Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Steam Summer Sale 2023

323-3237345_resident-evil-4-merchant-png

Alright ladies, gents and in-betweens, what are you

BUYIN'?

SELLIN'?

HOPIN' (to purchase)?

Me: Going to pick up S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Forsaken Remastered and maybe a few others once my paycheck hits. 

I picked up assassins creed odyssey a week ago more to explore the world and was delighted to see it has a discovery tour. Next it'll be either  forgotten city or metro exodus. Or both.

Everything on my wishlist is either yet to be released, or won't run on my toaster.

I'll probably go through the recent shmup thread for recommendations, though, and keep an eye on this one in case any massive deals pop up...

qH1UwKE.png
Thought £31 for The Operational Art of War was a bit steep, but I figured I've been waiting over 2 years for them to lower it, so at this rate they never will.

The first and only thing I bought?

Powerslave Exhumed. 'Bout time it got a discount.

Now I'm just waiting for Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course's release.

I’m probably going to grab Total Warhammer 3 since it’s 10% off so I can lose my life to it in August with Immortal Empires. Before that I’ll be playing that Hellpoint DLC that’s out in a few weeks.

Other than that, not much has caught my eye. I might try Pathologic 2. That or Inscryption, even though I watched someone else play it.

Edit: Our Shmup thread reminded me of Zero-Ranger, I’ll check it out too.

Edited by BGrieber : shmup stuf!

G-Darius HD, Darius Cozmic Collection, R-Type Final 2, Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga, COD MW Remastered. May be a couple more. But it all came under £150!

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

Picked up the Alltynex trilogy of shmups - Kamui, Alltynex Second and Reflex.

Same! I actually ended up picking up quite a few titles from an overview vid that @Sena posted in the shmup thread; but something about the style of Kamui made it one of the easier decisions.

13 hours ago, Sena said:

Thought £31 for The Operational Art of War was a bit steep, but I figured I've been waiting over 2 years for them to lower it, so at this rate they never will.

Would it help if you think of it as spending money, but not spending time trying to play wargames via Vassal?

Cluster Truck
Among the Sleep - Enhanced Edition
Powerslave Exhumed
Sludge Life
Call of Duty - Black Ops 3
Rayze
Crossbow - Bloodnight
Elderborn
Traction Control
Postal - Brain Damage
art of rally
Ghostrunner
Cyber Hook
TABS

Picked up SiN Gold, Ion Fury and Painkiller: Black Edition

I'll probably pick up Postal Brain Damaged, Arthurian Legends or Skyrim at some point next week

11 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Would it help if you think of it as spending money, but not spending time trying to play wargames via Vassal?

In actuality, I didn't really think of it in any real capacity beyond "I haven't bought anything in close to 2 years so might as well indulge". Hasn't worked out for me so far, only game I've played as of now is When I Was Young, and I had to refund it because it was a story-driven game by a Russian studio who clearly needed a better translation team, seeing as every other sentence in the game is spelled abhorrently wrong.

27 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

On a JRPG binge currently. Any recommendations that are on sale?

The last JRPG that I played recently that I really enjoyed was Trials of Mana, looks like it's 50% off right now. It's a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 (which was never released outside of Japan, although it did get a very good ROM translation eventually), but done in 3D. And they actually cared to properly transition it to 3D and make a good game out of it, unlike those atrocious cash grab 3D ports of Final Fantasy 3 and 4. 

It's not an incredibly deep game, but it does have six different characters, each with their own main story. So you select one as your main character, who will be the focus, and then a second character who's story will also be explored but in less detail, and then a third character who's just kind of along. So there's multiple ways to build your party and experience the story, so there's some decent replay value.

It also has a demo if you want to give it a spin before buying, but I'd say I certainly got my money's worth out of it. 

5 minutes ago, Jello said:

The last JRPG that I played recently that I really enjoyed was Trials of Mana, looks like it's 50% off right now. It's a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 (which was never released outside of Japan, although it did get a very good ROM translation eventually), but done in 3D. And they actually cared to properly transition it to 3D and make a good game out of it, unlike those atrocious cash grab 3D ports of Final Fantasy 3 and 4. 

It's not an incredibly deep game, but it does have six different characters, each with their own main story. So you select one as your main character, who will be the focus, and then a second character who's story will also be explored but in less detail, and then a third character who's just kind of along. So there's multiple ways to build your party and experience the story, so there's some decent replay value.

