Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

post about your favorite dinosaur

what is your favorite dinosaur and why?

i am partial to the domestic/feral pigeon (Columba livia)

800px-WinterPigeons02.jpg

i like that they can suction drink, are good flyers with vertical take off adaptations and can produce crop milk. like a lot of avians they can also be quite intelligent. it's also cool that any time you look at a flock of them there is plenty of individual variation in their plumage

It's still unbelievable yet amazingly fascinating to me that birds are the official descendants of dinosaurs.

original.jpg

main-qimg-d893b031d48246aea521d04b31ad5d

you can probably guess why my favorite is the Gentoo penguin 

Spoiler

MC5qcGc

There's a couple near my house that wake me up at 4 AM, but I just can't hate 'em

qjQQxol.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaw

I love Macaws, parrots in general really but Crimson Macaws are the most wonderful and majestic fellas I have ever seen.

I've always wanted a Parrot but I refuse to have one, it wouldn't feel right, they deserve to be free.

Second place is Dread Saurian, not real but fight me.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

i love kingfishers they are so SQUARE

look at this oblong doofus looks like he was sprited for a bitmap bros game

image.png.976347314573076b1b5e87b13b006729.png

also love all corvids and all small curious birds like robins (passerine birds?)

This little sucker. We have a lot of those around here, they make the weirdest call. 

Nightjar_close-up_Copyright-BTO1.jpg

090630-F-6844O-117_(3708202276).jpg

For as much I like the penguin, I don't think they can quite match up to the B-52 Stratosaurus. 

Bird: ducks and geese. Snipes are good too. And most types of sea bird.

Prehistoric dinosaur:

800px-Amphicoelias_Krasiejow.jpg

M. Fragilimus, a sauropod known only from two huge fossils which are now lost forever. Long story short: the interpretation of said fossils have been controversial and over the years the creature connected to it has been interpreted as: the largest land animal that ever existed, a mistake/hoax, and a misinterpretation of a quite-a-lot-smaller animal. Personally I would like to believe in the "huge even by sauropod standards" version (~200 feet long), but the most recent "similar to other sauropod sizes" interpretations (~110 feet) are probably more accurate.

The story of the fossil on its own is fascinating imo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maraapunisaurus

So much for evolution, penguins lose rock, paper, scissors to raptors every single time.

On 6/25/2022 at 6:11 PM, Crystal-Hawk_D00M said:

It's gotta be the dvinosaurus. I mean, just look at it!

cvaU8xs.jpg

Sort of cute, but maybe that's just me.

Looks like some giant salamander to me. (Do Amphibians count as dinosaurs?)

Ha, I came in to post a bird to find you'd already done the switcheroo.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:52 AM, raymoohawk said:

what is your favorite dinosaur and why?

i am partial to the domestic/feral pigeon (Columba livia)

800px-WinterPigeons02.jpg

i like that they can suction drink, are good flyers with vertical take off adaptations and can produce crop milk. like a lot of avians they can also be quite intelligent. it's also cool that any time you look at a flock of them there is plenty of individual variation in their plumage

They also shit up to 10 times an hour. It's been a war to keep them off the balconies in my building. Being woken up by horny pigeons at 5am probably a hundred times to later on walk out and discover their odious little presents has filled my heart with everlasting rage and hatred for these little assholes. Only the wood pigeon gets my love.

Much as I hate the pigeons, even worse are the seagulls that have moved in en masse and are at least doubling per year, killing lots of pigeons, ducklings, goslings and even a ducks.

Fave? I'd probably pick something exotic, a birds-of-paradise or the blue footed booby. But closer to home and speaking of dinosaur-like, ever seen a moorhen's legs? There's a moorhen couple that have managed to keep 4 of their 5 chicks alive (all but one were dead within weeks last year). They are such good parents this time round, much more on it than the geese which have lost more than half of their goslings this year. Seeing a little moorhen go headlong for a seagull twice its size swooping down to grab a chick and successfully see it off lifts the heart somehow. So the common moorhen, with its ridiculously long, ridiculously green scaly legs:

550px-Common_Moorhen.jpg

15 hours ago, pcorf said:

Looks like some giant salamander to me. (Do Amphibians count as dinosaurs?)

they don't, they seem like cool animals tho

segrjrE.png

lots of good favorites here. nice that penguins are getting so much love :)

On 6/26/2022 at 1:32 AM, Wyrmwood said:

So much for evolution, penguins lose rock, paper, scissors to raptors every single time.

Who's to say raptors have feathers. Unless the raptors are going up against Australian penguins raptors will loose to hypothermia.

image.png.e0e40cb2069bf649cafef6a6648add7d.png

Oddly enough, I was apparently the first person to use the word Triceratops in these forums, and I shall now become the most recent.

My favorite is dimetrodon

Joking

I don't have a favorite but I really like Herrerasaurus, they are very archaic, they even had reduced fourth and fifth digits in their hands and a fifth reduced digit in their feet, not shown in the illustration though.

EaPSr9eWoAEAf3y?format=jpg&name=large

tumblr_lxwzx8iqT11qezegbo1_250.gifv

6 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Argentinosaurus because Argentina

I will see the Gaucho that keeps these :P

I also ever liked Iguanodon and Deinonychus, poor Creature is often shown being attacked by them.
And yes, when Jurassic Park arrived i was like: "Why do they name the Deinonychus Raptor?",  was about 6 haha.

Hola-Iguanodon-fotosdelanaturaleza.es_-4

From the feathered Depictions i really like these ones, as the look reeeeally natural (most are looking strange).

latest?cb=20190126204443&f=1&nofb=1

Deinonychus_ewilloughby_2931.jpg&f=1&nof

deinonychus_antirrhopus_2015_by_delirio8

Found now that Replica, doesn't look as bad.

deinonychus_juvenile_sculpt__p__s__by_pe3

Btw. i don't believe that adult Tyranosarus had Feathers, too big.

Spoiler

I mean, how does this look? Really unnatural, even unhealthy:

1405566771000-dinosaurs.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

18DINO-master675.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

But that one could convince me, if they find more evidence with Hairs some Day:

d9dwo0o-ded3b011-02ed-47a2-9a2d-0da6bf6b

But young ones, seem really logical (i think it was a Nature Article where i first seen these ones).

It holds them warm and maybe helps them hiding from other Carnivores.

watson-adventures-amnh-t-rex-hatchling-e

I wish Jurassic Park would become real :>

10 hours ago, Azuris said:

Btw. i don't believe that adult Tyranosarus had Feathers, too big.

I know the science is changing constantly on this, but as I understand it you’re probably right:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/t-rex-skin-was-not-covered-feathers-study-says-180963603/

They’ve found skin impressions from Tyrannosaurs on several occasions and none of them show any evidence of feathers.