Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tbdhardcorps

Looking for a simple trigger activation mod

I've been playing with various doom gameplay mods that have custom weapons and noticed that some of the custom weapons will not activate shootable switches. For example, using the Terrorists! gameplay mod on Sigil's first room will not let me activate the switch and exit the room. Is there a mod, or a simple solution to activating the unactivatable? Thanks for any help!

No, because they're firing projectiles, and projectiles can't trigger shootable switches. That's why you can't trigger them with the rocket launcher, plasma rifle, or BFG in Doom. Only hitscan weapons can trigger them. I imagine if one were so inclined, you could alter the mod so that the weapons are turned into hitscan weapons instead of projectile weapons, but that reduces the reason to even use a gameplay altering mod in the first place.

Your best option is probably just to noclip past whatever obstacle the switch controls that's blocking your patch. And I guess in Terrorist, the kick counts as a hitscan, the taser probably does too, I didn't bother loading a level with both a chainsaw and a shootable switch to test the taser though. But in most cases you'd still have to noclip or fly to be able to reach the switch anyway. Probably easier to just skip whatever the switch activates.

17 minutes ago, Jello said:

No, because they're firing projectiles, and projectiles can't trigger shootable switches. That's why you can't trigger them with the rocket launcher, plasma rifle, or BFG in Doom. Only hitscan weapons can trigger them. I imagine if one were so inclined, you could alter the mod so that the weapons are turned into hitscan weapons instead of projectile weapons, but that reduces the reason to even use a gameplay altering mod in the first place.

In GZDoom, rockets and plasma trigger shootable switches. (On a side note, if anyone knows how to turn this off, please let me know, because I couldn't find an option for this anywhere.)

14 minutes ago, m8f said:

My add-on m_Gizmos allows throwing junk (zero-damage hitscan attack).

I knew I had seen this somewhere before, but couldn't remember the name! This should solve your problem, OP.

1 hour ago, m8f said:

My add-on m_Gizmos allows throwing junk (zero-damage hitscan attack).

Interesting, I hope you'll forgive me for not knowing about this. But yeah, I suppose this would work as well, since it's a hit-scan with unlimited distance. Neat, I learn something new every day. 

1 hour ago, Shepardus said:

In GZDoom, rockets and plasma trigger shootable switches. (On a side note, if anyone knows how to turn this off, please let me know, because I couldn't find an option for this anywhere.)

Alright... now I'm having some kind of weird mental crisis, where my very perception of reality seems wrong and warped.

I've been using GZDoom for well over a decade at this point, and this is the first time I've ever heard this. At first I thought "Well... what kind of weird setting did Shepardus turn on to make that happen?" So I tried it, and my jaw dropped. Apparently I have never even considered hitting a shootable switch with a projectile in GZDoom before, and if I managed to hit one by accident, I never noticed it. I have always switched to a hitscan weapon to shoot them, and why not? It's been drilled into me since I first played Doom that shootable switches need to be shot with a hitscan. 

Then I thought "Well, maybe it's just some weird quirk in GZDoom, let me try Zdoom. I'm sure you couldn't hit them with projectiles in Zdoom." Apparently I was wrong about that too. So I went back to Edge, because surely projectiles wouldn't trigger switches in Edge, right? Well they do.

The only two source ports I tried where they didn't trigger them were Chocolate Doom and Eternity.

So... now I have to question why the projectiles used in some mods don't trigger switches when used in GZDoom, which is what I tested this Terrorists! mod in.

Edited by Jello

1 hour ago, Jello said:

So... now I have to question why the projectiles used in some mods don't trigger switches when used in GZDoom, which is what I tested this Terrorists! mod in. 

My guess is that projectile hits a different linedef. If a switch is behind some kind of frame around it, then a big projectile will collide with the frame instead of the switch, and I think splash damage doesn't trigger switches.

37 minutes ago, m8f said:

My guess is that projectile hits a different linedef. If a switch is behind some kind of frame around it, then a big projectile will collide with the frame instead of the switch, and I think splash damage doesn't trigger switches.