It also has a demo if you want to give it a spin before buying, but I'd say I certainly got my money's worth out of it. 

This and Tales of Arise were the two I was considering the most, but I heard ToM is too easy even on hard, which puts me off a bit. There are some difficulty mods, but then I'm taking a gamble as to how well balanced they are.

5 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This and Tales of Arise were the two I was considering the most, but I heard ToM is too easy even on hard, which puts me off a bit. There are some difficulty mods, but then I'm taking a gamble as to how well balanced they are.

Yeah, it's not terribly difficult, no. But neither was Secret of Mana on SNES. I think it's worth it for the charm, stories, and characters. Although to be fair, most of the JRPG's that I've played have tended towards the easy side anyway. I can't remember what the demo encompasses, if it's a decent representation of the game or not, but it might be worth a try.

Picked up Hitman 3 and the latest Crusader Kings 3 expansion. I'm a sucker for that "deeply unpleasant rich person stands underneath a conspicuous chandelier" formula.

Probably just going to grab Cozy Grove, a bunch of visual novels, and Descent (been on a nostalgia kick lately). RE:Village tempts me as well, but still not sure. 

grabbed my absolute favorite game of all time yesterday. middle earth shadow of war. this is gonna be my 4th playthrough of the game ever since its released

On 6/24/2022 at 1:06 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

323-3237345_resident-evil-4-merchant-png

Alright ladies, gents and in-betweens, what are you

HOPIN' (to purchase)?

Eroge, lots of eroge

(But I don't need any more, so I won't)

I figure I might get the Steam Deck killer app: "Elf Wives Cheat to Beat My Meat"...

But I just bought Doom 64 and Carrion from GOG so my wallet needs to rest a bit.

The retro FPS:s that I bought this time were Quake 2, Descent and Daikatana (mostly because I have heard that it's decent with the fan patch). Probably also gonna buy HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel and HeXen 2 during the sale.

Some other games I bought were:

Sanitarium, a point and click horror game that has intrigued me for quite long now. I really like it's visuals and v i b e.

Yomawari: Midnight Shadows, a cutesy 2D horror game. It has some annoying jumpscares, but I generally like the mixing of cute and spooky.

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma, a visual novel/puzzle game and the last part of the Zero Escape series. I have only played 999 at this point and I have heard that this one is shit, but it was cheap enough now for me to buy and I want to see if it's actually that bad.

@Thelokk got any visual novel recommendations? Generally anything that isn't purely/only a romance sim would be nice. (I do have like a 30 vn backlog already, so fuck, but more is always good)

@Alaxzandarz assuming you covered all the classics (you know, Key, Nitro etc) two very good indie ones I just finished are SeaBed, and The House in Fata Morgana, both on Steam. Another indie homerun one is Ori, Ochi, Onoe by ATP, it's free and, while the visuals are an acquired taste, the story is stellar.

I already knew of Fata Morg (among the 30), but the other two were new to me. VNDB says that Ori, Ochi, Onoe is only two hours long (actually so does the site you linked lmao) and cause it's free, I'm prolly gonna play that one soon. I have played very few <5h vns, so it's a nice change of pace. Thank you

You mean 2022, right? If you've perfected time-travel, you could really help the rest of us out by sharing the knowledge ;)

I recently got a more powerful laptop that can handle more modern games than my old one could. Bought the Tomb Raider bundle and am working my way through Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I've not gotten anything yet but...

Neon White caught my eye within the sea of announcments, might be fun.

I've recently gotten very into Warhammer 40k so I'll probably get Mechanicus.

Everyone and their mum says that Inscryption is very good so I'll think about that one.

I tried Cruelty Squad before and it didn't click with me, but now I'm thinking of giving it another shot.

I'm sure i'll find other things.

1 hour ago, Mr Masker said:

I tried Cruelty Squad before and it didn't click with me, but now I'm thinking of giving it another shot.

A severely acquired taste. I love its style but it’s not for everyone, and that can be frustrating for some considering there’s a very fun game wrapped around it’s artstyle; very open-ended and replayable levels.

I ended up grabbing Hypnospace Outlaw. Barely had any idea what I was getting into and I’m very thankful for that! I’d recommend you consider doing the same for Inscryption if you’re looking into it.