Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

Doom RPG Port Reverse Engineering Update (version 0.2.2) Source Code Release

Llevaba esperando años porque alguien lograra hacer ésto realidad. Uno de mis Doom favoritos que me ha acompañado en cada dispositivo móvil que he tenido desde los "dumbphones" en donde salió originalmente hasta emulado en Windows y Android 11, y ahora gracias a la pasión de la comunidad al fin ha sido porteado para seguir luchando contra las hordas del infierno directamente en PC. Muchas gracias por todo su esfuerzo.

Perdona la pregunta pero tengo curiosidad ¿Ésto abre la posibilidad de crear mods con mapas y gráficos customizados como ya sucede con otros ports?

This is just, incredible, never thought that I will saw something like this before

Nice. Was wondering if this would ever become a faithful mod for GZDoom or officially rereleased/remastered. Next best thing!

I'm having trouble getting this to run. I found DoomRPG on Archive, and I've used BarToZip to convert it. But the resulting Zip (328KB) returns the error "Unexpected end of archive," and the port returns the error "cannot find end of central directory."

edit: Nevermind! I was trying to drag and drop "DoomRPG.bar" onto BarToZip, but the correct way is to copy the .bar file into the same folder as BarToZip, and then run BarToZip directly. I now have a working "DoomRPG.zip" weighing in at a healthy 1898KB.

Will you be releasing the source? I'd definitely be keen on comparing my own reverse engineering notes.

Runs great for me so far. Would like to see a few more quality of life features, like upscaling 2D elements like the dialogue text box to be a bit less squint-worthy on modern displays, but it's definitely great as it stands!

Seconding the interest in a source code release - it'd be cool to see people build upon this and turn it into a full-fledged remaster - and would love to see you continue on to resurrect other Id Mobile games!

Just now, elden4 said:

wow thanks ! is there a way to play the second episode too?

If you mean Doom II RPG that's a completely different game on a much more advanced engine.

Just now, Quasar said:

If you mean Doom II RPG that's a completely different game on a much more advanced engine.

yes ! I mean that one too!

If this port gets any big future updates, my biggest wishes are:

1. Some way to multiply the video's scale. eg: 320x200 resolution running at 5x scale. (I ended up capturing DoomRPG's window in OBS, and used OBS's full-screen preview instead. The text is so tiny normally, especially at higher render resolutions.)

2. Don't lock the mouse cursor when the window is focused. Right now, moving the window around is kinda fiddly.

3. Some way to clear input binds individually. eg: Using Backspace or Delete while hovering over a bind.

That said, it's really cool to finally be able to experience this game. I've only played the first level so far, but something about it strikes me as a very cute take on Doom.

a small suggestion: add an option to set game resolution. yeah, i know that the game doesn't like resolutions too high and graphics become a little bit glitchy (like pixelated floors/ceilings and broken FOV on wide resolutions), but it would be nice anyways :)

ah, there is one in the settings, even though the maximum is 800x600. didn't notice it at first.

good job!

Edited by usernameak

1 minute ago, RonMan32 said:

What are all the controls on keyboard?

Check them out in the Options - Input - Bindings.

SDL 2? So, theoretically it may work even on Windows XP. Could someone please try it out?

UPD: SP3 x86 says it's not a valid Win32 application. Probably, it requires modern C++ distributions that doesn't support Windows XP already.

Works alright on Windows 7 x64

Edited by Dimon12321

Great work!

Concerning the bindings I'm having an issue. If I try to change them before I start a game, any button I try to rebind crashes the game. If I try to change them when paused in a game session, the bindings will show the new button but then immediately revert to the old button. Any ideas?

This is incredible!! I'm so happy to see this game being kept alive, and done in such a tasteful way!

If only I hadn't already done a playthrough of the .jar version for my channel. Definitely going to give it a shoutout on yt tho!

Great news!  I've never understood why these Id RPG's have never seen a PC port.  A collection of Orcs and Elves 1&2, Doom 1&2 and Wolfenstein is surely a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, Average said:

Great news!  I've never understood why these Id RPG's have never seen a PC port.  A collection of Orcs and Elves 1&2, Doom 1&2 and Wolfenstein is surely a no-brainer.

The Orcs and elves 1 was released on the Nintendo DS.

Fantastic work! Thank you so much!

As Vermil told, Orcs & Elves 1 best played on NDS(though Brew version exists), but wonder if we may see Orcs & Elves 2 (j2me) and Wolfenstein RPG (j2me).