Well, I just figured it out. I was looking at the wrong culprit. The issue in Sigil isn't that the projectiles in ww-terror.pk3 can't trigger switches. It's that in GZDoom and Zdoom, objects block projectiles. Didn't even think about that. And in the first level of Sigil, the wall that's the actual trigger is behind an Evil Eye. So when I shot it with the weapons in the mod, the projectiles were being blocked by the eye.

When I switched back to doom.wad in GZDoom/Zdoom, the rockets/plasma/BFG that I was able to get through the small gap stopped at the Eye. Noclipping behind the Eye and shooting the wall with a projectile directly triggered the switch. In Eternity, the projectiles that got through the small gap went through the eye, but obviously didn't trigger the switch. 

Went back into it with ww-terror loaded in GZDoom and I just shot off to the side of the eye and the bullet hit the wall, triggered the switch, and the path forward opened. All you have to do is shoot around it and it'll work fine. So yeah, this was a lovely waste of time. But at least I learned something new about projectiles in Z/GZDooms. I'm still switching to a hitscan weapon to trigger shootable switches though.

Edited by Jello

Go to compatibility options, physics behavior, and set "use Doom heights for missile clipping" to "yes". You can now safely trigger Sigil's evil eye switches with projectiles.

But you can no longer use trees and flaming barrels as cover from enemy projectiles.

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

Go to compatibility options, physics behavior, and set "use Doom heights for missile clipping" to "yes". You can now safely trigger Sigil's evil eye switches with projectiles.

But you can no longer use trees and flaming barrels as cover from enemy projectiles.

I think it's time for bed. I was relatively certain there was some setting somewhere that addressed that, but I guess I missed it multiple times. Thanks. It would be nice if there was something that turned off the projectiles triggering switches though, it just seems so... unwholesome to me. 

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yes, I was about to recommend that compatibility flag too. For some reason, though, Sigil's switches don't activate with projectiles even with that flag enabled, even though the projectiles pass through the evil eye. My guess is that it has to do with how the shoot switch lines are actually in front of the wall rather than being the wall itself like your typical shoot switch.

25 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Yes, I was about to recommend that compatibility flag too. For some reason, though, Sigil's switches don't activate with projectiles even with that flag enabled, even though the projectiles pass through the evil eye. My guess is that it has to do with how the shoot switch lines are actually in front of the wall rather than being the wall itself like your typical shoot switch.

That's odd, because I tested it after enabling that tag and the projectile went through and activated the switch. Don't know if it has to do with the GZDoom version, I'm using 4.7.1. Same with ZDoom, tested it in 2.8.1 and it worked fine. And even before I activated that flag I could still noclip behind the Evil Eye and shoot the wall and it would activate. Just couldn't shoot directly through it.

And I can't help but notice that the OP has only made one post in this topic... Yeah it's time for bed.

20 minutes ago, Jello said:

That's odd, because I tested it after enabling that tag and the projectile went through and activated the switch. Don't know if it has to do with the GZDoom version, I'm using 4.7.1. Same with ZDoom, tested it in 2.8.1 and it worked fine. And even before I activated that flag I could still noclip behind the Evil Eye and shoot the wall and it would activate. Just couldn't shoot directly through it.

It depends on the version of Sigil. In the changelog, under v1.1 -> v1.2: "fixed all eye switches to prevent triggering by zdoom projectiles and a slew of related potential soft-locks"

This was my first post here and everyone has been really friendly and helpful, thanks all! I will check out the compatability options and the m_Gizmos mod as suggested. I love Doom.

19 hours ago, Shepardus said:

It depends on the version of Sigil. In the changelog, under v1.1 -> v1.2: "fixed all eye switches to prevent triggering by zdoom projectiles and a slew of related potential soft-locks"

That is very interesting, I didn't even think of changes to Sigil itself. And yeah, I was using v1.1, so I could still trigger them with projectiles, after trying out v1.2 they wouldn't trigger. So that probably led to even more confusion. Oh well, thanks for helping get the mystery solved, appreciate it.

5 hours ago, tbdhardcorps said:

This was my first post here and everyone has been really friendly and helpful, thanks all! I will check out the compatability options and the m_Gizmos mod as suggested. I love Doom.

You're very welcome, glad we could help... eventually. I did learn a couple of things as well I guess, so I'm glad you asked. And welcome to Doomworld, enjoy your stay!