Map # : MAP01

Single Player : Designed for

Cooperative 2-4 Player : Player starts only (I actually cannot test it for cooperative, so I don't really know how it works)

Difficulty Settings : Every Difficulty Implemented 

Jump : Not Allowed

Crouch : Not Allowed

Freelook: Optional

Base : MAP29 PsxDoomTC

Build Time : 3 weeks

Editor(s) used : Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade3

Render Mode (suggested) : Hardware Accelerated

Here's the map: Twilight Descends Redone

Previous Redone here:

Known bugs: None (it seems...)

I hope you like it and feedback and critics are always welcomed!

Edited by Kan3 : Links

Been waiting on this one, it's probably my favorite PSX exclusive map after The Mansion. 

(P.S: to get the previews to show, copy and paste the 'bbcode link' Imgur provides right next to the image)

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Been waiting on this one, it's probably my favorite PSX exclusive map after The Mansion. 

(P.S: to get the previews to show, copy and paste the 'bbcode link' Imgur provides right next to the image)

Hoping to not disappoint you :D (next will be your most hated level, beware (x )

FINALLY! I swear to God that I tried that last time, but somehow it didn't work D: Now's perfectly fine, thank you!

1 hour ago, EshraytheGrey said:

Loving the aesthetic of this map, the reflective water is a nice touch.

Thanks! I remembered that feature yesterday x)))

1 hour ago, Kan3 said:

(next will be your most hated level, beware (x )

I'm sure you'll make a wonder out of it!

Btw, I am assuming a compilation is in the plans once you're through with all the PSX exclusive levels? Even a hub would be neat, since we're talking UDMF.

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I'm sure you'll make a wonder out of it!

Btw, I am assuming a compilation is in the plans once you're through with all the PSX exclusive levels? Even a hub would be neat, since we're talking UDMF.

I hope D: It doesn't have much to work with x)

Yeah, the plan was to get only the exclusive levels, since there are already enough vanilla doom remakes out there.
You know, I didn't think about a hub, but it would really be a neat idea!

EDIT: I seem to get stuck in the first secret room if I do not leave before the secret wall closes. I cannot get it open from the inside.

I object to having a static sky texture that depicts lightnings. It looks kind of silly to me, like the whole thing is frozen in time... unless that is what you were going for in the first place?

That aside, being away from my gaming PC right now, I am playing this with FreeDoom and I am pleasantly surprised to see the "nightmare" effect being applied to FreeDoom's Serpentine and Bloodworm sprites. That is a nice touch!

I am also always happy to see the Playstation exclusive levels getting some love. You might want to make a full episode of them, like Xaser's excellent Lost Episode!

Edited by Rudolph

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

EDIT: I seem to get stuck in the first secret room if I do not leave before the secret wall closes. I cannot get it open from the inside.

I object to having a static sky texture that depicts lightnings. It looks kind of silly to me, like the whole thing is frozen in time... unless that is what you were going for in the first place?

That aside, being away from my gaming PC right now, I am playing this with FreeDoom and I am pleasantly surprised to see the "nightmare" effect being applied to FreeDoom's Serpentine and Bloodworm sprites. That is a nice touch!

I am also always happy to see the Playstation exclusive levels getting some love. You might want to make a full episode of them, like Xaser's excellent Lost Episode!

Thanks for playing it!

Man, I can't believe I did that again D: I just fixed right away, I forgot to flip the linedef.

And I totally agree and thought the same x) The reason I'm using it is just because is too cool and I couldn't find anything similar (and I'm not that great in graphics stuff so I cannot give it a proper animation).

That's cool! I don't know how FreeDoom works, but it seems like it just gets the doom actors and apply them its modifications, cause the "nightmare" thing is just a render effect applied to the sprites.

Yeah, it is in the plan :D Hoping to maintain a certain quality

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

How do I get to the secret Megasphere?

Spoiler

You have to get on the teleport platform in the water from the higher side, so strafe "jumping" from the step after the cave. That's why it is sloped and has blood on that side :D

The detail is phenomenal, the gameplay kept me on the edge of my seat, and the 10 secret count keeps me coming back for more to find what I missed the first time around.  Well done, I can't wait to play the other remakes you've made.

3 hours ago, DTSlayer said:

The detail is phenomenal, the gameplay kept me on the edge of my seat, and the 10 secret count keeps me coming back for more to find what I missed the first time around.  Well done, I can't wait to play the other remakes you've made.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
There are not many maps to remake left "unfortunately", but I'll try my best!