Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ARMCoder

EOH Ratanaba 3.0 Dual (Director's Cut) in /idgames [Doom II][Vanilla+GZDoom]

Aug 01, 2022: Version 3.0 released to /idgames

No changes were made from the previous release.

There are two separate releases, one for Vanilla Doom2 and one for GZDoom (with enhanced effects and decorations).

Vanilla:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/eoh-ratanaba

GZDoom enhanced:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/eohzratanaba

Have fun!

Jul 20, 2022: Version 3.0 Director's Cut is out!

This version aims to improve the ending of the previous Ratanaba map. The previous map received some good reviews but the last arena was perceived as being too cryptic and overwhelming, so I decided to create a whole new ending to the map. This new ending is way more conventional, but still fast-paced and action-packed.

Several minor bugs (mostly involving texture alignments) were fixed in this version. Additionally, few minor adjustments were made in the gameplay along other parts of the map.

This is also the first version to bring two WADs, one made for vanilla engines, and the other in UDMF format with several aesthetic effects - tested on GZDoom. Beyond that, both WADs have identical gameplay.

Download link: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/eoh-ratanaba-30-dual-directors-cut

Jun 26, 2022: Version 2.0 is out!

New Single Map for Doom II!

This time you can go explore an ancient Alien city lost in the midst of the Amazon rainforest!

Abstract:

IRL, urban legends (more precisely, money-seeking crooks) have been saying lately that there's an ancient Alien city lost in the midst of the Brazilian Amazon rainforest. This is a great inspiration for a Doom map, anyway!

Again, this is a single map where the player progresses through all the weapons, from pistol to BFG and faces increasigly bigger monsters, until reaching the final boss battle.

• Difficulty settings are implemented
  • Ambience is mixed as this is a supposedly ancient but alien city. Expect to find urban, castle, dungeon, tech...
  • Difficulty is not very high but the design is aimed at experienced players. Expect to have a good deal of workload in UV. The monster count is over 200, not really large but way higher than the screenshots may suggest.
  • Totally vanilla, no scripting, legacy Doom format. For those who want to be old-school for a change.
  • Contains secret areas, none of them mandatory to beat the map, but they help.
  • The final showdown requires some exploration and strategy. Hint: its very loosely based upon the levels 'Icon of Sin' and 'The Crusher'.

ModDB link: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/eohratanaba-20

Have fun!

Some screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_162954.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163048.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163310.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163333.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163416.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163602.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163815.png.74316b8a08f7519555bf84f137dd9ecb.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_163733.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_164335.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220624_164457.png

Edited by ARMCoder : New version released

Looks pretty nice, but it have a few issues on vanillaA visplane overflow right on the beginning and some tutti-frutti textures as well. You need to test your map on chocolate-doom or choco-render-limits to ensure vanilla compatibility.

Edited by Noiser

@Noiser I tested the map in Choco. And yes, the visplane overflow may occur due to, hum, an easter egg I placed behind the trees in the very first sector and can be triggered if you look  back enough.

The colored textures you've mentioned I saw appearing close to the end of this map, I've seen them occuring in other maps in Choco, they are a complete mystery to me! But they are just regular textures over regular surfaces, I don't know why this happens at all!

And finally, thanks for your observations!

Edited by ARMCoder

@BiodegradableNice review, you are a speedrunner! A couple tips, you missed the BFG *twice* (it's in a darker area but not pitch black and not hidden at all). And the twin switches close to the exit door have a very useful feature, but you found them too late...

Thank you!

Hi folks! New version 2.0 of EOH:Ratanaba is out!

I did a lot of work to get the most of this map, and now I have the version 2.0 to share.

The new version was based upon users' feedback and a lot of further testing of my part. But to make things more interesting, besides basic corrections, I added some new stuff to the map.

What's new:

• The MIDI track was remastered to be gentler to the player's ears (I was getting headaches from long exposures to the track, some high-pitched notes were loud and overwhelming).
  • Visplane overflow issue in Chocolate solved (was caused by a needless easter egg - now removed).
  • Extensive texture rework and testing, from simple basic aesthetics to tutti-frutti issues solving in Chocolate. Now I hope the map is fully vanilla compatible!
  • Lighting in some sectors was improved.
  • Added several traps and encounters to stir things up a little more.
  • A few more pickups added.
  • One secret room added.
  • Now the player can backtrack from the final area to the city area (the final platform can be raised and lowered back and forth, it's no longer stuck).
  • Several tweaks in the final arena were done to make it easier to to get the grasp of; linedef specials bugs fixed;  the main lift now provides a better protection against enemy fire; a new lift was added close to the entry point to access the upper aisles, and is made available after some player's actions.

In my humble opinion, the experience with this new map is quite better than in the previous incarnation. I hope you like it!

Download it at: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/eohratanaba-20

Have fun!

Edited by ARMCoder

I failed to spot the Icon of Sin so I ended up getting killed. There were a few times I rewinded in the final arena, but after not finding the Romero Head and running short on time, it just seemed better to quit while I was ahead. I certainly wasn't expecting the ending to be so difficult.  Recorded on DSDA Doom with complevel 2.

lmd_ratanaba.zip

4 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I failed to spot the Icon of Sin so I ended up getting killed. There were a few times I rewinded in the final arena, but after not finding the Romero Head and running short on time, it just seemed better to quit while I was ahead. I certainly wasn't expecting the ending to be so difficult.  Recorded on DSDA Doom with complevel 2.

lmd_ratanaba.zip

Nice demo, you played well, but the final arena may be quite a puzzle so I will lay out some tips (spoilers ahead). I separated the tip lines so you can read one at a time, at will, between attempts, or read all at once if you prefer.

Good luck!

Spoiler

There's no Icon Of Sin (aka Romero's head) to be destroyed, your sole mission is to open the exit door and traverse it. Of course the resistance is very fierce as you saw (on a technical side note, the Romero's head and the flying cubes that spawn monsters are completely unrelated things, they just happen to be used together in the original Doom2's Icon of Sin map and others).

There are 4 switches around the arena (green bricks), they all have to be activated (any order will do). There's a switch at the center of the arena (it's at a metal box with a lamp signaling it), this will raise the Cyber's pit floor. Don't fall into the pit while it's still lowered, there's no escape from there. These 5 switches are mandatory. In the end, there will be an "Exit" switch where was the center of the pit that will unlock the exit door.

The two switches around the exit door start crushers that will dispatch the Revs and Archies at the upper corridors. You can then enter the crushers later, they will stop moving. This is not mandatory to win the mission, but makes it a lot easier.

There are several tetris-shaped blocks spread around the arena. You can lower one of these blocks to pick an invuln orb by stepping on a blinking corner of a neighboring tetris block. Both are close to the central metal box.

By walking through the upper corridors, a second lift will be revealed below the entryway, it may be useful since enemy resistance is usually lesser there.

Edited by ARMCoder

Jul 20, 2022: Version 3.0 Director's Cut is out!

Please check the OP for details.

Have fun!

Aug 01, 2022: Version 3.0 released to /idgames

No changes were made from the previous release.

There are two separate releases, one for Vanilla Doom2 and one for GZDoom (with enhanced effects and decorations).

Vanilla:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/eoh-ratanaba

GZDoom enhanced:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/eohzratanaba

Have fun!

2 hours ago, Custom Longplay said:

As always, it was a feast for the eyes to play the map!

I had a lot of fun watching my map with all these mods! Just a tip, in the last arena it's better to enter it and fight the Cybers from inside, instead of locking yourself out!